Rangers boss Mark Warburton: January transfer business was satisfying but I want another six summer signings

LeeWallaceRFC

If we can replace guys like Shiels, Templeton & Clark with players closer to the quality of Tavernier, Waghorn and Holt then we will be in a great position next season.

I think we need cover at full back, a centre half who has more pace than Wilson, a holding midfielder (two midfielders if Zelalem doesn't stay for another season - although I think he might) and another option upfront.

After that it'll probably be a case of tweaking based on who is available and looking to replace anybody else who might leave.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, DeanMK said:

He's a scapegoat for the panic merchants that have meltdowns when we concede. Both Kiernan and Wilson have had poor moments. As have many of our players. But many of their team mates leave them exposed at times against quick breaks. An agile DM who will continue to play in a deep position will help them both. 

Tav, Kiernan,  Ball and Wilson have all had bad moments - but Wilson seems to have more than most and doesn't seem to be rectifying them the way Kiernan has. Some of Wilsons have been glaringly bad as well.  When does a player who regularly makes mistakes become a "scapegoat"?

I dont rate him. He isn't improving and imho will be a total liability in the Premiership. Pulling in DM's and keeping Wallace or Tav back  to help him, is only papering over the cracks.

2 hours ago, Ryju84 said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong... 

IF Rangers win the Scottish Cup, that puts us into the qualifying rounds of the Europa league in summer? If so, that's surely going to appeal to some potential targets as well. 

Aye it does. Also, if we were to meet the dhims in the final we would qualify regardless of the result. Well, assuming they win their one horse race of a division.

2 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Over to the suits then, you have been told. 

Well they backed the manager last summer and they backed the manager in January. So, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest they'll be backing the manager this summer too. Crazy I know.

3 hours ago, K.A.I said:

If we've already had this discussion then I don't need to explain again 

that line of thought of yours is simplistic and idiotic 

we need real investment - not the odd 500k here and there 

It's your line of thought that is simplistic and idiotic. Spending millions on players doesn't guarantee anything. 

For me we need 3 squad players and 3 first team players. The squad players have to be a LB and a RB. Cover for Wallace and to really push Tav for competition. Against Hibs, Dumbarton and Livi he was top drawer. Against Falkirk he blew hot and cold he needs competition. Wallaces level hasn't dropped once this season so he just needs cover.

We need a quality CB to partner Kiernan and another as back up to Kiernan with Wilson back up to the other. 

A first team CDM. 

A striker. I believe Waggy is much better on the wing, Miller will drop to the bench, Mckay or Ohallaron will take the other wing or McKay might drop into the middle with Holt or Halliday.

Our attacking options are frightening at the moment.

Think that Miller will be joining the coaching team next season. He's good enough for this league but next year? Also wonder if some of the signings this year will be good enough for Europe, which is what we should be building for. As regards Wilson, it is not necessarily that he has become a poor player but that I feel our system is not suited to him. Again, good enough for this league but would be found wanting in the PL.

4 hours ago, sammy cox said:

What makes you say that.We have already had this discussion about 12.5 million pounds worth of players.Do tell me how much did Ross County spend?. Before you say it was a one off game every game is a one off as MW says himself one game at a time get it out the way and move on.To win any league you need consistency.If the sheep had showed any kind of consistency they would have pulled clear of the scum weeks ago and how many millions have they spent?.

Not sure you can use Ross County spending as a good comparison seeing as they are 20 odd points behind Celtic in the league. I do agree with you on what we should be spending though, I wouldn't be unhappy bringing in 4-6 500k players.

1 hour ago, AlBear85 said:

Well they backed the manager last summer and they backed the manager in January. So, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest they'll be backing the manager this summer too. Crazy I know.

I'm sure you will point out where I said they didn't. (tu)

Good to see Warburton keeping them honest by getting the number of players he needs out there early. 

3 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

I'm sure you will point out where I said they didn't. (tu)

Good to see Warburton keeping them honest by getting the number of players he needs out there early. 

You clearly have doubts, no different than those who doubted it before last summer and doubted it in January too.

Aye, I'm sure he had to put a gun to their head. :rolleyes:

51 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

For me we need 3 squad players and 3 first team players. The squad players have to be a LB and a RB. Cover for Wallace and to really push Tav for competition. Against Hibs, Dumbarton and Livi he was top drawer. Against Falkirk he blew hot and cold he needs competition. Wallaces level hasn't dropped once this season so he just needs cover.

We need a quality CB to partner Kiernan and another as back up to Kiernan with Wilson back up to the other. 

A first team CDM. 

A striker. I believe Waggy is much better on the wing, Miller will drop to the bench, Mckay or Ohallaron will take the other wing or McKay might drop into the middle with Holt or Halliday.

Our attacking options are frightening at the moment.

Warbs wouldn't agree with your use of "squad player" and "first team player"

he he would be more likely to ask for players that posses qualities the don't currently have.

Gone are he says we waste money on players with no chance of getting near the team

1 minute ago, Bellshill_Bear said:

Warbs wouldn't agree with your use of "squad player" and "first team player"

he he would be more likely to ask for players that posses qualities the don't currently have.

Gone are he says we waste money on players with no chance of getting near the team

Needs more, Lean, Tight and Hunger as well. 

2 minutes ago, Getstiffed said:

All this talk of squad players is brutal ffs.

The magic hat has spoken and he's said everyone has to see the first team.

Get this notion of signing 2 or 3 players who wont play unless Tav, Wallace et al are unavailable out of your head.

People ignore what he says if it doesn't suit their opinion.

Warburton, McParland and Mulholland have all said since the start that we want to produce our own players. If we need squad players Auchenhowie is full of them and they've all committed to not being against using that resource..

8 minutes ago, AlBear85 said:

You clearly have doubts, no different than those who doubted it before last summer and doubted it in January too.

Aye, I'm sure he had to put a gun to their head. :rolleyes:

Unlike you I will always doubt the suits in the boardroom, still waiting for you point out where I said they hadn't backed him. (tu)

Considering Warburton can run rings around the business acumen of most of that board put together I wouldnt  consider it much of a challenge for him, so I doubt he would need a gun. 

4 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Unlike you I will always doubt the suits in the boardroom, still waiting for you point out where I said they hadn't backed him. (tu)

Considering Warburton can run rings around the business acumen of most of that board put together I wouldnt  consider it much of a challenge for him, so I doubt he would need a gun. 

If you want to play that game, where did I say you did? Was it implied? :rolleyes:

He has been happy with 'the suits' support since day one, so I agree MW probably knows he has no need for a gun or 'ultimatums'. (tu)

1 hour ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

Aye it does. Also, if we were to meet the dhims in the final we would qualify regardless of the result. Well, assuming they win their one horse race of a division.

Pretty sure they have changed that mate and the cup runners up don't qualify for Europe now, the spot goes to the next highest league position out with the qualifying spots. 

We need to win the cup to go into Europe

54 minutes ago, theclothmonster said:

Not sure you can use Ross County spending as a good comparison seeing as they are 20 odd points behind Celtic in the league. I do agree with you on what we should be spending though, I wouldn't be unhappy bringing in 4-6 500k 

9 minutes ago, AlBear85 said:

People ignore what he says if it doesn't suit their opinion.

Warburton, McParland and Mulholland have all said since the start that we want to produce our own players. If we need squad players Auchenhowie is full of them and they've all committed to not being against using that resource..

Dave King has said himself in several interviews how important Auchenhowie is going to be in the future long term strategy of the club.It's going to take time and I think most if not all Rangers fans know we haven't got unlimited financial resources so all the more reason that the football department start utilising Auchenhowie to its maximum return.We will never produce a full team but I think we may well be on the way to producing a few first team regulars in the not to distant future.

5 hours ago, K.A.I said:

Glad to hear it 

the 6 have to be of a decent caliber for beating Celtic.

No Scottish loans or 6 monthers.

top quality. 

This.

No more stop gaps/loans.

These players need to be good enough to come straight into the first team and make us a better side.