Zelalem

DavieMacRFC

Just wondering if there is a clause in his loan agreement that means if fit he has to start, Holt would have been the better option. 

Week after week we are witnessing underhit or misguided passes from him and he hasn't really been great since his first couple of games when he was linking up with Oduwa, he can turn a player and definitely has something in his locker but been a bit untidy in recent weeks.

Would like to see him on the bench for the next game.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's 18 and the fans getting on his back is affecting him, could see it a mile a way. the gaffer needs to take him out the firing line for a game or two. Then tell him to keep it simple, pass and move. Don't try to carry the ball and loss it like he did a few times today.

The situation kind of reminds me of Edu in his last couple of seasons with us. Crowd on his back because of some bad performances and that fucked up his confidence. Vicious circle.

5 minutes ago, dande101 said:

Just wondering if there is a clause in his loan agreement that means if fit he has to start, Holt would have been the better option. 

Week after week we are witnessing underhit or misguided passes from him and he hasn't really been great since his first couple of games when he was linking up with Oduwa, he can turn a player and definitely has something in his locker but been a bit untidy in recent weeks.

Would like to see him on the bench for the next game.

That would make perfect sense with him making appearances off the bench in recent weeks when fully fit.

Jesus wept. 

Law/Holt is a better, more dynamic combo. The wee man flatters to deceive. For an Arsenal midfielder some of his passing is wank and when he is running forward i always think he looks as if he would rather be going backwards or sideways.

I dunno, the jury is out with me on Zalelam but I dont think he is going to cut it.

5 minutes ago, AllyMcCoist said:

Personally I think warburton is keen to see him progress so that other clubs see Rangers as an attractive place to send their players on loan

Exactly. If we bring a boy on loan and never play him what happens next time we look to get a player from that club? 

He should be given a full weeks shooting practice from outside the box. If he doesn't score once, he should be sent back to Arsenal. I really don't get why he doesn't shoot when the chance is there. The mind boggles. I get the whole passing philosophy the manager is implementing, but he should be encouraging players to have a go if the opportunity arises. I get the impression that if Zelalem broke through and was one on one with the keeper, he would stop outside the box and wait for someone to pass to.

13 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Exactly. If we bring a boy on loan and never play him what happens next time we look to get a player from that club? 

Why would we want to get a player unless he has an immediate impact on the team?  That's the only loans needs we need.  We may be in the Scottish Championship but we shouldn't be anybody's nursery club.  

This whole shooting from outside the box criticism he seems to get baffles me. Halliday seems to be a better striker of the ball from range than Zelalem and yet his conversion rate is pretty low. Do people just assume you can bury shots in the top corner from outside the box no bother?

When defending with men behind the ball teams are content to let players shoot from 20-25 yards+, because it actually isn't easy to score from range.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the kid. 

The absolute roasters in the crowd who get on his back with a loose ball etc need a stark reality check. Hes 18. Hes here to learn and today he showed hes actually learning to get stuck into the opposition, a few times he won the ball back with relative ease for his figure. His confidence is spiralling downwards because we can't accept a player is developing. 

Overreaction to him is way over the top.

Just now, Briton said:

Not everybody scores goals, some very good midfielders hardly ever get on the score sheet.  

I agree, but there seems to be this expectation that if he gets a yard or two of space outside the box he should bury it. It's nonsense.

If Zelalem started shooting on sight outside the box: A) The fans would go mental and B) The manager would drop him.

Very consistent player, he passes it left, he passes it right, he passes it left,he passes it back, he passes it right, he passes it........

Keep waiting for him to explode with a cutting run into the box or having a shot at goal.

Think this could start happening later in the season when our front line has settled down and are scoring regularly and can then work on pulling out defenders to the wings, leaving Zelalem the space to move forward or shoot.  

However,  I still think he is playing in the position Law is natural first choice for.. 

8 minutes ago, McKissock said:

This whole shooting from outside the box criticism he seems to get baffles me. Halliday seems to be a better striker of the ball from range than Zelalem and yet his conversion rate is pretty low. Do people just assume you can bury shots in the top corner from outside the box no bother?

Law was superb at this until the latter stages of last season when pushing forward from midfield.