Warburton addresses future of Rangers trio, with Ibrox contracts set to expire

LeeWallaceRFC

Mark Warburton says the futures of Nicky Law, Dean Shiels and Nicky Clark are 'big decisions' for Rangers.

Rangers boss Mark Warburton has told The Scottish Sun that he hopes to have an arrangement soon over the futures of Nicky Law, Dean Shiels and Nicky Clark.

The Gers manager saw his side draw 0-0 at home to Kilmarnock in the Scottish Cup on Saturday afternoon, but they are top of the Scottish Championship, and are the avourites to win the title and return to the top flight of Scottish football.

Should Rangers get promoted, fans will be expecting some major incomings. Warburton has overseen some big signings already, with the likes of Wes Foderingham, Rob Kiernan, James Tavernier and Martyn Waghorn all playing big roles this season, whilst deadline day signing Michael O'Halloran should also be a massive addition, given his record for St. Johnstone.

Players coming in will be vital, but players going out will also be on the agenda, with three players coming to the end of their contracts at Ibrox, before you even factor in the six-month deals for January signings Maciej Gostomski and Harry Forrester.

Nicky Law, Dean Shiels and Nicky Clark are fringe players under Warburton, and wouldn't get into the Rangers side on a regular basis without injuries - and may look to leave for first-team football in the summer.

Now, manager Warburton has told The Scottish Sun that it's a 'big decision' for Rangers, and hopes to have an arrangement in place soon for all three players, as he knows they all want to play regularly; something Rangers may not be able to offer if they win promotion.

"It’s a balance. Looking at the finances, looking at how the squad is shaping up, where we are next season," said Warburton. "There are many aspects. I am very conscious that we have three guys — Nicky Law, Nicky Clark and Dean Shiels — in that situation. They have been magnificent this season in terms of attitude and work ethic."

"You always want to be fair to players. We’ve brought them in, we have spoken to them, but we have to make sure we make the right decision for everyone’s sake. They want to play football and it’s a big decision for us. We keep them informed and, hopefully, we reach an arrangement sooner rather than later," he added.

Would you keep Law, Shiels and Clark for next season?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, mus said:

Doesn't Bell have another year left?

I though he was a 3 year deal when he signed. I'll try dig out the story and check. Temps was def a 4 year when he signed.

EDIT: It is a 4 year deal Bell signed. Makes signing Gostomski even odder. 3 senior keepers plus Kelly and Robby McRorie. 

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Aye just seen that, thought it was a 3. Baffled why we signed Gostomski now tbh. 

I would imagine we wil be looking to punt Bell or send him out on loan. However, his wages will be a massive stumbling block for either scenario I would imagine. You never know maybe he would be happy to move on just to get regular football again.

2 minutes ago, TBagalag said:

I would imagine we wil be looking to punt Bell or send him out on loan. However, his wages will be a massive stumbling block for either scenario I would imagine. You never know maybe he would be happy to move on just to get regular football again.

He'll not be doing it before the summer though, unless he goes to a non Premiership side on loan.

7 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

I think it's more down to Bell's injury and Mark not being fully confident he would stay fit for the rest of the season.

In regards to these three, I'd only keep Law as a squad player on reduced wages. I would hope to also get rid of Bell and Templeton this summer.

If he gets injured recall Liam Kelly, promote Robby McRorie or bring someone in in a short term loan. 

Three senior keepers was a hang able offence 18 months ago.

Law is a useful player, when he's confident he can be a decent squad player. Big difference when he's playing instead of Zelalem. Bell, temps, Clark and shields are simply not good enough. That's 4 plus Zelalem that we will defo replace in the summer. I'd like to think Ball might be a summer signing. 

23 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

I think it's more down to Bell's injury and Mark not being fully confident he would stay fit for the rest of the season.

In regards to these three, I'd only keep Law as a squad player on reduced wages. I would hope to also get rid of Bell and Templeton this summer.

Bells fine now was in goals getting shots fired against him before the game at Raith Rovers and Kilmarnock looks in good shape.