Rangers' recruitment process needs to be reassessed

Siam69

Richard Wilson piece, who for me is the best journalist out there who covers us, though to be fair, that's not saying much

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35414328

Rangers' recruitment process needs to be reassessed

By Richard Wilson

BBC Scotland

1 hour ago

Rangers missed out on signing Toumani Diagouraga

So far, it is doubts that Rangers have acquired during the January transfer window.

The plan was to sign Toumani Diagouraga from Brentford and Michael O'Halloran from St Johnstone, but both deals stalled.

The former has since moved to Leeds United, while Saints manager Tommy Wright intends to select the latter in his Scottish League Cup semi-final team against Hibernian on Saturday.

In the meantime, focus has fallen on comments made previously by Rangers chairman Dave King, about over-investment and the level of finance required to re-establish the club.

The club ought to review their entire recruitment strategy at the end of this window, since at least one of the manager's preferred targets moved elsewhere, but that includes more than the level of finance available.

O'Halloran (left) remains with St Johnstone for the time being

High wage bill

King and fellow investors will have provided between £15m and £19m by the end of the season.

That includes share purchases as well as loans for working capital and funds to pay back Sports Direct's £5m loan.

Given the ongoing investment that will be required to restore Rangers to a solid, stable, self-sustaining business, King's estimate of £30m from himself and others may well turn out to be fairly accurate.

Rangers currently run the second-highest wage bill in Scotland but are arguably not extracting full value from it as a legacy of contracts offered to players by previous regimes, making the club wary of paying out too much in wages.

Eleven players joined in the summer, with four of those deals involving transfer fees and three of them being loan arrangements with English Premier League clubs.

Frank McParland joined the club as head of recruitment in October and, in the current window, Harry Forrester and Maciej Gostomski have joined on short-term deals, while Josh Windass and Matt Crooks signed pre-contract agreements to join in the summer.

But the failure to sign Diagouraga and O'Halloran will frustrate manager Mark Warburton.

Warburton (left) joined Rangers from Brentford last summer

The valuations of the sellers and the prospective buyer were not significantly different but, like many deals, there are further details, including add-ons, that potentially raise the price and payment terms to be factored in.

It weakened Rangers' hand that both signing targets entered the public domain almost as soon as talks began and were clearly the manager's priorities, so handing the selling clubs the edge.

The football industry may be a hive of gossip but it is possible to keep transfer moves private long enough to prevent negotiations being influenced.

It is also common practice for a shortlist of options and alternative targets to be drawn up, since no club has a 100% success rate in its transfer dealings.

Lessons to be learned

King spoke about securing players for the Premiership and investing in the squad, so missing out on transfer targets cause those remarks to be revisited.

Since Diarougaga went elsewhere and O'Halloran remains at St Johnstone, the whole recruitment process has not worked as smoothly and effectively as Rangers would have liked.

Those players signed on permanent deals last year have all contributed to the team establishing itself at the top of the Scottish Championship, in which they finished third last season. Progress is evident.

That work won't necessarily be undone in this window, but lessons need to be learned from it if Rangers are to deliver "at least another five players at an equal or higher standard before we go into the Premier League" as King pledged in September.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Times are such that losing out to a player who goes to Leeds is not a shock. Regarding buying players from other Scottish clubs, I would just steer clear, they seem to only do business in the press, pretending to be enraged while trying to Jack the price up. Where we do our business in England, it is relatively private and quick, only the Scottish ones are sagas, and I would rather not give them the money.

Although it is a different level of player, it has always been the same as far as I can remember.

If we get ohalloran we have missed out on one guy that has been actively linked to us. Does that need a re-assessment? or is that just football? 

Additionally, the two guys we got from Accrington that Arsenal were supposedly interested in - does that need re-assessed? or the way we got Waghorn or Tav or Ball or Wilson or The Fod or Halliday or Holt - does that need a complete re-assessment? does it fuck.

Journalists are all utterly useless cunts that cant see past the next article

Until a player or players are presented to the fans and press alike I'm not really interested.  MW has repeatedly said that he will not speak about players that are not ours,  nor will he be drawn on matters outwith the football department.  I have no doubt that behind the scenes things are happening. 

@cushynumber 

Spot on mate. Diagouraga went to Leeds instead so now everyone wants us to rip up the playbook and start again after 6 months. Ludicrous.

Tbf to Wilson he is normally not bad, and in general it's not that bad a piece but the undertones building in the media this week have been clear and this article uses those.

typical fucking journalism in this country, every cunt is trying their hardest to get Warburton out of Rangers. We have missed out on 1 player because we did not feel they were worth the money, not even because we couldn't afford, and it was probably Warburton that set the value in the first place fuck sake

1 minute ago, AlBear85 said:

@cushynumber 

Spot on mate. Diagouraga went to Leeds instead so now everyone wants us to rip up the playbook and start again after 6 months. Ludicrous.

Tbf to Wilson he is normally not bad, and in general it's not that bad a piece but the undertones building in the media this week have been clear and this article uses those.

Anything we do that is not an immediate and obvious success is portrayed in the media as an abject failure - even things outwith our control - and the transfer market is probably the most out of control thing there is in football. Its shocking.

Journos want MW to re-assess our recruitment because they dont have a fucking clue whats going on and dont like it one bit.

Aye cause no other club in the history of the sport has ever missed out on a transfer target!

Im happy that we aren't splashing out silly money and bending over to lesser clubs' requests.  As MW said its about adding value and if the deal isn't right we move onto the next.  

Not saying missing out on Diagouraga isn't a disappointment.  But if im being really honest I dont know too much about the lad so I cant really in all honestly say that it is!!

We dont at the moment have the cash to match clubs like Leeds or anyone down south for that matter and that's not a secret.

What I am certain of though is that MW must be aware of a plethora of talent from his work down south, which is ripe for the picking.  Just look at the summer signings and hopefully the two lads coming in in the summer will be of a similar ilk. 

That's why I for one am not bothered by this in the slightest.  The gaffer knows what he is doing and until I am proved wrong I will stick by his signing policy and not go into panic mode after losing out on one so far!

3 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

Anything we do that is not an immediate and obvious success is portrayed in the media as an abject failure - even things outwith our control - and the transfer market is probably the most out of control thing there is in football. Its shocking.

Journos want MW to re-assess our recruitment because they dont have a fucking clue whats going on and dont like it one bit.

Especially in January, yet this window is being built up as win or bust for us.

What a load of shite that article is, really don't think there is any club in the world that 100% get the players that they are linked to and might be interested in unless they are stupid enough to spend silly money on them.

I really hate the January transfer window and can't wait till it's closed.

Just now, Jimbeamjunior said:

we could challenge the BBC on this.................................

By 'challenge' I assume you mean sending Linfield over to hampden to set about cunts with his claw hammer?

Superb idea (tu)

1 hour ago, AlBear85 said:

Clubs miss out on their targets all the time. We miss one and it's panic stations? Fuck off with this shite.

This. we could sign O'Halloran today if we wanted - but we would have to pay what they want. We are putting a really good marker down for future deals.

1 minute ago, Dickie1963 said:

This. we could sign O'Halloran today if we wanted - but we would have to pay what they want. We are putting a really good marker down for future deals.

Exactly. If we cave now every other club will know we just talk bullshit. If we stick to our guns, then the next time they know its the real deal.I would be happy to see ohalloran not come in simply to make this point.

Its Ohalloran - not Messi. He is not now and never will be, the be all and end all of our recruitment system -  despite Wilson bleating like a sheep because he has nothing concrete to write about.