Angela Haggerty sacked from Herald

Lidl

11 hours ago, OlegKuznetsov said:

Yep. He really seems to have gone off the deep end. I just wish he delivered that rant in video format for the comedy value, given his ludicrous appearance.

He really is a bitter, bitter, bigot.

The scum signing this homophobic, journalist-threatening cretin really undermines his, and his colleagues', position.

They've had the full set of bigots in their first team in recent times:sectarian bigots, racists, xenophobes, terrorist-glorifiers anti-Semites and now a homophobe. 

Aye, they're so inclusive. They'll sign any kind of bigot.

Spot on

This is the Hags tweet.

"solidarity with @GrahamSpiers, again being targeted by the mob for telling some harsh truths…

“Welcome to Scotland: write about glaring bigotry at Ibrox and the extremist ‘fans’ will hound you, intimidate you, harass you. In 2016.”

It amazes me that she can make the jump from Rangers board members asking exactly who from the board commented to Spiers that he "actually liked the song" (TBB) to being targeted by the mob.

By not naming the said board member he deflames them all, as in the public's eye it could have been any one of them.

...and out from under her rock she crawls:

Axed columnist hits out at 'corporate influence' in newspapers

An axed columnist says her 'sacking' by a Sunday newspaper after showing solidarity with a colleague 'exposes the influence of corporate interests in our media.'

As previously reported by HTFP, Angela Haggerty, left, was told her column in Glasgow'sSunday Herald had been terminated after having voiced support for sportswriter Graham Spiers.

The Sunday Herald's sister daily The Herald apologised to Rangers FC last week after Graham questioned whether the football club was doing enough to tackle offensive chanting among its supporters and claiming an un-named club director had praised a sectarian chant.

The Herald maintained it had 'no option' but to apologise to the club, saying Graham's assertions could not have been defended in court.

Angela then waded into the row on social media, offering 'solidarity' with Graham on Twitter, and was later informed by Herald & Times Group editor-in-chief Magnus Llewellin that her column had been terminated.

Now she has written about her departure from the Newsquest-owned group in a strongly-worded piece for online magazine Bella Caledonia.

She wrote: 'I'm saddened that what could have been a great relationship with the Herald has ended this way.'

'In terms of the Rangers situation, I hope this incident will be an eye-opener for those unaware of the influence of Glasgow football clubs and those connected to them on the media in Scotland. This is a serious problem, and it should be examined further.'

She added: 'When I see a colleague of my trade being subjected to the same abuse I've experienced '" and I know how much pressure that can bring on a person '" I won't hesitate in showing support and condemning those online taking part in it.

'The decision to sack me must have been rapid. I was given no opportunity to state my case. When I finally spoke to Magnus Llewellin, it was simply to inform me of the reasons behind the decision, it wasn't really a discussion.

'He informed me that 'representatives of Rangers Football Club' had brought my tweets to the attention of the Herald, and that, to cut a long story short, the paper was under so much legal pressure that he felt he had no option but to let me go.

'He also informed me that Neil MacKay, editor of the Sunday Herald, had fought strongly to stop it happening, but in the end he was overruled.

'You have to ask who the winner out of this is. In this episode, it's Rangers Football Club, but on a wider level it exposes the influence of corporate interests in our media. In the current financial landscape, that influence is ever more prominent.'

'The bigger picture here is far more important. The Herald threw two journalists under the bus whichever way you look at it, and that decision will have consequences both in terms of reader trust and what vested interests now think they may be able to get away with.'

Magnus had declined to respond to Angela's piece or comment further on the case.

Previously he told HTFP:  'The issue we had was whether we could defend the contentious statement in court and the advice given was that we could not. That left us with no other option other than to apologise.'

http://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/2016/news/axed-columnist-says-sacking-exposes-corporate-influence-in-newspapers/

Still refusing to take the blame for her own demise.

Fuck her, the rancid, bovine faced boot!!

I love how being demonised and pilloried at every turn by the press for the last 5 years (minimum) equates to The power of Rangers. Fuck me I would hate to see the the reaction of these people if we had been getting nothing but praise from what they believe is a compliant media. 

Was she actually employed on a permanent contract with the Herald, or was she just a freelance blogger masquerading as a paid columnist?

In other words, is the claim that she was "sacked" just another distortion of the facts, another convenient lie to peddle their agenda?

Once someone has been exposed as an outrageously mendacious character, you have to question their subsequent claims in trying to justify the original lie.

2 minutes ago, quinty said:

She's just a reflection of the mindset of the great unwashed as a whole.  Their attitude is simply that they want everything that offends them banned but want to be able to sing/say whatever they want with impunity.  The irony of her getting the boot (that's not the irony btw) for attempting to defend a colleagues right to free speech whilst spending every waking moment trying to deny that to others is quite frankly farcical.  I heard an argument from one of them the other night that TBB should be banned whether or not it contained the lines up to our knees in bleep blood because it reminded them of the original lyrics - pointing out that the original lyrics were, in fact, about marching through Georgia almost caused a system crash in the dolt in question.  The old adage is that you reap what you sow so hell fucking mend her.     

Excellent retelling of your tale, mate. (tu) 

Interesting and totally correct perspective on this whole case from the editor of the National (I know).

The piece at the heart of this controversy contained both opinion and "fact". If a "fact" is disputed and is regarded as potentially defamatory it is the newspaper’s legal responsibility to prove it to be true. The party which claims to have been defamed – which may be a small group of individuals – has no legal responsibility to prove the statement is not true. The onus is entirely on the newspaper.

57 minutes ago, Falcoholic said:

When you look back at some of the utter garbage she was penning prior to her "employment" by the Herald Group it should be concerning, and suprising, that she was even considered for a job in MSM at all

She proudly boasts of her HNC / HND in practical journalism :rolleyes: 

Her course must have been structured around how to build a blog and tweet.

2 hours ago, Virtuoso said:

...and out from under her rock she crawls:

http://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/2016/news/axed-columnist-says-sacking-exposes-corporate-influence-in-newspapers/

Still refusing to take the blame for her own demise.

Fuck her, the rancid, bovine faced boot!!

And the thing is, it had nothing to do with "corporate interests". Magnus Llewellyn has stated that there was no threat to advertising revenues and that in any case, that would not have had any impact on his decision making. I believe he said "we will report without fear or favour". So this article by Haggerty is based on a false premise for starters but no-one at the NUJ is going to pull her up about it. Given that her employment status was uncertain, we don't even know if she can really say she was sacked. Rather than admit her motives for supporting Spiers were potentially suspect given her "background", this smokescreen is created so that at a later date, she can return to the Herald. Watch this space.

We really need to start keeping a closer eye on these people, even if it means reading websites such as The Drum, Bella Caledonian (some good below the article comments there) and Wings Over Scotland (have you seen the latest rant from the Reverend about Rangers being a new club?).

In fact the good Reverend feels so strongly about the treatment of Spiers, he's reproduced in full the article pulled from the Herald website and openly challenges Rangers to sue him. Could someone with better links to the club than me maybe send this on to them?

2 hours ago, OlegKuznetsov said:

They are absolutely and literally delusional. 

Apparently, getting kicked out of the top tier and going to the bottom was an SFA/SFL favour. 

I would say that you couldn't make it up, but they're proving that you can make it up and have absolutely no basis in reality for your claims.

More than a decade later, it's still only TBB they're targeting, other than a brief spell when a 4-2 home defeat made them suddenly realise that TFIO was an equal mortal sin. In that decade, scrutiny into the glorification in song of racist, sectarian, terrorist murders, occasionally chanted in English cities where those murders actually took place, was scant, but lasted just long enough to point our that these were actually maybe political anthems or perhaps just banter. Any offence was irrelevant where this free speech was concerned.

Yet we're meant to be getting favours? Really?

Sometimes I think that psychologists and psychiatrists are missing a gold mine in the form of a potential study into mass insanity and the role of social media in the promulgation of the mass delusion.  

Unfortunately Oleg, working in one of these professions, I see the people who want help, have to first admit they have an issue or problem.

These people are beyond help at the moment and are taking up the classic paranoid-schizoid position that it's everybody else who has a problem.