Strong enough to win the league?

NeoGeo7

So with our business now done this window, assuming we believe our manager, do we think the squad is strong enough to win the league?

For me the key thing is that we don't lose any of the back line to injury or suspension, especially the full backs. I think that had we signed a DM we would have been set but as things stand we have strengthened our front line (not necessarily signing a striker but I include the wingers in the front line).

i think what is key now is to get better in the final third to get through the teams that park the bus and counter. Having more competition for places can only be good in that area and most of them can play in multiple,positions allowing Warburton to stick with the same formation but tweak where required. There is a lot of pace out wide but that only helps when we counter the other side, so won't happen a great deal.

one thing is for sure we need to get back to our scoring ways and out scoring the opposition since I think we are still frail at the back (though credit where it's due for 2 clean sheets in the last 2 games).

Bottom line, I think the squad is good enough to get up but I'd expect a bit of an upgrade policy in the summer with the likes of Clark, bell, shields, law and templeton all being moved on.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were strong enough before January to win it, IMO. We are currently 8 clear, albeit hibs have a game in hand, and strengthened our squad. I can only see that gap widening come the end of the season.

We shouldn't lose focus but it's hard not to have one eye on next season already.

I'm sure we'll win it. hivs still have their big 'collapse' to come yet and we've made some nice little signings.

I have to say I'm more excited about Billy King scoring for us than O'Hallaran but I'd take either one scoring to help us back to the top. O'Hallaran will be well bedded in by the start of training next year, and I'm fairly sure some others for the task of competing in the Premiership.

I think we have more than enough.

Lots of forwards though - Miller, Wags, McKay, Ohalloran, Forrester, King. I wonder how MW is going to keep them all happy. However, we finally have good cover if something happens to Waghorn - recently I was shitting myself when he got tackled. I can see Forrester and Miller maybe playing a less prominent role in the run in.

But I really am starting to wonder what out starting line up and formation is going to be.

4 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

I think we have more than enough.

Lots of forwards though - Miller, Wags, McKay, Ohalloran, Forrester, King. I wonder how MW is going to keep them all happy. However, we finally have good cover if something happens to Waghorn - recently I was shitting myself when he got tackled. I can see Forrester and Miller maybe playing a less prominent role in the run in.

But I really am starting to wonder what out starting line up and formation is going to be.

Isn't good though to have a good headache though?

i can see McKay get involved in the middle a bit more which would allow King, o'halloran, forrester, Miller and Waggy to fight out the two wide positions and the forward.

6 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

Isn't good though to have a good headache though?

i can see McKay get involved in the middle a bit more which would allow King, o'halloran, forrester, Miller and Waggy to fight out the two wide positions and the forward.

I can actually  see Ohalloran starting as a no.10. I dont think McKay will go into the middle - i think Ohalloran will do that

1 minute ago, cushynumber said:

I can actually  see Ohalloran starting as a no.10. I dont think McKay will go into the middle - i think Ohalloran will do that

Just going on the basis McKay played there at the youth level (or up front) and o'halloran in his interview was talking about being a winger....

“As a winger that is what you try and do, provide the strikers with goals but obviously I’d like to chip in too.”

to be honest Warburton can do whatever he pleases in that area now.

1 minute ago, NeoGeo7 said:

Just going on the basis McKay played there at the youth level (or up front) and o'halloran in his interview was talking about being a winger....

“As a winger that is what you try and do, provide the strikers with goals but obviously I’d like to chip in too.”

to be honest Warburton can do whatever he pleases in that area now.

yes fair enough. I was looking at the clips of MOH's goals - Theres a lot he drops off and picks the ball up a little deeper. As I say - it will be interesting to see whats happening.

6 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

Probably right he offers more physically than Barry.  It's a nice dilemma or the manager to have.

We were strong enough to win the league without additional signings, though decent signings also help, really wish people wouldn't make judgements following one game, end of the day we won it against a team who were lucky to have all 11 players on the park at the end of the match.

Agreed heard Warburton say he thought Ohalorran was a threat both central and wide

We don't just have good players with good individual attributes, but all of our key players play to the Mark Warburton method of positional variation etc; particularly the attackers. We have a great blend in the team, and there are clear signs that all the players are adapting to our style the more matches we play. This past month has been a turning point in the level we need to be successful. There is criticism about how we played in the last two matches, but overall the players stuck at it and got their rewards. 

5 minutes ago, Poetry_In_Blue said:

really wish people wouldn't make judgements following one game,

Always the way. We play awesome for 10 games and not a peep, then have a couple tough games and it's all "we're miles away" etc.

Some on here have more in common with Scottish 'journalists' than they'd like to admit.

1 minute ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Don't think it'll happen, would then need to change the formation through the academy as well etc.

its a good headache to have,maybe see McKay play the more advanced of the midfield 3 role be interesting to see how the gaffer accommodates them all good to have so many attacking options now,shame we couldn't move on Clark(preferably to China) as I really don't see much game time for him now best for all parties if he moves on