Permanently empty seats

Went to the ticket office last week as I was looking for a ticket for the St Mirren game end of Feb for a mate. Tickets not yet on sale - but that's a different matter.

Seat next to me has not been occupied once in three years. Was asking the ticket office chappie about it. He confirms that it is sold, but has not been used for "quite a while". He went on to tell me that there are over 20 season ticket holders with addresses in USA and Canada. Also told me about another case where a woman's dad had died several years ago. She didn't want anyone else sitting in his seat, so has paid for the season ticket every year since and it has never been used.

Debate on another thread about crowd numbers yesterday. There are two important figures;

a) Official attendance - includes all tickets sold for that match - whether the seat is used or not. This is the figure used for taxable purposes and is used by all major clubs including us and the other mhob. Yesterday was 46,980. If half of those with a ticket never showed up - it would still have been 46,980

b) Actual attendance - there is a counter on the wall of the stadium control room which shows actual match attendance (turnstile generated). This number is used to confirm that fire safety limits etc are not exceeded and emergency services resources deployed around the Ibrox area are appropriate to the number of people gathered. Am not sure how this calculates corporate bums on seats/Bar 72 etc as many of these involve merely showing your ticket at the door?

10 minutes ago, aussieranger said:

I'm one of the guilty parties!

Season ticket holder from Oz, family and friends in Scotland use now and then, in fact haven't sat in the seat in 2 years.

For me it's my way of putting money in the club and others can see the gers.

AR

I think there used to be a way to donate you're seat on a game to game basis to Erskine, ran by Govanblue on here.

21 minutes ago, Smile said:

I think there used to be a way to donate you're seat on a game to game basis to Erskine, ran by Govanblue on here.

Its still running, I couldn't make it yesterday and GB had my ticket details to use. Tickets go not just to Erskine but to Combat Stress and other worthy recipients.

13 minutes ago, RFC Eagle said:

Its still running, I couldn't make it yesterday and GB had my ticket details to use. Tickets go not just to Erskine but to Combat Stress and other worthy recipients.

He has mine as well, I wont get to many but if GB is involved it will be well used by the right people.

I am going to be totally honest... those who buy ST's but do not go make me proud.  Paying all that money for the knowledge that you are helping you club, you are supporting the club and you can go to a majority of the games at Ibrox at any time.  That is loyalty.

i have a season ticket but can't always make games. i think i've been to 3-4 so far this season. fuck, there is someone who sits beside me who only turns up for the first and last games of the season.

personally i don't think there is anything wrong with it because i've put my £400 into the club. it's not like they are losing money. if anything they make money if you know you aren't gonna be there and let them sell your seat for a particular game. they get your season ticket money and somebody match day ticket money.

i'm thinking of buying a seat in the club deck purely just because that's where me and my dad would always sit when we went to games. it would be nice to know that i have a permanent seat up there and at the same time i can still keep my seat in Sandy Jardine stand. 

again, the club isn't losing any money from this. more people just need to let their seats be sold if they aren't gonna turn up.

My Supporters Club (Vancouver) has 2 season tickets in the Copland front. They are for use of any of our club members back in Scotland or any NARSA club member as well if we are not using them. Our way of supporting the club from afar

28 minutes ago, kanjo said:

I am going to be totally honest... those who buy ST's but do not go make me proud.  Paying all that money for the knowledge that you are helping you club, you are supporting the club and you can go to a majority of the games at Ibrox at any time.  That is loyalty.

You say that, and from a financial sense i'm sure the club are happy as long as people are still paying their money, but I'd much rather see folk in the stadium roaring on the team.

Just now, Virtuoso said:

Maybe I'm imagining it, but wasn't there previously a scheme where if you had a ST and couldn't make it - if you informed the club they advertised your seat for sale and if it sold then you were given £10 off towards your next ST :unsure:

Yes, think they still do it. It's not £10 though it's different price depending on who we're playing.

10 hours ago, BEE said:

Yes, think they still do it. It's not £10 though it's different price depending on who we're playing.

I think they will only re-sell tickets once all the public sale tickets are gone.

Govanblue's scheme is the way to go if you are unable to attend matches. Your seat is used by enthusiastic, grateful guys who deserve a day out watching their team.

22 hours ago, RFC Eagle said:

Same here GB had our 2 tickets on Saturday.

Never Forgive Never Forget