Rangers midfielder Dean Shiels says that discussions over a new deal have begun.

Marky.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't disagree with most comments on here. But his old man was quoted a few weeks back saying how Rangers have held him back and 'cost him caps'. So why not move on?

There's been occasions where he has come on and looked great, then got a start next game and has done very little. I really can't see him ever being a consistent starter,  especially when we sign '5 or 6 players'  in the summer. 

1 minute ago, Heshootshescores said:

Can't disagree with most comments on here. But his old man was quoted a few weeks back saying how Rangers have held him back and 'cost him caps'. So why not move on?

There's been occasions where he has come on and looked great, then got a start next game and has done very little. I really can't see him ever being a consistent starter,  especially when we sign '5 or 6 players'  in the summer.

From what I recall it was more McCoist than Rangers being made out to be the problem. Was Dean not one of the first to say that things were much better under Warburton?

1 hour ago, Marky. said:

Must admit, this does surprise me. I think Law and Shiels are certainly players required just now for first team action perhaps for Law and depth from Shiels, but I'd not have expected either of them to be at the club for next season, as much as I'd have given Nicky Law a contract. Out of the two, I couldn't see Shiels staying.

What are your thoughts?

Bang on...

12 minutes ago, Young Bob said:

From what I recall it was more McCoist than Rangers being made out to be the problem. Was Dean not one of the first to say that things were much better under Warburton?

You could be right.  On his day he's definitely a good player,  if MW thinks he's worth a new deal then it's good enough for me. 

2 hours ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

I have no idea, but will pluck a figure out of thin air and anyone who doesn't like him can use it as a stick to beat him with as has done before on here. So, £20,000 a week according to the voices in my head.

I like Dean and he does a good job as an impact sub. Doesn't play as well when he starts right enough. Still good player all the same. 

He needs to be brought in line with all the other newbies!!

So a wage increase then .....

:pipe:

Shiels and Miller shouldn't be at the club next year.  

I also believe  guys like Shiels will be high earners.  Guys like him, Temps, Sandaza were given four year contracts with the amount earned going up each year.  Shiels and Temps are on the 4th year of their deals and are probably some of our highest earners.  They didn't come here as standouts in the SPL to earn buttons.

I'm surprised.

But ...

If he's happy taking a reduced wage and being a bit-part player then I'm not totally against it. He's a luxury as a 7/8k per week player the moment so as I said bit-part player on reduced wages I could reluctantly accept.

He sometimes looks good against teams in these lower leagues but against half the teams in the top flight he'll be lost. That's my worry.

4 minutes ago, Smile said:

Not against this as we see now we are not going to get the investment to get in better than him, so seems sensible to offer him a deal.

We're not going to get investment to bring in better than someone that in 3/4 years has been largely a bit part player? 

There was me thinking we'd already brought in a number of players who are better than him for much less. Unless you think he's better than Holt, Halliday and Crooks.

I think what's telling too (in regards to a more resonable contract for Shiels price wise) was that Warburton specifically mentioned value/budget when talking about it. That tells me he has one eye on the budget and won't be giving Shiels the reported 7/8k a week if he wants an extension.

1 minute ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Go after Kenny McLean and give him Dean's wage.  We can get another CM who is almost 10 years younger and has more ability.

Aberdeen would (rightly) want over a million for him. We had our chance to get him, a good Prod, cheap - likewise with James Mcarthur - 200k a piece and went down different routes.

For the money we'd have to spend on McLean - we'd get much better value spending that money in England.