Set pieces

AldoKrfc

The moaning I hear at games when we do short corners really does my tits in so I thought I'd have a wee look through our goals to see how successful they are. 

We've scored 4 goals so far this season with our short corners but also scored 2 goals from short free kicks close to the 18 yard box. 

Im a bit surprised it's only 4 as I thought it had been a bit more successful than that but I still don't think it justifies any moaning if that's what the manager wants to do.

Out of our 88 goals this season 14 have came from set pieces which is about 1/6, or about 1/5 if you exclude pens (14/77). I reckon thats a good ratio but I've no idea how that compares with other seasons. 

Do you think the stats warrant doing short corners most of the time or would you rather get it in the box directly? 

With the amount of corners we win, I'm surprised we haven't scored more, you'd think we'd try and make more of them.

I can only presume that because most teams pack the defense the boss thinks short corners are the way to go.

There is a bit of predictability about our play though, the keeper more often than not passes the ball out, the short corners and substitutions on the 60min mark :D

11 minutes ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

With the amount of corners we win, I'm surprised we haven't scored more, you'd think we'd try and make more of them.

I can only presume that because most teams pack the defense the boss thinks short corners are the way to go.

There is a bit of predictability about our play though, the keeper more often than not passes the ball out, the short corners and substitutions on the 60min mark :D

We've had 237 corners and scored 5 goals from them meaning we score a goal in every 47 corners we have. Maybe we should be doing better with them ?

Don't have anyone to really make use of a high ball, I see Kiernan coming up often to try it but he's easily marked and shut down. 

Also Short corners will tire the opponents out faster since they need to put in more effort to get the ball off of us. and if they clear it, it's easily recovered and put back into the pressure zone. 

18 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Possession Possession Possession. 

It it really is as simple as that. 

This is exactly it. I would like to see stats on how often we loose the ball when we awing in a corner vs short corners. As an example, I believe you lose the ball 80% of the time when to goalkeeper plays it long as oppose to leading to a goalscoring opportunity 70% of the time when playing it short. Cant remember the numbers bur it was something crazy like that. Its all very well thought out!!

28 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Possession Possession Possession. 

It it really is as simple as that. 

Exactly.As long as we have the ball the opposition aren't going to score.Retain the ball and let them do all the chasing and work themselves into the ground.

7 hours ago, AldoKrfc said:

Well we do generally do both but we take short corners probably about 80% of the time. I'm happy with that but some people would prefer it the other way round.

Either way works for me, I can see the plus side of keeping possession with a short corner but I also think when we pull 2 or 3 defenders out of the box covering the said short corner there is a better chance of getting a good delivery into the box. 

I caused a mini shitstorm when I dared to raise this question after the Cowdenbeath game (called a cunt, told to stop moaning - the usual stuff I see on here all the time... although gladly not called a tim :541:) - even though most commenters misunderstood my point I tried to make.

To be fair I didn't really write down properly what I was trying to say in my head.

In my comment I didn't slag off Rangers style of play or the short corners at all, I actually prefer this style. I was asked if I had watched Rangers at all this season because we play short corners all the time. But I was merely trying to ask what was wrong with the corners SPECIFICALLY that day? I was informed Rangers scored two goals from short corners... although I missed one because I was taking a piss at the time, because what I saw was that several corners (much more than usual this season) were forced all the way back to our defenders and keeper. It was reminiscent of years gone by. And in a dire second half, set-plays needed to be different in my opinion.

Secondly, as many people state (and I can only reiterate that it is my preference) the majority of corners are played short.  So why do we keep sending up our tall CB's if the corners aren't going to be crossed into them? Danny W got his goal, but at every other corner he comes up for - and it is played short - there's no point in him being up there - or am I really just missing the point here? 

17 minutes ago, Ryju84 said:

:541:

Secondly, as many people state (and I can only reiterate that it is my preference) the majority of corners are played short.  So why do we keep sending up our tall CB's if the corners aren't going to be crossed into them? Danny W got his goal, but at every other corner he comes up for - and it is played short - there's no point in him being up there - or am I really just missing the point here? 

I think we are missing the point yes. 

When we send our taller players up it forces someone to mark them. Usually the opposition centre backs which means they aren't marking Waggy etc. 

We also provide more bodies to find with a pass, and since the opposition usually leave 1 up front we don't need to keep many back on the half way line marking. 

Thirdly, we try to work angles for a cross where the defence isn't set up like they are for the corner itself. We take it short and look to drag the opposition out of position. If the cross does come they aren't set up neatly like at a corner. 

Just now, trueblueal said:

I think we are missing the point yes. 

When we send our taller players up it forces someone to mark them. Usually the opposition centre backs which means they aren't marking Waggy etc. 

We also provide more bodies to find with a pass, and since the opposition usually leave 1 up front we don't need to keep many back on the half way line marking. 

Thirdly, we try to work angles for a cross where the defence isn't set up like they are for the corner itself. We take it short and look to drag the opposition out of position. If the cross does come they aren't set up neatly like at a corner

Thank you.

I can admit when I'm wrong, if someone provides a counter-argument that is productive. Your points make sense, but the two I have bolded in particular made me realise I'd be a shit manager because I didn't even think of those tactics

I love the short corners. 

The short corners give us much more chance of scoring each time, they don't give the opposition a chance to catch their breath either, other teams must dread our short corners because especially in the 2nd half - Barrie McKay normally always beat defenders from the short corner.

I'm sure our team know when long corners are better, because when we beat St Mirren 3-1 I'm sure the 1st Waldo goal was from a long corner which he volleyed in.