Dominic Ball

I think Ball should keep that spot. Done a great job today and we've been lacking a DM badly. From Ball to Wes, we were solid. The scary thing for me is that our best efforts came from defenders. Changes up front need to be made to freshen things up. 

Seems to me we were more effective in games with Holt and Halliday both playing and with the CB's being rotated between K, W and B.    It seemed more settled and more creative.  Ball in front may be more solid defensively but less effective in adding a creative dimension to the midfield and less inclined to push forward when sensible opportunities arise. 

Not losing goals is of course great and to be continued.   But the amount of chances we are making and squandering must be of some concern as we approach the latter part of the season.  We don't win leagues on match stats of volume of possession or numbers of corners or shots at goal.  Games are won by scoring goals - more goals than the opposition.  The sources of plentiful goal scoring seem to be drying up a bit.   Over to MW to stop talking about the amount of possession and pitch geography and keeping going for full 90+ minutes and start to get the team to rediscover the art of taking the goal scoring chances and building on that.    He chose not to go for a proven experienced goal scorer during the Jan window (MOH is not a CF goal scoring striker).  So - stating the blindingly obvious - the goals are going to have to continue coming from a wide range of players.  

2 minutes ago, siamthedanger said:

Kiernan all over the shop in first half but was great in the 2nd. Still reckon Ball is our best CB and he should be there with Kiernan. 

I think Ball may be our best CB aswell, but he played the DM role so well today, it took the pressure off Wilson and Kiernan and let them play better. I'd be happy to keep that set up for the forseeable.

12 minutes ago, Moody Blue said:

I think it highlights what a strong defensive midfielder brings to the team when we see Kiernan and Wilson a lot more solid. I dont think he's the long term solution as you need your DM to have a bit more "midfielder" capabilities as well and that's his weakness. 

Totally agree, but I'm just judging on this cup run. The further we go, the better teams we play. In the league, we're playing weaker opposition and don't need that type of player so much, as the league table shows. Long term (next season), the team will have new players and hopefully that type of player will be in the team. We'll worry about that over the summer.

We've looked more solid in the last three games with him in there, deserves to keep his place. Unfortunately today, with him, Halliday and Zelalem all in the middle of the park, they all wanted to sit without much movement. Halliday needs to learn to push forward more if Ball is in there and we look a lot better with Holt in midfield, who does go beyond the front three

20 minutes ago, 1NachoNovo said:

I think Ball may be our best CB aswell, but he played the DM role so well today, it took the pressure off Wilson and Kiernan and let them play better. I'd be happy to keep that set up for the forseeable.

Yeah I would not mind him playing DM but I just don't trust Wilson, still need convinced he can do it week in week out for us. Think we will be buying another CB in the summer anyways so will see what happens then. 

Lost the ball too often for my liking and his touch isn't great. Thought he was solid though and definitely offered more protection for the back 4.

Would like to see him given a chance with holt and law infront of him. Feel that might be our best midfield. Haliday didn't offer much today apart from a few long range efforts 

1 minute ago, siamthedanger said:

Yeah I would not mind him playing DM but I just don't trust Wilson, still need convinced he can do it week in week out for us. Think we will be buying another CB in the summer anyways so will see what happens then. 

Time will tell with Wilson, but I thought he did good today. Even had a decent shot at goal. As you say, a new CB, or two, in the summer is a certainty. It's up to him to prove his worth between now and then. He did well for us before in the SPL, so anything is possible in the right circumstances.