*****The Official Rangers v Kilmarnock Match Thread*****

PromDeAnglais

"....and there were some big chances we didn’t convert."   MW quote from post-match statements (see Rangers official website).

This is a recurrent theme that MW has been playing out for quite a while now.    Clearly there is a problem in converting the many chances created in games into goals.    He did not sign any experienced proven No9 during the transfer window.   I don't know if - at the heart of it - this as a matter of unavailability of player, not enough money, no suitable target identified or what.  

Lots of talk about players playing interchangeably across the 7.8.10 and 11 slots which is fine and creative.  If that approach converts into a league-winning season then we'll all be happy.   But if he is consistently observing a lacking in converting chances into goals and there has deliberately been no attempt made to sign an experienced goal-scoring striker then we are left with those who remain to shift up a gear and take more of the chances they are creating. 

TBH I would not look forward to more of the same types of 'made chances but didn't convert enough' comment from MW week after week now that the season has reached business end and no opportunity to do anything more about adding to the squad.   We can all see the chances being created from the abundant possession being established.   But its goals that win games.  To borrow one of his oft used phrases 'Its as simple as that.'    And as difficult as that if you don't have enough striker fire-power in the squad locker.  

I actually think Wilson is improving, he's starting to be a lot more aggressive in the air and isn't trying long balls which weren't coming off before. 

Ball at CDM is definitely helping the two CBs, which makes it even more of a shame that Kiernan has got injured. 

Kiernan being out for a little while is probably good news for Halliday, because he's playing himself out of the team at this rate.

3 hours ago, allgers said:

Waghorn was getting into the position to score but was just off as he has been in previous games, maybe he does need some time out but that up to the management team to sort out.

That's never going to happen though as the manager has already said that all Waggorn needed to push on in his career was games, and gets better all the time, so to leave him out would go against that statement 

If I had been a neutral I'd have liked that match. As cup games go, it was a great game of football. The attendance wasn't bad, and not many left before the end. Somehow the goal we needed seemed to be coming, and very nearly did. For a 0-0, it was good. Pity we didn't win, but playing a SPL team away from home might be no bad thing.

16 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

If I had been a neutral I'd have liked that match. As cup games go, it was a great game of football. The attendance wasn't bad, and not many left before the end. Somehow the goal we needed seemed to be coming, and very nearly did. For a 0-0, it was good. Pity we didn't win, but playing a SPL team away from home might be no bad thing.

We did so many things right today, putting the ball in the back of the net would have finished it off. We are playing some attractive football though so neutrals might be attracted to that, I liked that game on TV, in past years we have had some games that you think, everybody in Britain can see this.

21 minutes ago, allgers said:

We did so many things right today, putting the ball in the back of the net would have finished it off. We are playing some attractive football though so neutrals might be attracted to that, I liked that game on TV, in past years we have had some games that you think, everybody in Britain can see this.

The first five minutes set in place the kind of game it was going to be; it was end to end from the kick-off. It was like an old fashioned typical cup tie.

6 hours ago, Marky. said:

A frustrating watch, we weren't at the races with finishing but there were positives.

Kiernan was outstanding today and deserved the man of the match call over anybody.

Wilson was good, too, after the traditional slow start.

Was a cracking header off the bar, his shot just sneaked past & he made a great block from one of their likelier efforts (like last week v Falkirk).

Hope Rob's injury isn't too serious.