Champions League Run 1992-93

BigBearAl

This was no doubt posted back when initially published, but a cracking wee read about a memorable season.

http://talksport.com/magazine/features/130424/robbed-why-rangers-could-have-been-first-champions-league-winners-195971

It's a sad day as a bear when you are unhappy with a domestic treble and gubbing Leeds home and away, but I've no doubt that corruption robbed us that season of a trip to Munich to take on the mighty Milan. It still gets me angry to this day and I always wonder if we were too dignified for our own good when the Marseille revelations emerged.

Would we have beat Milan? I'd have loved to have found out. Our team were more than a match in my opinion and would have at least ran that great Milan team close.

What are your memories of that Cup run?

The whole run was awesome! McSwegan's last minute equaliser against Marseille was brilliant, one of my best night's at Ibrox! Scott Nisbet's amazing goal v Brugge was crazy! Durrants goal in the Velodrome was superb. Both games v Leeds were just on another scale, the press surronding the game was incredible and we were given no chance against the English champions!

Just the whole thing in general was outstanding, from the qualifying round v Lyngby right to the end we were brilliant. Slightly unfortunate v CSKA at Ibrox but never the less a quite incredible season in the Champions League.

3 minutes ago, Cobham said:

The whole run was awesome! McSwegan's last minute equaliser against Marseille was brilliant, one of my best night's at Ibrox! Scott Nisbet's amazing goal v Brugge was crazy! Durrants goal in the Velodrome was superb. Both games v Leeds were just on another scale, the press surronding the game was incredible and we were given no chance against the English champions!

Just the whole thing in general was outstanding, from the qualifying round v Lyngby right to the end we were brilliant. Slightly unfortunate v CSKA at Ibrox but never the less a quite incredible season in the Champions League.

A bit pedantic but Gary McSwegan's 'Scholes like' outside of the boot unconventional pass at the edge of the area led to the equaliser.

His goal was magnificent with a genuinely world class pass from Durrant in the build-up.

2 minutes ago, buster. said:

A bit pedantic but Gary McSwegan's 'Scholes like' outside of the boot unconventional pass at the edge of the area led to the equaliser.

His goal was magnificent with a genuinely world class pass from Durrant in the build-up.

Haha, don't worry, I'm Mr Pedantic, so you can imagine my self disgust at getting that one wrong! Either way the celebrations for both McSwegan and Hateley's goals were fucking brilliant!

Durrant's pass to Mikhailitchanko was brilliant!

24 minutes ago, BigBearAl said:

This was no doubt posted back when initially published, but a cracking wee read about a memorable season.

http://talksport.com/magazine/features/130424/robbed-why-rangers-could-have-been-first-champions-league-winners-195971

It's a sad day as a bear when you are unhappy with a domestic treble and gubbing Leeds home and away, but I've no doubt that corruption robbed us that season of a trip to Munich to take on the mighty Milan. It still gets me angry to this day and I always wonder if we were too dignified for our own good when the Marseille revelations emerged.

Would we have beat Milan? I'd have loved to have found out. Our team were more than a match in my opinion and would have at least ran that great Milan team close.

What are your memories of that Cup run?

Obviously the two wins against Leeds, particularly at their place. Two fantastic goals as well.  Then there was Nisbet's goal vs Bruge.  Never forget that.  Being 2-0 down to Marseille, with them looking far superior, only for us to come back from the dead and then miss a very good chance to actually win the game.  Durrant's goal in France. So many memories of a great effort that season.

The Timification continues though...there is no rational reason to believe we were eliminated through corruption.  In the end we failed to win at home to the Russians and lost out on points in any case.

11 minutes ago, Briton said:

Obviously the two wins against Leeds, particularly at their place. Two fantastic goals as well.  Then there was Nisbet's goal vs Bruge.  Never forget that.  Being 2-0 down to Marseille, with them looking far superior, only for us to come back from the dead and then miss a very good chance to actually win the game.  Durrant's goal in France. So many memories of a great effort that season.

The Timification continues though...there is no rational reason to believe we were eliminated through corruption.  In the end we failed to win at home to the Russians and lost out on points in any case.

Us drawing 0-0 with CSKA at home and Marseille beating them 6-0 stinks though. We only lost out by a point so it is possible the corruption made a difference.

27 minutes ago, AlBear85 said:

Cobham

For me our real chance was in France, allbeit a very difficult ask.

When Durrant equalised I had a feeling in the back of my mind that if we wanted to go through we had to get a winner that night.

You just knew that Marseille would beat Bruges in the last game.

We would have won it that season if it wasn't for those French corrupt Bastards, it was a memorable season in Europe, beating the English champs home and away was massive as everyone had us written off before a ball was kicked, coming back from 2-0 down at home against that French mob Pressleys fucked up back pass to Goram got stuck in the mud and cost us a goal still rage about that 20 odd years later :D

1 minute ago, buster. said:

Cobham

For me our real chance was in France, allbeit a very difficult ask.

When Durrant equalised I had a feeling in the back of my mind that if we wanted to go through we had to get a winner that night.

You just knew that Marseille would beat Bruges in the last game.

That is true, I think at the time even if we levelled on points it went to goal difference which we were worse off. Still one of the best seasons I can remember as a Rangers fan!

The team we had at that time had no real super stars, no Laudrup/Gascoigne etc but everyone burt a gut for each other and were very good players on top of it. Guys like Brown, Nisbet, Ferguson gave their all for the team. Even guys like Huistra and Mikhailitchenko were tracking back and tackling! Unbelievable!

1 minute ago, Cobham said:

Us drawing 0-0 with CSKA at home and Marseille beating them 6-0 in Russia stinks though. We only lost out by a point so it is possible the corruption made a difference.

No it's not...wouldn't have mattered if they won that game 12-0 as we lost on points, not goal difference. BTW...the 6-0 win was in France. They drew the 'away'* tie 1-1. (*Like the Rangers game against CSKA, it was played in Germany.)

You do know that the incident that they were done for took place after Rangers went out?  

The tournament was won for the first time by Marseille, defeating Milan in the final. However, soon after Marseille's victory allegations of match fixing were levelled at them and their president Bernard Tapie. This involved a league game where Marseille, it emerged, had fixed their title-clinching Division 1 game against Valenciennes so they could concentrate on the Milan tie.

1 minute ago, Briton said:

No it's not...wouldn't have mattered if they won that game 12-0 as we lost on points, not goal difference. BTW...the 6-0 win was in France. They drew the 'away'* tie 1-1. (*Like the Rangers game against CSKA, it was played in Germany.)

You do know that the incident that they were done for took place after Rangers went out?  

The tournament was won for the first time by Marseille, defeating Milan in the final. However, soon after Marseille's victory allegations of match fixing were levelled at them and their president Bernard Tapie. This involved a league game where Marseille, it emerged, had fixed their title-clinching Division 1 game against Valenciennes so they could concentrate on the Milan tie.

Yeah, I did correct myself on the tie being in France not Russia.

It would have made a difference had Marseille not won the game though.

Anyway agree to disagree and all that, it was 23 years ago!!

Just now, Cobham said:

That is true, I think at the time even if we levelled on points it went to goal difference which we were worse off. Still one of the best seasons I can remember as a Rangers fan!

The team we had at that time had no real super stars, no Laudrup/Gascoigne etc but everyone burt a gut for each other and were very good players on top of it. Guys like Brown, Nisbet, Ferguson gave their all for the team. Even guys like Huistra and Mikhailitchenko were tracking back and tackling! Unbelievable!

Agreed....Mikhailitchenko made a great tackle to win the ball back in the build-up for the Ibrox equaliser against Marseille.

I thought we should have beaten Bruges over there and we were slightly fortunaate to beat them at Ibrox.

The Hately sending-off that kept him out of the game in France was ludicrous, christ knows what he was playing at.

8 minutes ago, Briton said:

The incident that Tapie was convicted for was the Valenciennes game as it was the only one they had solid proof for. A further judicial investigation a couple of years after he went to jail reported that Tapie was reasonably suspected of fixing 4 or 5 games per season during the time he owned the club. The manager of CSKA also made a complaint to UEFA during the 92-93 competition that Marseille had tried to bribe his players but he was persuaded to withdraw the allegation.

I'm inclined to believe that there was further dirty dealings but we will likely never know and, to be honest, while we had a great run and played some great games, I think both Marseille and AC were better sides than us.

1 minute ago, TheMotor said:

The incident that Tapie was convicted for was the Valenciennes game as it was the only one they had solid proof for. A further judicial investigation a couple of years after he went to jail reported that Tapie was reasonably suspected of fixing 4 or 5 games per season during the time he owned the club. The manager of CSKA also made a complaint to UEFA during the 92-93 competition that Marseille had tried to bribe his players but he was persuaded to withdraw the allegation.

I'm inclined to believe that there was further dirty dealings but we will likely never know and, to be honest, while we had a great run and played some great games, I think both Marseille and AC were better sides than us.

Marseille had a better side but couldn't beat us.

Milan had a better side than Marseille but lost.

#FunnyOldGame

33 minutes ago, Cobham said:

Yeah, I did correct myself on the tie being in France not Russia.

It would have made a difference had Marseille not won the game though.

Anyway agree to disagree and all that, it was 23 years ago!!

Of course it would but you could equally say that about their two wins over Brugge. There's no real reason to suspect they won that game through corruption. You could argue they should have been stripped of the title though, as their cheating was designed to give them an advantage in the final.

A lot of people overlook the away game in Bruges, the 1st half we were rotten but came out in the 2nd half a different team, we battered them and eventually scored through huistra.

I was happy but also gutted with a point that night, to remain unbeaten was a positive but ultimately we should of collected the 2pts, a win that night very much would of left our fate in our own hands.

What also shouldn't be overlooked is that we went 45 or 46 games unbeaten in all competitions that season, the class of the 92/93 season deservedly have their own special place in our clubs history.

Leeds tends to be remembered more, but for me the Marseilles games were the bigger ones. 

Some team Marseilles had back then. Brugge were a good outfit then too, for that matter. The celebrations after the 2-2 equaliser were something else.

We really weren't far off. Great, great times.

The whole of that run, from defeat at dens park to the loss to they cunts at the piggery was amazing. Sure we carried some luck at times, Fergie's goal v cska , and big nissy's swerving effort spring to mind but that squad had an unbelievable will to win. We always looked as though no matter how many we conceded , we would fight back. Will never forget the bears reaction to the run coming to an end , the Rangers end was still partying long after the scum had fucked off to their hovels. Hopefully the current squad will be held in the same regard some time in the future.

Too many memories to pick, I just remember feeling our name was the trophy all the way on run only for those cheating French bastards to ruin it. 

Jim White does Spring to mind when I think about 92/93 the look of joy everytime we won when he was presenting scotsport I think it was, with that prick McNee. 

was too young to remember any of the games, but one of my earliest memories is from the night of the Leeds second leg, my Dad (who is not the most active man on this planet) jumped right out of his seat fucking knees to chest in the air screaming the house down when McCoists winner went in, scared the shit out of me :lol: