Barry Ferguson

Laudrup1690

Durant, D Ferguson and Souness, in the midfield at Ibrox against the mhanks was an absolute joy to watch, Souness guiding the kids, giving the youngsters the freedom to express themselves, oh happy days.

Having watched the Teddy Berrs since the sixties, if he hadn't sustained that injury I honestly think Durant could have gone on to be a world class midfielder, he had everything a then "modern day" midfielder required, vision, an incredible engine, and the sixth sense timing for getting into the opposition box to score at the crucial moment.

I still get angry even after all these years at the thought of being robbed of seeing a talent of that calibre being ruined by a nobody.

Is this for real? 

Am I actually reading Charlie Miller being compared favourably to Ian Durrant?

Baffling. Different league of players entirely. Wee Charlie wasn't anywhere near as good, nor did he ever have the potential to be anywhere near as good.

6 hours ago, sassaaaa said:

Fergusons best was when he was an attacking midfielder and it lasted about 18 months then he decided to pass sideways and very rarely go near the opponents box. For that 18 months he was superb .Without the injury Durrant would have been the best of the bunch.

Charlie Miller was shite.........

Totally agree - Ferguson stopped improving at about 21 or 22 and stayed at that same level with sideways passing becoming the norm. Pity as he had so much more to offer. Had Durrant not picked up that injury then our biggest problem would have been keeping him when the big guns from Italy and Spain would have come calling. 

4 hours ago, El-Hadji Spit RFC said:

Totally agree Barry Ferguson was a class act, great leader and was all about Rangers... That Bayern game, never a free kick n talk about spawny ??

Mols coulda been one of the greatest ever Rangers players imo. 

Was going to just like your post but couldn't agree more.

I thought Barry Ferguson was a great player, especially in the early years.

I was a bit young when Durrant got injured so didn't appreciate how good he was or the effect that it had on his career.

However, I believe if Mols hadn't got injured he would have went on to be one of the greatest Rangers. His movement and finishing were sublime.

I met him at Ibrox about a year ago and was so nervous about approaching him, felt like a kid again.

1 hour ago, Dubaijim said:

Totally agree - Ferguson stopped improving at about 21 or 22 and stayed at that same level with sideways passing becoming the norm. Pity as he had so much more to offer. Had Durrant not picked up that injury then our biggest problem would have been keeping him when the big guns from Italy and Spain would have come calling. 

Marhaba Ji

Excellent summation, always felt that Ferguson was often correctly described as the Rangers McStay, always had loads of potential.

1999, Miller was the one Scottish player among st the Amos, Amatos, Porrinis, etc who could really have made an impact.  Sadly he preferred the booze.

Durrant, like Mols, if only he hadn't gotten injured or in the case of Durrant been so brutally attacked.  Simpson got away with GBH on a football field yet today as fans we can be jailed for singing.  Really?

6 hours ago, Dubaijim said:

Agree, I think the managers influence would have nudged him in that direction. As for Barry , wrong team wrong time comes to mind . The Advocaat era Ferguson could have played for any of the top English sides of the time. Not sure why he gets it so tight from some at times, probably the PLG episode but hindsights a great thing & most fans at the time would agree that PLG's revolution wasn't working at the time & didn't look like paying dividends any time soon. As an aside, does anyone think that Charlie ,Derek or Barry's return from injury would have attracted over 12 000 to a reserve game.

23 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Marhaba Ji

Excellent summation, always felt that Ferguson was often correctly described as the Rangers McStay, always had loads of potential.

1999, Miller was the one Scottish player among st the Amos, Amatos, Porrinis, etc who could really have made an impact.  Sadly he preferred the booze.

Durrant, like Mols, if only he hadn't gotten injured or in the case of Durrant been so brutally attacked.  Simpson got away with GBH on a football field yet today as fans we can be jailed for singing.  Really?

The Rangers McStay?

Fuck sake :power_of_anguish:

Derek Ferguson was just as I was getting interested in football so don't know enough about him, my old man always says he was a great player and could have gone on to acheive much more in the game. Barry was excellent for Rangers especially in the year or two he played AM, he genuinely was one of the best midfielders in europe!

Durrant however I feel could have been better than him barring injury, his runs beyond the strikers and goals from midfield were outstanding. The player I have seen since that I think Durrant would have turned out like is Paul Scholes.

Charlie Miller couldn't lace the other three's boots in my opinion! Still a talent and subsequent waste of talent but miles off the other three!

27 minutes ago, Bristoe1872 said:

Was it not the Bayer Leverkusen manager who said Barry was worth 15 million after we beat his side in Germany and Ferguson ran the show? My best memory of him though was the cup final against the filth when he controlled the entire game. Class act. 

I was at that game in Leverkusen and tbh he dominated the  game & the one against the filth in the same way as he done when I had seen him playing games for his primary school in Bellshill. He made it look easy. Personally I think we could've got 15 million if we had sold him at that time , but with Gio van B always likely to move on then was unlikely that both would be sold. Always felt his game suffered when he tried to do others jobs & not just focus on his own performances. At the time though definitely a class act who always played with his head up and seemed to have time on the ball. There's highlights of the Leverkusen game on Rangers classic matches dvd , well worth watching.

Easy to pick best player.

1.Durrant

Skillfull, Athletic,Quick and read the game brilliantly? had goals in him and easily the best of the four.

2.Barry Ferguson 

Winner,focused, aggressive great passer and kept possession against the cream of europe at a young age.

3.Charlie Miller

Talented but suffered badly from Gascoignes arrival and love of the swally  . If he'd been more professional he'd have been second to Durrant and have a sackfull of Scotland caps . Had a decent carreer despite carry a beer belly around . Technically gifted and had eye for goal.

4.Derek Ferguson 

Skillfull ,read the game brilliantly but was slow and made of glass . Sadly never really showed how good he could have been.

12 minutes ago, Ryju84 said:

It sounds like such a cliche but he would slot amazingly into this team.

I think it's testament to what the team has become under Warbuton that you could pick any decent player from our past and they would slot easily into our current team!