Can we start being honest about where we are now

K.A.I

By next season we will have team the core of which will have one full season together and will be playing a football style that is familiar to all.  Our squad will be strengthened by the addition of Crooks and Windass.  Additionally we will see over the remainder of the season how King and MoH can slot into the side.

Feel confident that MW will also bring in some new faces in the summer window, players who can quickly fit into our system.  Gone are the days of changing the system to suit the type of players we have on the books, now we are bringing players who can fit into our system. Gawd it's nice to say that.

If I have once concern, it's the ability of our players, not to compete with the'quality'of the SPL,but our ability to match the physicality of the top flight.  Recently I watched Hearts absolute bully the Sheep in a cup match. Within two weks, I watched the same Aberdeen bully septic in every department.  The physical aspect could be our greatest challenge as we will match anyone for quality.

We urgently need to fill that role which MW had lined up for Eustace.  Dom Ball showed today that a midfielder in front of the back four can pay dividends.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

By next season we will have team the core of which will have one full season together and will be playing a football style that is familiar to all.  Our squad will be strengthened by the addition of Crooks and Windass.  Additionally we will see over the remainder of the season how King and MoH can slot into the side.

Feel confident that MW will also bring in some new faces in the summer window, players who can quickly fit into our system.  Gone are the days of changing the system to suit the type of players we have on the books, now we are bringing players who can fit into our system. Gawd it's nice to say that.

If I have once concern, it's the ability of our players, not to compete with the'quality'of the SPL,but our ability to match the physicality of the top flight.  Recently I watched Hearts absolute bully the Sheep in a cup match. Within two weks, I watched the same Aberdeen bully septic in every department.  The physical aspect could be our greatest challenge as we will match anyone for quality.

We urgently need to fill that role which MW had lined up for Eustace.  Dom Ball showed today that a midfielder in front of the back four can pay dividends.

TBH going on what I've seen the past 3 games Ball is exactly the type of player we need for next season to fit into our system and best of all is he's already here and provided we get promoted and he get's the run in that position he could be persuaded to sign a contract with us (provided Tottenham don't try and tempt him) ... Ball is the least of our worries - he's great - the problem is playing a Zelalem in there with him and our creatitivity is hindered.

I would love to see a midfield x3 of Holt, Ball and Law. That would work well for us.

52 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

TBH going on what I've seen the past 3 games Ball is exactly the type of player we need for next season to fit into our system and best of all is he's already here and provided we get promoted and he get's the run in that position he could be persuaded to sign a contract with us (provided Tottenham don't try and tempt him) ... Ball is the least of our worries - he's great - the problem is playing a Zelalem in there with him and our creatitivity is hindered.

I would love to see a midfield x3 of Holt, Ball and Law. That would work well for us.

Not sure if you misread my post but I was praising Balls role today, and have said for months we should try to sign him at the end of the season if the opportunity arises.  My comment about bringing g in a Eustace type was based on the assumption Ball will go back to Spurs.  

Again my biggest concern next season is the physical aspect of the game as our players tend to get brushed aside too easily.

1 minute ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Not sure if you misread my post but I was praising Balls role today, and have said for months we should try to sign him at the end of the season if the opportunity arises.  My comment about bringing g in a Eustace type was based on the assumption Ball will go back to Spurs.  

Again my biggest concern next season is the physical aspect of the game as our players tend to get brushed aside too easily.

I was agreeing with you mate.

Done ok today, but a few bad days at the office concerns me as it's always on the big games. It's almost like our players largely are too afraid to fail to perform in these big games.

our usual biggest threats all had off days, waggy, tavers, Wallace should have done better. Waghorn had the touch of a kerb today a right mare. Our players were running backwards with the ball as killie had 2-3 players closing us down and the players couldn't cope.

defensively I thought kiernan was solid but his distribution was out of sorts.

Zelalem is a great footballer but just now he is like playing with a man down. Law on from the start.

roll on the away leg to finally put these things to bed. If hibs beat st Johnstone and Aberdeen we should be able to beat kil fucking marnock.

We need primarily

1-someone physical who wins the ball in midfield and drives forward

2-clever and fast attacking midfield player 

3-striker with pace and strength

Of secondary importance 

1-age 30+ experienced defender

2-winger with sheer pace to stretch defences

We need to be honest but we also need to be honest about one off cup games importance.

If cup games were the be all and end all then hibs would be the second best team in the country by the amount of spl teams they have beat( Aberdeen included).We would be  even better because we have beaten them twice including a 6.2 pumping.

But the best team in the country would be morton as they knocked out the last seasons champions celtic.

I think that most of are being quite honest.

We're the best in the Championship, definitely better than Hibs, who have beaten Hearts and top-placed Aberdeen. We're better than last year when we still beat three top tier teams under McCoist. We did lose badly in the playoffs to Motherwell but that was partly down to fitness hangovers from McCoist/McDowell and deflections, as even Tam Cowan admits. 

This year St Johnstone were good on the break and nullified us more easily. Killie did the same but without threatening.

We need to put more dangerous balls across the six yard line and attack that area more aggressively. Miller's been the best at getting goals from a variety of driven balls The top tier have fitter defenders who can get into position more easily especially if they're confident we're not gonna whip a cross in. Basically, we pass it too much and get fewer shots on goal against the better teams.

8 hours ago, K.A.I said:

Loads have stated otherwise mate

Yes and the bookies make a living out of them, doesn't mean the majority are under any such illusion. We're doing fantastically well compared to a year ago. We've a long way to go, but not as far as some would make you believe.

how much a player costs is irrelevant, it's how long their contract has to run which is the important factor.

11 minutes ago, Big Al II said:

Yes and the bookies make a living out of them, doesn't mean the majority are under any such illusion. We're doing fantastically well compared to a year ago. We've a long way to go, but not as far as some would make you believe.

how much a player costs is irrelevant, it's how long their contract has to run which is the important factor.

wouldn't say a players cost is irrelevant - I mean we wanted the guy from Brentford and couldn't agree the fee.

We were, by far, the better team. I'll settle for that bearing in mind that the priority is to win the league. Everyone knows we need to add players of a superior quality next season, if we are going to compete for the league title, but we are building the basis of something that could become something special under Mark Warburton.

3 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

I agree with you re the physicality. I thought today we didn't really match that . I guess that's a price you pay when you have smaller , faster , more skilfull players . I really don't have an answer to that , other than we maybe need a better balance of strength against skill , particularly for the spfl.