We were unlucky today

Gaz52

Defensively solid. Dominated them from start to finish. A few decent chances created, the ball just wouldn't fall for us unfortunately. Not even slightly worried about going to Rugby Park as it showed today we're much better than that shower.  Every man behind the ball in a Scottish cup tie against a lower league side, their fans must be embarrassed. 

2 minutes ago, Gaz52 said:

Defensively solid. Dominated them from start to finish. A few decent chances created, the ball just wouldn't fall for us unfortunately. Not even slightly worried about going to Rugby Park as it showed today we're much better than that shower.  Every man behind the ball in a Scottish cup tie against a lower league side, their fans must be embarrassed. 

I wouldn't say embarrassed, more a reality check that quite soon, they will be getting pumped at least 4 times a season. Just like the good old days (tu)

I thought we started tentatively - even a little timidly - but as the game went on we became more like our usual self. Regardless of the teams and their league positions, Killie still play against a higher calibre of opposition week in week out. 

For us to look the premiership team and them to look like the championship side is an achievement in itself.

15 minutes ago, Gaz52 said:

Couldn't agree more. I thought we played well today. Final third better, job done.

Roll on the replay 

We have to get used to teams like Killy. They will play defensive home and away against us but they do have a slightly better quality player, than what we face in the league. A bit of a learning curve for us, St J and Killy are good lessons to be learned and I think we have a manager who will learn them quickly.

I agree - I think we were unlucky.   But to a large extent games don't rely on luck - they rely more on sides taking the chances that are presented and if, as we did today and not for the first time in recent weeks, we create a lot and take none then its not solely down to luck.  

May be no bad thing to have an extra game to play a SPFL side and away at that.  As a further means of sharpening the players up to take the chances without it being in a much more important league game situation it could be useful.   Killy surely cannot adopt a bus-parking approach playing at home so you'd expect more space to exploit.    But dominating possession and creating chances is not ultimately what matters - its scoring more goals than the opposition.   And for that, there seems to be a fair bit of work to do to motivate the team to take more of the chances they are creating.       

Testament to our style of football today that a Premiership team came and sat with 10 behind the ball to earn a replay (because they need extra money according to McCulloch lol).

The reality is that is exactly the way itl be all next season at home apart from when we play tims and aberdeen. 

People need to remember theyve done this to the tims, twice this season.

Again we had a lot of the ball and created quite a few chances,  but unlucky again.  But we seem to be unlucky a lot recently,  and our domination is not resulting in putting teams away.  Don't think we get enough players in the box quick enough,  and those in their just aren't sharp enough.