***** The Official Alloa Athletic V Rangers Match Thread *****

allgers

4 minutes ago, The Tavernator said:

We usually put a lot of our chances away, hence the huge goal difference and league position. People just expect a win every single game. No club in the world is that good.

Even Barca have only won 17 out of 22 league games, and they've got $100 trillion worth of players.

If you can't beat Alloa, with our resources then there is a valid reason to be critical. I am still perplexed as to why we never tightened up the defence in January instead of fannying around with O'Hallaron. I am a bit concerned about Warburton, and for me the lustre is worn off. Shocking result.

5 minutes ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

If you can't beat Alloa, with our resources then there is a valid reason to be critical. I am still perplexed as to why we never tightened up the defence in January instead of fannying around with O'Hallaron. I am a bit concerned about Warburton, and for me the lustre is worn off. Shocking result.

You need to calm down a little bit.  We dropped 2 points and it's the end of the world?  No,  alloa played to their strengths and we would have scored a number of goals if their keeper wasn't on form.  

Perhaps we didn't bring any defenders because there wasn't any suitable?  Warburton has done everything he's been asked to,  and then some.  It's games like today that make Champions. 

3 minutes ago, Misteral said:

It was a game of attackers v defenders as per usual and on another day, well we all know the story

Annoying but we'll still win the league

The thing is, we keep saying 'when everything clicks we are going to take 10 off someone' etc but the more I see us squander chances the more I think it will never happen. We are toothless in front of goal!

23 minutes ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

Tightened up the defence?

We've conceded 3 goals in 8 matches this year ffs.

Its the finishing that has let us down in the past 2 games. Even the games before that when the winning margin should of been far higher. 

25 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

MOH was one of the positives from today.  He can only strengthen at the back if players are available.  

For me the biggest problem was the training ground tempo till be went one behind. I'd like to see more urgency for 90 minutes.

Second half he was fantastic.not just quick but powerful 

3 minutes ago, kaiser1041 said:

Second half he was fantastic.not just quick but powerful 

He looks a real athlete, can't think of many others in the SPFL outside us who take care of themselves as well as him. 

Second half he was really exciting, showed us what he is capable of and I actually think small pitches don't suit his game at all. Capable of far more on big wide pitches. 

Jeez, on another this with a little bit of luck that. 

The plain truth is we failed today. no this and that pish. 

Nothing to do with narrow pitches and packed defences, if we had took our chances this game would be gone with a record score, so spare me if and buts today we failed end of. 

12 hours ago, FlippinEck said:

Should have brought Oduwa on...

7 hours ago, allgers said:

How Warburton never thought of that, I don't know...

Warburton is an absolute muppet and should be sacked for not thinking about this... 

I might have thought we had taken the eye of the ball with the Killie game on Tuesday but that patently wasn't the case cause we were all over them, their goalkeeper had a good game and really commanded his penalty box but it was none stop pressure from us. Is it possible we are creating too many chances, they are coming thick and fast, miss one and another will be along in a minute.

The surprising thing about reading these posts is the fact that there goalkeeper had the audacity to play well.

Everyone knew that the journey up the Leagues would be fraught every away game the proverbial Cup Final.

Its actually against the teams that've had a go, we've had the better results.

Jimmy Nichol stated yesterday that they wanted to walk the Ba intae the net, nae guile from midfield apart from the Holt chance.

Their manager stated they'd brought the pitch in previously only to help them defend, certainly worked yesterday.

It's not a disaster, could've been worse with other results, but certainly food for thought.

No aerial threat going forward isn't a killer but it certainly limits what can be created, you want every avenue of attack available to you.

19 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Jeez, on another this with a little bit of luck that. 

The plain truth is we failed today. no this and that pish. 

Nothing to do with narrow pitches and packed defences, if we had took our chances this game would be gone with a record score, so spare me if and buts today we failed end of. 

We didn't fail.  What we did do was come up against a team that was set up to defend and counter.

We had ample chances to score more goals but their keeper was outstanding yesterday.  Should we have been more clinical?  Absolutely,  did the narrower pitch cause us any undue issues?  I don't think so.  

As it stands we have the best goal difference in the UK.   I don't think we have very much to worry about.