Rangers boss Mark Warburton: January transfer business was satisfying but I want another six summer signings

LeeWallaceRFC

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, PRW. said:

Indeed. 

We should be spending £1.5m on Ciftci type players to compete with these top level teams.

No we shouldn't be doing that either 

why do people on here think that buying wee guys a few hundred grand here and there will get us to the land of milk and honey 

everyonr would be doing this 

reality check needed 

1 hour ago, Sket said:

It's your line of thought that is simplistic and idiotic. Spending millions on players doesn't guarantee anything. 

And your an even bigger idiot if you think spending less gives us a bigger chance 

you get what you pay for end of

24 minutes ago, Tiger Shaw said:

Pretty sure they have changed that mate and the cup runners up don't qualify for Europe now, the spot goes to the next highest league position out with the qualifying spots. 

We need to win the cup to go into Europe

Awrite. We would hump them anyhow. They can't defend for fuck.

5 hours ago, Skyson1872 said:

guess that means no ones contract is getting renewed. Ball, Zelalem, Law, Shiels, Temps, Gostomski? That's 6 Any others? I think we will sign King

I'm not so sure he doesn't include signing 1 or 2 of them, or extending their loans. I'm not sure Hearts will let him go if he does well and we won' sign him if he doesn't. Purely a guess but I reckon Arsenal will be keen to see how Zelalem does in the Premier League (or even Europe, if we win the Scottish Cup) and  Warburton may feel that he can mature. Ball is doing enough to warrant a contract too. I assume Spurs haven't offered him a new one? The rest, who knows. Gostomski's situation may depend on Bell's situation - he may have won the number 1 jersey or want to leave - and so on.

10 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

And your an even bigger idiot if you think spending less gives us a bigger chance 

That thinking would make players like Holt shite...

I agree we need investment for the top leagues and Europe, I think we'll get that from this board too. But, we will need nowhere near the size of investment you think we'll need, imo.

Just now, AlBear85 said:

That thinking would make players like Holt shite...

He's a bargain no doubt about it but he's never a Davis, B.Ferguson, Mendes for example I.e that bit of quality you spend a few million on - that's the type of player we need to guarantee success 

it's a dangerous business plan for us trying to get back to where we belong if you start thinking we can start paying 65 and 400k for players like Holt and Waghorn every time 

holt is a decent wee player but that's for where we are now 

as I said if it were that easy spending so little to get these high caliber players then everyone would be doing it 

first person to say "so you want us to go back to spending millions again and go bust" gets a cyber slap for missing the point - there's a balance to be had 

@K.A.I

Spot on it's a balance. The days of spending a couple million on players just because of reputation are gone. MW looks at the full package, not just the player but the person. 

Investment in players will rise but on the clubs terms. If the value isn't right for us, we'll find another player who does offer that value. MW has said if it's decided a £1 million+ player provides that value we'll make our move. But, we really don't need to be paying £5-10 million a window to achieve our ultimate goals IMO.

there is possible 10/11 players leaving this summer if we can replace them with 6 quality signings then we'll be strong. I would go for 3 loan's and 3 permanent signings all of whom will need to be of quality of Davis and jelavic signings of years gone by.

Just now, AlBear85 said:

@K.A.I

Spot on it's a balance. The days of spending a couple million on players just because of reputation are gone. MW looks at the full package, not just the player but the person. 

Investment in players will rise but on the clubs terms. If the value is right for us we'll find a player who does offer that value. MW has said if it's decided a £1 million+ player provides that value we'll make our move. But, we really don't need to be paying £5-10 million a window to achieve our ultimate goals IMO.

Yeah i agree. 

Imo though we need 4/5 maybe 6 players in the mound of Mendes, Miller, Davis, Cuellar, Bougherra for example to get us where we want to be - 2/3 million pound players that give you value but without spunking absolute millions 

with all due respect to guys like Holt and Halliday and King and O'Halloran etc that's just not them 

don't get me wrong if we can get they types of players we need for as little as possible then fantastic but generally you get what you pay for 

every single signing Warburton makes gets my support because I believe in what he's doing - I just have my own opinion on what's needed and think it's a dangerous business plan for us to fill us a team with little unearthed diamonds and think we can beat Celtic and into the Champions a League 

by all means prove me wrong - I'd love it 

The overall number of the first team squad I think will not change . I would expect Bell,Zeleam, Templeton, Clark ,Shields,Aird and Law all to go. I would like to see Ball signed on a permanent deal if we can manage it. That frees up approx 6 places or so for new players. I suspect some of our own players who we have on loan  might be freed - Crawford, Garspartto ,Murdoch etc. That might free up some places as well with hopefully the likes of Walsh and Hardie pushing  for first team squad places. I think we will see a fair size of turn over in the squad but without a great increase in numbers. I just hope some of the youths show up well and grab a place like McKay has done 

I love the way some think that we need to spend millions to beat the mighty powers of most of the spl.Perhaps  DK has  recognised we might only need a good manager and football dept who can get the best out of a good group of players put together for  a lot less than the millions banded about on some internet forums. .Coached properly and keen to learn with a desire to win.Rangers  teams in the past prior to  Mr Souness have been more than capable of beating all in the spl or whatever it has been and lets not say things have changed.Things haven't changed for almost every club in Scotlan bar 2 for over 140 years.There has been no club outside of the old firm that I know of in all this time who have spent millions so nothing has changed for them  the Kilmarnocks,the Dundees,Motherwells etc.We along with the scum seem to think we need to spend to beat these teams,teams that we fail to beat on occassion just ask the scum about Sunday to get a feel for that.Does anyone think they got what they paid for on Sunday? got what they deserved certainly. Ive heard it mentioned as well regarding different matters about a plan B.Well whats plan b if the board give MW 5-10 million and he doesn't win anything.Whats the next brainwave.Spend another  5-10 million and maybe win nothing again.Where does it end.Have we not learned anything from our past failures.Spending  multi millions on players to beat the might of European football such as ICT, SJ and Hamilton.

7 minutes ago, sammy cox said:

I love the way some think that we need to spend millions to beat the mighty powers of most of the spl.Perhaps  DK has  recognised we might only need a good manager and football dept who can get the best out of a good group of players put together for  a lot less than the millions banded about on some internet forums. .Coached properly and keen to learn with a desire to win.Rangers  teams in the past prior to  Mr Souness have been more than capable of beating all in the spl or whatever it has been and lets not say things have changed.Things haven't changed for almost every club in Scotlan bar 2 for over 140 years.There has been no club outside of the old firm that I know of in all this time who have spent millions so nothing has changed for them  the Kilmarnocks,the Dundees,Motherwells etc.We along with the scum seem to think we need to spend to beat these teams,teams that we fail to beat on occassion just ask the scum about Sunday to get a feel for that.Does anyone think they got what they paid for on Sunday? got what they deserved certainly. Ive heard it mentioned as well regarding different matters about a plan B.Well whats plan b if the board give MW 5-10 million and he doesn't win anything.Whats the next brainwave.Spend another  5-10 million and maybe win nothing again.Where does it end.Have we not learned anything from our past failures.Spending  multi millions on players to beat the might of European football such as ICT, SJ and Hamilton.

Again, going by that logic lets just not spend anything ever again just incase it doesn't work out.

the last line is mental - it's not the likes of Inverness, St Johnstone and Hamilton we need to worry about.

I have a wee theory on why some people think the way you do but reluctant to even say it because it would just derail the thread to fuck The Dude style and I'd hate to be that guy 

43 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Their are two ways of looking at this, we picked up gems like bougy and cuellar for the 2.5 million bracket you mention, they are the kind of players that will take us forward but for every bargain their is a dud deal round the corner, as a club we can ill afford any disastrous signings.

So I guess we have to trust the gaffer to sign players that represent value, I reckon we will see a mixture of both with a couple of bosmans also.

1 million spent on players will win the top league. MW is savvy enough to spend that money very wisely and pick winners without breaking the bank. Quiet a few will go in the summer freeing up wages and that money will bring in better standard players. MW has enough just now to win the league and I think he is now looking for players to win the top league next year and keep the books balanced. MW and Rangers summer is going to be very busy. 

Septic are poor, their players are not outstanding or even at a good European level and they continue to be inconsistent but they are 1 level above us; I think MW will rectify that in the summer and Rangers will be aiming to win it (one game at a time).

2 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

Their are two ways of looking at this, we picked up gems like bougy and cuellar for the 2.5 million bracket you mention, they are the kind of players that will take us forward but for every bargain their is a dud deal round the corner, as a club we can ill afford any disastrous signings.

So I guess we have to trust the gaffer to sign players that represent value, I reckon we will see a mixture of both with a couple of bosmans also.

Yeah I agree. No matter what market you are operating in be it frees, loans, cheap end or multi millions - not every single signing will be a success. That just never happens 

I just want us to have the best chance possible even if it means spending some real money (without being silly and throwing good money down the drain)

8 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Again, going by that logic lets just not spend anything ever again just incase it doesn't work out.

the last line is mental - it's not the likes of Inverness, St Johnstone and Hamilton we need to worry about.

I have a wee theory on why some people think the way you do but reluctant to even say it because it would just derail the thread to fuck The Dude style and I'd hate to be that guy 

Where did my logic imply not spending anything,just not multi millions that 1, the club doesn't have and 2, that in my opinion we don't have to spend to beat the likes of most if not all of the teams in the spl.I could be wrong but  I don't think MW believes that we need to spend that kind of money either

You have yet to answer where this 10 million plus that you think needs to be spent is coming from and you have still to answer what your plan b will be if that money is spent with no winning return.

Its is not rocket science either to think the way I do.I and I suspect plenty more do not wish to see the club back in financial shit spending money we don't have to beat teams put together for 2 bob just so we can say " whas like us ". Its time some realised there wont be any quick fix solutions,its going to take a lot of hard work off and on the park and " EVERYONE" buying into the footballing philosophy that MW and co are trying to implement at the club.

2 minutes ago, sammy cox said:

Where did my logic imply not spending anything,just not multi millions that 1, the club doesn't have and 2, that in my opinion we don't have to spend to beat the likes of most if not all of the teams in the spl.I could be wrong but  I don't think MW believes that we need to spend that kind of money either

You have yet to answer where this 10 million plus that you think needs to be spent is coming from and you have still to answer what your plan b will be if that money is spent with no winning return.

Its is not rocket science either to think the way I do.I and I suspect plenty more do not wish to see the club back in financial shit spending money we don't have to beat teams put together for 2 bob just so we can say " whas like us ". Its time some realised there wont be any quick fix solutions,its going to take a lot of hard work off and on the park and " EVERYONE" buying into the footballing philosophy that MW and co are trying to implement at the club.

Season Tickets, the Support put in to see the best team on the park.

1 minute ago, Smile said:

Season Tickets, the Support put in to see the best team on the park.

So you honestly think that season ticket money alone is going to fund 10 million plus for fees and pay these players wages and the wages for the whole team good luck with that.

1 hour ago, K.A.I said:

Where did I say that?

Throwing money around guarantees nothing. The signings need to be smart. Your 'we pyoor need to buy players worth millions tae win aw the trophies' philosophy is horse shit.

35 minutes ago, ZZed said:

1 million spent on players will win the top league. MW is savvy enough to spend that money very wisely and pick winners without breaking the bank. Quiet a few will go in the summer freeing up wages and that money will bring in better standard players. MW has enough just now to win the league and I think he is now looking for players to win the top league next year and keep the books balanced. MW and Rangers summer is going to be very busy. 

Septic are poor, their players are not outstanding or even at a good European level and they continue to be inconsistent but they are 1 level above us; I think MW will rectify that in the summer

1 minute ago, Sket said:

Where did I say that?

Throwing money around guarantees nothing. The signings need to be smart. Your 'we pyoor need to buy players worth millions tae win aw the trophies' philosophy is horse shit.

Ignore the additional quote this things playing up

honestly mate your a mongo if you don't think we need to spend proper money and get back to champions league after winning our title back from Celtic on a shoestring 

if it was that easy Aberdeen or Hearts would be running away with the league 

I heard all this naive shit when McCoist was the manager in different forms before people had a reality check and things sunk in 

it might be horseshit to you but I think you are living in a bubble or fantasy land if you think wee bargain buys here and there even from the best manager we've had since Advocaat will do it 

and again, for about the tenth time I'm not talking about spunking millions - a few million maybe 10 on 4 or 5 players spend wisely isn't beyond us and should do it