Strong enough to win the league?

NeoGeo7

We were strong enough before with slight weaknesses that should have been sorted in the window but weren't so we move onwards and literally upwards in our division come May.

Where I am delighted though is the attacking options we now have (and it wasn't exactly like we were struggling for goals before)

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had enough to win before this window.
On the face of it, even though they've signed 4 or 5 players and punted 1, are HIV's really that much stronger than they were? After all they are the only real threat. I don't think they are. The terrorist supporter will bust a gut to fuck us over through sheer hatred and I'd expect him to pick up some goals but it's not like they've signed Messi.
On to us, up to the signing of O'Halloran I don't think our signings have been better than what we had in the first team already but have been decent signings to give us better cover off the bench. I'm not convinced Forrester will be good enough to stay beyond this season but he's well worth a punt and is effectively a sub replacement for Templeton, with possibly McLeod being a longer term thought for that. King is probably a sub replacement for Clarke, who I'd expect to get even less game time now, or Oduwa. O'Halloran is really the only player we've signed who I think will be a regular starter so our front three will come from McKay, Miller, Waghorn and O'Halloran as first picks with one getting dropped according to form, injury or whoever Warburton thinks will do the best job against whoever we're playing, the rest of the team will stay the same if everyone is available. In my opinion between Forrester and King we probably don't need one of them so I'm guessing King's here in case O'Halloran didn't make it.
I don't think we're greatly improved either but we have better cover so we are stronger, in terms of difference between us and HIV's there's little change but if anything I think we have done a little better than them.
Real shame we couldn't pick up a good defensive midfielder as I think that would have completely killed off any threat there was and given us a better chance in the cup but considering most of the games we play will be against packed defences the extra depth we've got up front now should comfortably see us over the line in the league.

like most people are saying i think we were good enough at the start of the season. with that bunch of clowns we had last season we somehow managed to come a baw hair close to promotion. we're in a much better position now and i firmly believe we will be back in the premiership no matter what next season. with the recent signings we have become stronger so i think we'll start to see the gap increase and we'll have the league wrapped up in no time. 

9 hours ago, theclothmonster said:

The prem teams will have the exact same tactics against us. The difference is the top 6 will put away the chances that the teams in this league have been squandering. 

I don't know how you would back up that claim. Even Falkirk have a better conversion rate of goals per attempt than any Premiership club except Hertz.

Right now, with luck on ourside we'd definitively could win it or at the very least trouble celtic. 

We've got our forwards sorted, I'd like to see some Midfielders. At least 2, one a dedicated Defensive mid and another that's good to be a stand in for Holt. 

Defensive wise, I'd like too see one more new face, so that we've got 4 to pick from or at least back up for the squad.

I know we are a good side that would win most games in the premier league right now, but could potentially struggle in some games if the team isn't fully switched on.  

2 minutes ago, Copland bear said:

We were strong enough the day we pumped Hibs 6-2 in their own midden. 

We had the element of surprise that game. 

No-one really expected that, let alone Hibs. That's why we were so successful in the start, then teams starting being really defensive against us. 

9 minutes ago, RFCRobertson said:

We had the element of surprise that game. 

No-one really expected that, let alone Hibs. That's why we were so successful in the start, then teams starting being really defensive against us. 

It had nothing to do with surprise.  Hibs fielded a very weak team that day and we punished them for it.  They've since signed a few players and are a better team.  

Just now, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

It had nothing to do with surprise.  Hibs fielded a very weak team that day and we punished them for it.  They've since signed a few players and are a better team.  

Because they didn't think we were going to be as good as what we were. 

Hence, we surprised them. 

We were already strong enough to win. I think the added pace and direct running of O'Halloran will really help us against teams sitting in, which has been our main problem as the season has progressed. 

Too often we have been playing square balls and trying to pass through them. This eventually works but it can be frustrating having 70% possession and struggling to get shots away.  Whereas now we can have someone driving straight at their defence which teams hate. I'd expect use to score more goals against these teams now with him in the side. 

1 hour ago, TheMotor said:

I don't know how you would back up that claim. Even Falkirk have a better conversion rate of goals per attempt than any Premiership club except Hertz.

Are you seriously suggesting that we are going to get away with some of the gilt edged opportunities teams have been getting against us when we meet Celtic, Aberdeen, Hearts etc? As much as I despise the rancid wee fuck you cant really compare Griffiths to the dross that plays for Falkirk, Morton etc.

9 minutes ago, theclothmonster said:

Are you seriously suggesting that we are going to get away with some of the gilt edged opportunities teams have been getting against us when we meet Celtic, Aberdeen, Hearts etc? As much as I despise the rancid wee fuck you cant really compare Griffiths to the dross that plays for Falkirk, Morton etc.

Are you seriously suggesting that Mark and Davie don't know about any short comings in our defense and won't be able to fix them.

16 hours ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Which one?  They've beat us up in Edinburgh this season.  We were very lucky to win the first league game at Ibrox which many seem to forget.  They've had some great results against top-tier teams, have reached a domestic final, their league form is excellent.  Not to mention, they've just signed a proven goal-scorer.  The arrogance shown by some of our fans is unreal.  I do think we'll win this league but Hibs will push it close they're a good team.

And after all of that amazing football from Hibsalona were still top...

18 hours ago, Dutchy said:

I'm sure we'll win it. hivs still have their big 'collapse' to come yet and we've made some nice little signings.

I have to say I'm more excited about Billy King scoring for us than O'Hallaran but I'd take either one scoring to help us back to the top. O'Hallaran will be well bedded in by the start of training next year, and I'm fairly sure some others for the task of competing in the Premiership.

O'Halloran is a far superior player to Billy King. 

There's 14 more games to play in the Championship. 

March could be a tricky month for us however, We're facing Hibs away, then Morton at home then Falkirk away. 

So I think those 3 weeks are going to be the big decider for us, (I say morton because they're the only other team we've dropped points against). 

With the new additions however, our ability to penetrate and counter attack is greatly increased which is something we lacked slightly. So the Morton game at the very least should be easy enough for us, since they were more defensive.

Falkirk could cause trouble but in the end we'll win it, likely by a goal.

Hibs we'll need to go into it, guns ablazing. We've beaten them 3 times before, twice we did it very convincingly. 

Keep the 8 point (11 by the end of tonight hopefully) advantage until the 5th of March and we'll be in a great positon, at least that way should we draw or lose we still have a good lead over Hibs and Falkirk, however after that we can't really afford to go a step wrong. 

46 minutes ago, allgers said:

Are you seriously suggesting that Mark and Davie don't know about any short comings in our defense and won't be able to fix them.

Did you quote the wrong post or something? I never suggested anywhere that Warburton and Weir not knowing or being able to fix our defensive short comings. My point was we won't get away with the defensive lapses against the top 6, I fully expect Warburton to improve us in this department for next season.

It's pretty much all been said. we were already strong enough/good enough. There is more strength in depth and, perhaps more importantly, more variety in our options than before. I have no idea how it will all shake up at the end of the season with short term contracts and loans. I do imagine that some of the half dozen or so signings Warbs talked about will be people already with us signing for longer. Much has been said about needing a DM and Warburton's dealings so far lead to  the conclusion that the Job is Halliday's with Thompson being the next generation. In some matches Halliday is vulnerable to the ball over the top and Ball is a better option. He's the one I think Warburton will definitely want to keep at the end of the season.