Who was the player you idolized?

GTMLivo

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sandy Jardine and it started mainly because I remember being very proud to see a Bear play so well for Scotland in what was the first WC Finals (74) I'd ever watched.......but at the same time I liked Derek Parlane (scored 4 goals in the first game I ever attended).

But when Davie Cooper came along, he was THE man. 

2 minutes ago, buster. said:

Sandy Jardine and it started mainly because I remember being very proud to see a Bear play so well for Scotland in what was the first WC Finals (74) I'd ever watched.......but at the same time I liked Derek Parlane (scored 4 goals in the first game I ever attended).

But when Davie Cooper came along, he was THE man. 

Some squad that we sent to Deutschland 74. Jardine, McGrain, Bremner, McQueen, Lorimer, Cormack, Dalglish, Law, Jimmy Johnstone, Jordan.

Before I was born but I know enough to understand that wee Bremner was a couple of inches away from earning us a victory against Brazil and we went home the only undefeated team in the tournament. Taking it easy against Zaire cost us as well.

Big Jim Stewart was in that squad too. Not sure if he got a game over there.

team_scotland.jpg

Incidentally, Souness and Dalglish were probably my first footballing heroes as I was a Scotland fan before I was a Rangers fan. I started to follow Rangers when Souness took over, so was undoubtedly spoiled for the first trophy-laden decade.

big d.j & parlane were my first hero's , as i got to see them at ibrox 1972, not bad for a wee 10yo boy from new zealand.

grew to mccoist,laudrap,gazza, albertz , souness, mols

took the family back in 2011 & jelavic was awesome.

just love rangers really- tough gig following them from n.z tho

WATP

15 minutes ago, WadeWilson said:

Some squad that we sent to Deutschland 74. Jardine, McGrain, Bremner, McQueen, Lorimer, Cormack, Dalglish, Law, Jimmy Johnstone, Jordan.

Before I was born but I know enough to understand that wee Bremner was a couple of inches away from earning us a victory against Brazil and we went home the only undefeated team in the tournament. Taking it easy against Zaire cost us as well.

Big Jim Stewart was in that squad too. Not sure if he got a game over there.

team_scotland.jpg

Incidentally, Souness and Dalglish were probably my first footballing heroes as I was a Scotland fan before I was a Rangers fan. I started to follow Rangers when Souness took over, so was undoubtedly spoiled for the first trophy-laden decade.

The 74 WC Finals were especially notable for me because my Dad used it as a reason to splash out on a Colour TV for the first time. Sandy Jardine had an excellent WC but Scotland are Scotland and will always find a way not to go further.

Jardine used to take the Rangers penalties at a time when many full-backs did. Not long after he stopped another full back at Ibrox Alex Miller started and the Liverpool right-back Phil Neal was their penalty taker during a successful period.

But thinking about it, forensically examining every touch Jardine got at the WC (74) probably brought home even to a wee laddie, how good he was on the ball, his composure and that he rarely made mistakes.

Always idolised Ally growing up. 

Latterly Laudrup. Already used to watching a strong side, he was a total step change in quality for me in terms of fitness and ability. He was miles better than anyone else in the league and was a total privilege to see a player like that in our shirt.