Rangers midfielder Dean Shiels says that discussions over a new deal have begun.

Marky.

Rangers attacking midfielder Dean Shiels has told The Scottish Sun that discussions over a new contract have begun.

Shiels has been on the books of Rangers since 2012 and has a contract until June 2016.

The 31-year-old Northern Ireland international has revealed that talks over a new deal have started.

However, Shiels has made it clear that his main priority at the moment is to help Rangers win the Scottish Championship title and gain automatic promotion to the Scottish Premiership at the end of the season.

“There have been discussions but there’s no rush,” the former Hibernian attacking midfielder told The Scottish Sun. “There are a lot of games and other things happening so that can wait.

“Obviously, I want to get the league won this year and right now that’s all I’m focused on personally. I’m very relaxed about things at the minute so I’ll just take it as it comes.”

Rangers are at the top of the Scottish Championship table at the moment with 59 points from 23 matches. Mark Warburton’s side are eight points clear of second-placed Hibernian, who have a game in hand.

The Gers will return to action on Saturday afternoon when they take on Alloa Athletic away from home at the The Indodrill Stadium in the Scottish Championship.

Rangers will head into the game on the back of a goalless draw with Kilmarnock at Ibrox in Glasgow in the fifth round of the Scottish Cup.

Must admit, this does surprise me. I think Law and Shiels are certainly players required just now for first team action perhaps for Law and depth from Shiels, but I'd not have expected either of them to be at the club for next season, as much as I'd have given Nicky Law a contract. Out of the two, I couldn't see Shiels staying.

What are your thoughts?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Straight-Edge-Loyal said:

Does anyone know what he actually earns,?

I have no idea, but will pluck a figure out of thin air and anyone who doesn't like him can use it as a stick to beat him with as has done before on here. So, £20,000 a week according to the voices in my head.

I like Dean and he does a good job as an impact sub. Doesn't play as well when he starts right enough. Still good player all the same. 

Think he does still have a place in the team, albeit as an impact sub and not as a starter. 

The energy that he injects to our side after being brought on in 60+ minutes when the opposition is starting to get worn down is actually really good. He is a good asset to have, I'd say he warrants a 2 year deal at most but in the mean time definitely look for different midfielders because their doing a iffy job as it is.

We need work there for sure, Holt is good, Halliday is alright but he's out of position there, Law is hit or miss, Shiels is an impact sub and Ball is leaving this season(I think). and due to the way we play we do need a strong midfield. 

Will be interesting to see if Law signs a new contract then. Perhaps Shiels is in their because otherwise we'd be light in numbers there with only Holt and Windass. We really need another creative passing CM in the summer though.

Hopefully Shiels is also on reduced wages and then I wouldn't be opposed. I think he could be considering his age and the fact that him and his agent know he wouldn't go more or the same elsewhere.

12 minutes ago, TonyRice1872 said:

Shiels > most other SPFL midfielders | if he was at Killie, County, etc he would be the star of their team

We don't want the star of County/Killie...

We want someone too good for teams like that.

1 minute ago, Marky. said:

We don't want the star of County/Killie...

We want someone too good for teams like that.

Shiels is a quality impact sub option that no-one else would want to be mate, if you bring in a younger, more quality no 10 they will want to start every game instead of the bench

Sensible approach to see what he'd be looking for and whether MW believes that is the best "value" he can get for that money. It's discussions,  he's not saying there's a contract offer there.

I can imagine MH not wanting another complete overhaul this summer and maybe wanting Shiels and Law to be here another year.

I'd let him go but can get why there's discussions being had to keep him.