About our midfield

RFCRobertson

I'd say that's the area in which the squad needs most work done to it. Due to the tactics that we play, we do need a strong midfield in order to apply pressure and retain ball possession as well as being able to offer defensive support to the center backs. In the summer we'll really need to beef up our midfield, because we saw the effect of Holt being off the pitch and what Holt brings to the game.

What's everyone elses feelings on it? Think we do need to beef it up? We've only got about 7 or 8 right now.

9 minutes ago, born a blue nose said:

Crooks should strengthen us straight away, I think we need quite a bit of tweaking all over the park, maybe only 1 for defence actually but 4/5 beyond there, agreed though this is our biggest 'weakness'.

Yeah, I think we need another Center back. Balls loan is up this season so we'll need imo another 2. Just so rotations can be made, Kiernan will likely be a constant in most games though. 1 new center back to replace Ball and another to provide cover. 

3 minutes ago, RFCRobertson said:

Yeah, I think we need another Center back. Balls loan is up this season so we'll need imo another 2. Just so rotations can be made, Kiernan will likely be a constant in most games though. 1 new center back to replace Ball and another to provide cover. 

We've not really rotated the centre backs up to now, don't see why we'd start doing it next season. When Ball has came in it's been due to injury or Wilson having had his first kid.

2 minutes ago, RFCRobertson said:

Crooks can play CB and in midfield. The 'cover' should come from Auchenhowie IMO. 

7 minutes ago, bennyali said:

The cover is Gasparotto.

What we need is an attacking triumvirate. All the great teams have them. Three attacking players who are swift and can create and put away chances like champions. 

Read on the website he has done his ankle ligaments out for 4-10 weeks.

3 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

We are fine for where we are but it needs to be addressed in the Summer. MW obviously feels it's an issue too or he wouldn't have tried to sign Diagouraga.

Yeah that's mainly what I meaning 

I think summer will see mainly Midfielders and Back line. The front seems pretty good, O'halloran, Waghorn, McKay. Maybe just 1 more. 

25 minutes ago, RFCRobertson said:

Yeah that's mainly what I meaning 

I think summer will see mainly Midfielders and Back line. The front seems pretty good, O'halloran, Waghorn, McKay. Maybe just 1 more. 

Without wanting to turn this into another debate about the pros and cons of spending money I actually think think we would be a far better team if we invested in a top quality striker too.

I also hope we sign omebody who can take some of the pressure to create off of Holt too alongside a designated holding playing.

4 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Without wanting to turn this into a nother debate about the pros and cons of spending money I actually think think we would be a far better team if we invested in a top quality striker too.

I also hope we sign omebody who can take some of the pressure to create off of Holt too alongside a designated holding playing.

Yeah, because at the weekend we saw that despite Waghorn being in the best position he missed a opportunity to pull the team forward. Is Waghorn responsible for all goals? Of course not, but as our main striker right now he is expected to be able to "pull the trigger" and score goals like that. 

So another Striker that can take the pressure of Waghorn and also improve our goal scoring would be great to have. 

I think we need another player like Holt who can drive it forward through the middle. 

Waghorn spent most most of his time picking up the ball about 30-40 yards from the goal at the weekend as the midfield kept the ball well but created nothing. 

We dominate every game. When we rediscover the sharpness in front of goal we won't care about the midfield because we'll take more of our chances. We could easily have scored 3 or 4 against Killie but just had poor finishing. We'll be much stronger next season. But I tend to be overly optimistic.

37 minutes ago, Prso is King said:

Just the past 3 games where he has still contributed to the team in some way. Don't overreact.

Exactly. We've scored 2 goals in those games. Another quality forward in the team would have helped. 

21 hours ago, AlBear85 said:

Crooks can play CB and in midfield. The 'cover' should come from Auchenhowie IMO. 

Agree with this. We should really only be signing people that will improve and go straight into the team. 

Crooks will immediately strengthen our midfield and while Windass is really highly rated i'm not yet clear of his best position or where he would play for us. With O'Halloran who can play forward or attacking midfield too these are good headaches for Warburton to have. I'm sure we will sign more in the Summer. There is also the possibility of Sheils/Law having contract extensions. I wouldn't expect them to be regular starters but both have top league experience and are useful squad players. Losing them wouldn't be disastrous though, but would leave us light over a long season. 

We have to use Auchenhowie as cover, as this is the only way our youth systems will have credibility. We will not attract the top youth to Rangers if there is not a route to the first team.