Harry Forrester: Have We Found Ourselves A Good Player?

Turnberry18

22 minutes ago, To Be A Ranger said:

Haven't seen anything yet that makes me excited about his play, but he hasn't had much time in the team.

Sometimes it looks like something is going to happen, he darts in and out, heads for the bye line, gets ready to take a man on, steadies himself for a shot...... but each time there's no end product. Maybe he's trying too hard.

I'm now a bit nonplussed when he gets on the ball, but I hope he comes good.

When he came on last night he linked up very well with Wallace. He showed an excellent first touch, a good deal of pace, and got beyond the last defender a couple of times. I reckon he will get a goal within the next two or three matches. He is a very direct attacking player.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've seen very very little of him so far,friendly reminder that there were people calling Waghorn a journeyman etc after one game :lol: 

I do think there is a player in there though,good with the ball at his feet and will run at defenders. He'll get better the more we see him I'm sure of it.

There are loads of wide or attacking midfield players who can turn a player, pull off a trick or drive an exciting looking cross in.

The ones you remember are the ones who can consistently produce results.

Loads of players look great until opponents get used to their style and it's only the good ones who have enough in their locker to keep a step ahead of the game.

He has potential, but that's what Warburton looks for and tries to develop.

It's certainly been a hell of a lot of fun watching the squad develop so far.

I saw something in him in the first two games even though he wasn't too effective, and then not so much in the Falkirk game ( limited time ) and last night he showed there is a player there without actually producing anything. Definitely stronger than McKay although maybe not quite as fast. Pressure is on him to earn himself an extended contract especially as completion is stronger for playing time. I think he will come good.

1 hour ago, Turnberry18 said:

Of course, but my point was that on the evidence of the Raith match he looked a better prospect than maybe some had imagined; myself included.

Nice to hear of some improvement.

He doesn't seem lacking in drive, so if an end product can be bolted on, that could be good.

Far too early to form an opinion of him. We have this penchant for coming to conclusions about a player 5 minutes after they walk through the door. It's not easy joining a club in another League and instantly showing your qualities, as there are too many factors such as fitness, match sharpness etc that will dictate how you succeed, or otherwise

Maybe even Mark Warburton still hasn't made his mind up about Forrester and that's why he gave him a 6 month period to show what he can do for Rangers.

26 minutes ago, Smile said:

Looked a lot fitter the other night and played a lot better with more games he could become a key player for us.

Agreed, and I think the point I was trying to make was that their was a dramatic difference in this performance than he previous games; their defence seemed to appreciate they had a bit of a problem dealing with him. He looked to have gained a couple yards in the space of a match. After he came on he looked our busiest player, which just wasn't the case when he was on previously.

9 hours ago, Bad Robot said:

I reckon he will turn out a right good one. I thought that the first time he played.

I agree, I thought he has done well every time he has played, aye he makes a few pish shots or crosses, but every player in our team does that week in week out, we should criticise the full team for that not just him

31 minutes ago, Ozblue said:

Far too early to form an opinion of him. We have this penchant for coming to conclusions about a player 5 minutes after they walk through the door. It's not easy joining a club in another League and instantly showing your qualities, as there are too many factors such as fitness, match sharpness etc that will dictate how you succeed, or otherwise

Maybe even Mark Warburton still hasn't made his mind up about Forrester and that's why he gave him a 6 month period to show what he can do for Rangers.

You're right Oz, and I possibly jumped to a conclusion that he wasn't good enough in the first couple of matches I saw him. The other night I saw the potential for him to be a good player who could possibly impact a game.

6 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

You're right Oz, and I possibly jumped to a conclusion that he wasn't good enough in the first couple of matches I saw him. The other night I saw the potential for him to be a good player who could possibly impact a game.

I thought your critique of Forrester was reasonably fair for the way he has performed so far,Turnberry and to be quite honest I am still weighing up his natural skills that he has shown touches of. He definitely has talent, but where I am more looking at is his decision making,which to me will show whether he will be good enough for us.

So far he has been too indecisive when it comes to the final product and he is unsure whether to deliver a killer pass or shoot himself, which is leading to getting caught between the two options and ending up not getting the final product right. If game time and match fitness improves that ability then we have a good player on our hands; if not he will not get a contract at the end of the season.

51 minutes ago, Ozblue said:

I thought your critique of Forrester was reasonably fair for the way he has performed so far,Turnberry and to be quite honest I am still weighing up his natural skills that he has shown touches of. He definitely has talent, but where I am more looking at is his decision making,which to me will show whether he will be good enough for us.

So far he has been too indecisive when it comes to the final product and he is unsure whether to deliver a killer pass or shoot himself, which is leading to getting caught between the two options and ending up not getting the final product right. If game time and match fitness improves that ability then we have a good player on our hands; if not he will not get a contract at the end of the season.

I think a lot of this may be the nature of the club he is now playing for.... I know we are in Scotland's 2nd tier but playing in front of the Gers fans (especially at Ibrox) must be a little daunting at times to those players who are deemed to be "skilful" with the expectation of 50,000 ready to cheer!

Once he has some more game time and can get over that initial shock to the system that will be a full Ibrox and the loudness and passion of our fans, I hope to see a more settled player and can then make a more informed decision on his likelihood of a contract come summer.

7 minutes ago, desman75 said:

I think a lot of this may be the nature of the club he is now playing for.... I know we are in Scotland's 2nd tier but playing in front of the Gers fans (especially at Ibrox) must be a little daunting at times to those players who are deemed to be "skilful" with the expectation of 50,000 ready to cheer!

Once he has some more game time and can get over that initial shock to the system that will be a full Ibrox and the loudness and passion of our fans, I hope to see a more settled player and can then make a more informed decision on his likelihood of a contract come summer.

Good post,mate! (tu)

That was one of the things I was alluding to in my original comment,desman, as you will see below........

"Far too early to form an opinion of him. We have this penchant for coming to conclusions about a player 5 minutes after they walk through the door. It's not easy joining a club in another League and instantly showing your qualities, as there are too many factors such as fitness, match sharpness etc that will dictate how you succeed, or otherwise"

Mark Warburton never had any doubts about the skill qualities of Harry Forrester and that's one of the reasons we have got him on a 6 month trial, so he is being given time to come up to scratch. I personally think H F will handle the pressure of being at Rangers and go on to become an important addition to our squad.