• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lee McCulloch stunned after Rangers fans salute him on Ibrox return

lee-mcculloch-stunned-after-rangers-fans

Kilmarnock's stand-in boss Lee McCulloch admits the positive reception given to him by Rangers fans before their goalless William Hill Scottish Cup fifth-round draw at Ibrox left him struggling for the appropriate reaction.

The 37-year-old played for the Light Blues between 2007-2015, enjoying plenty of success but ending his time with the disastrous play-off defeat by Motherwell last season which kept the Govan club in the Championship.

Taking charge of Killie for the first time since Gary Locke resigned last week following the home defeat to Hamilton, the Rugby Park player/coach came out of the tunnel to see a two-part banner being unfurled by Gers fans which read: 'Thanks for the memories: Super Lee McCulloch' while they chanted his name.

"That was brilliant, a great touch," said McCulloch.

"I didn't know whether to wave, clap, or try to ignore it. I think I clapped, I can't remember. It all happened so fast.

"I have enjoyed this week and today.

"There were some nerves this morning and I am delighted with the reception I got and delighted with the way the team bounced back from a disappointing result last week."

Killie, who sit second bottom of the Scottish Premiership, put in a disciplined performance albeit second-half substitute Kallum Higginbotham was shown a straight red card in the final minute for a foul on Gers right-back James Tavernier.

McCulloch, who, despite the encouraging performance and result, claimed the experience had not inspired him to put his hat into the ring for the post, said: "At the time I didn't think it was a red card, I haven't seen it back so to be brutally honest I can't comment too much on it."

8 minutes ago, murzo said:

Before 2012 was he not a bit of a whipping boy/shite that fans never wanted in the team? 

Im not decrying the fact he stayed but the fact he was seen as not being any good.

A lot of players come in and are not very good, but like whisky they mature and get better. Jig was a good player, if he wasn't he wouldn't have been at the club.

5 minutes ago, Sasa'onlyPLGsuccess'Papac said:

Embarrassing. Only stayed with us cos knew he'd never get same wages or training facilities as good as anything we were offering. Never a hero

I know what's embarrassing and it's not this thread.

always the same stupid fucking comments, we crucify those who left, rightly so IMO, however now we crucify those for staying too. Sure wasn't long ago we were hanging Wallace out to dry as well.

6 minutes ago, Sasa'onlyPLGsuccess'Papac said:

Embarrassing. Only stayed with us cos knew he'd never get same wages or training facilities as good as anything we were offering. Never a hero

Embarrassing? 

What nonsense.

I was never his biggest fan, but how is a boyhood fan getting to play for his team and helping them to titles, and the fans acknowledging that embarrassing? 

What our training facilities have to do with anything is fucking beyond me. 

3 minutes ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

A lot of players come in and are not very good, but like whisky they mature and get better. Jig was a good player, if he wasn't he wouldn't have been at the club.

I tend to think that the fact he stayed has misted people's opinion of his playing ability but each to their own , would never have him in my all time Rangers 11 but he wore the jersey and gave his all.

2 minutes ago, murzo said:

I tend to think that the fact he stayed has misted people's opinion of his playing ability but each to their own , would never have him in my all time Rangers 11 but he wore the jersey and gave his all.

(tu) A good player not a great player and played for the jersey.

7 minutes ago, ben51 said:

Embarrassing? 

What nonsense.

I was never his biggest fan, but how is a boyhood fan getting to play for his team and helping them to titles, and the fans acknowledging that embarrassing? 

What our training facilities have to do with anything is fucking beyond me. 

It's fairly obvious! Would you like to pick up a decent wage and train at Murray park with excellent facilities or half your wages and train at a public park. 

Just now, Sasa'onlyPLGsuccess'Papac said:

It's fairly obvious! Would you like to pick up a decent wage and train at Murray park with excellent facilities or half your wages and train at a public park. 

Obviously I would prefer to go to Auchenhowie, just like any other Rangers fan.

Just now, Sasa'onlyPLGsuccess'Papac said:

Exactly then! Only stayed cos no other offers. Terrible player no hero

Exactly then?! :lol::lol:

Who the fuck is saying he's a hero? Please quote me saying that he's a hero. Or anyone in this thread. I bet you can't.

Touch of class by the support today. Big Lee was a good servant to the club. Although his best days deserted him a while back he was still picked every week by the manager who seemed to shoehorn him into the side be it defence, midfield or forward position.

What player would refuse to play if picked?

And as for the ridiculous issue of blaming him for the wages he was on, what player when offered £x amount is going to question if the club can afford it. That was up to those offering the contract.

Lee McCulloch thanks for the good memories