remember when

You used to get excited as fuck waiting for the new kit to be unvailed, its wasnt like now where you have social media and budding designers like RFC52 doing mock ups weeks or even months before the are revealed to the public. Most of my first glimpses of a new strip would usually of been in the paper.

There was a boy I went to school with who always seemed to have the new top a good few days before they went on sale, fuck knows how he managed that. Think his dad was the manager of a sports shop or somthing.

Correct me if im wrong but did we not used to wear the new strip for the last couple of games of the season?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎13‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 4:31 PM, Perth_Campsie_Ger said:

You used to get excited as fuck waiting for the new kit to be unvailed, its wasnt like now where you have social media and budding designers like RFC52 doing mock ups weeks or even months before the are revealed to the public. Most of my first glimpses of a new strip would usually of been in the paper.

There was a boy I went to school with who always seemed to have the new top a good few days before they went on sale, fuck knows how he managed that. Think his dad was the manager of a sports shop or somthing.

Correct me if im wrong but did we not used to wear the new strip for the last couple of games of the season?

weirdly, i got the 98 strip in Tenerife before it was released here. Maybe that was common for other years.

Just now, GrandSuckMaster said:

weirdly, i got the 98 strip in Tenerife before it was released here. Maybe that was common for other years.

A guy I used to work with came back from thailand one year with a rangers top he claimed was gona be the new top, it wasn't but it was actually nicer than the top we had that season. Cant remember what year it was

1 hour ago, Perth_Campsie_Ger said:

A guy I used to work with came back from thailand one year with a rangers top he claimed was gona be the new top, it wasn't but it was actually nicer than the top we had that season. Cant remember what year it was

That was probably around the 1991 or 1995 seasons, because I was in Bangkok around that time and my wife spotted  Rangers tops along Silom Road that were cheap as fuck, but I told the little cunt selling them to stick them up his arse as there was no way they were Rangers shirts. From recollection they looked pretty snazzy.

Back in the 90's beforedigital I worked at a photo lab in Glasgow where the sky park isand the 35mm film would come in to get processed with the new kits of us and them but somehow always got leaked for a few bob. I was only a store-man so got to empty the bins and I have some great pictures on old photo paper as they do a few runs to get the picture perfect. Ally heading past john Hughes is one of my favourites.

1 minute ago, ex-guardsman said:

Back in the 90's beforedigital I worked at a photo lab in Glasgow where the sky park isand the 35mm film would come in to get processed with the new kits of us and them but somehow always got leaked for a few bob. I was only a store-man so got to empty the bins and I have some great pictures on old photo paper as they do a few runs to get the picture perfect. Ally heading past john Hughes is one of my favourites.

Get them posted then. I'd offer help with film conversion but you're already in the business so I would assume don't need it.

1 hour ago, murzo said:

Was also due to the fact that the strip wasn't changed every season, made it more of a novelty

Good memories, I remember back in the 60's when we changed from the old white V neck collar to the round all blue top with the then new RFC badge on the left side of the chest, I couldn't wait for Christmas to get my new strip with the new top, running down to the pitch with all my mates in their new strips as well, for a game that seemed to last all day, I thought I was the bee's knee's as it looked and felt so good.

I was easy pleased back then, still am I suppose.

59 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

Get them posted then. I'd offer help with film conversion but you're already in the business so I would assume don't need it.

No i was only 17 mate and I was a storeman with them for a year in 94-95 but we used to get all the training pics in. My memory is shot to fuck especially on the rum but it was just up from police station where the sky park is and we used to do photo shoots for whiskey out the back as well. 

All the photos are in a box in my mums loft but will go up and dig them out if your in the photo business you can probs clean them up as they were dug out the bin from imperfect runs they would do as they had to be used for the papers then so had to have no blotches from ink.

13 minutes ago, AlbertzLoyalRSC said:

When was this with the strips? I always loved getting the new strip, but It was never for christmas.

I was a kid /teenager In the 90's. And I think the new strips came out at the end of the season (or just before) as has been said?

Back in the day most families where I lived were really working class and that meant there wasn't much money to spare, my ma' had to literally save pennies in order to give us something special at Christmas, and that's where the new strip came in, when I was old enough to appreciate the sacrifices her and my da' made in order to make me and my siblings happy it really made me feel humble, I wasn't the only one by any means, but God bless them.

Being a child of the 90's like yourself times had moved on and there was more disposable income for the "working classes" so I can understand why you feel the need to question why kids of the 60's may not have got things so easily, I'm not knocking it, it was just the way it was, and like I say it gave me an appreciation of what I could afford to give to my kids.

29 minutes ago, slimjim1690 said:

Back in the day most families where I lived were realllifen working class and that meant there wasn't much money tosensible, my ma' had to literally save pennies in order to give us something special at Christmas, and that's where the new strip came in, when I was old enough to appreciate the sacrifices her and my da' made in order to make me and my siblings happy it really made me feel humble, I wasn't the only one by any means, but God bless them.

Being a child of the 90's like yourself times had moved on and there was more disposable income for the "working classes" so I can understand why you feel the need to question why kids of the 60's may not have got things so easily, I'm not knocking it, it was just the way it was, and like I say it gave me an appreciation of what I could afford to give to my kids.

I wont say I know how It was for you mate. But I have to say I was no spoiled kid. My old man was probably the same age as you and was striking at the steelworks when I was a kid. I was lucky to have both sensible parents (no new shirts then). They tought me the what money was worth. And done well In slightly later life (dad died at 56 last year)

12 minutes ago, AlbertzLoyalRSC said:

I wont say I know how It was for you mate. But I have to say I was no spoiled kid. My old man was probably the same age as you and was striking at the steelworks when I was a kid. I was lucky to have both sensible parents (no new shirts then). They tought me the what money was worth. And done well In slightly later life (dad died at 56 last year)

Sounds like you had sound parents as well mate who have given you good values to set you in good stead, I used to work on the shut downs in Ravenscraig mid to late 80's and it was criminal what happened to the steelworks (ravenscraig was producing the finest steel in the world back then), sorry to hear about your dad 56 is far to young, I didn't mean to imply that you were spoiled, like I said it was just the way it was back then.

21 minutes ago, slimjim1690 said:

isAs

21 minutes ago, slimjim1690 said:

Quotes fucked.

Yeah mate he worked at Clydesdale.

And believe me he taught me the value of money! Much as I hated IT at the time , he Did a good job!

Because althouth this post IS fucked up with capitals....Thats the sites fault.....

Im doing ok and making sure my maw IS as well.

All the best mate.

It used to be every other season didnt it? Home top for 2 seasons and away top for 2 seasons? Or am i imaging this?

I remember getting Reyna and McCoist and Tugay on the back of my tops, youd come back from the game with the new kit pure full off yerself swaggering down the street like aye ftp ya cunts!

Youd almost believe for a second that you were Ally Mccoist or Lorenzo Amoruso or Fernando Ricksen when youd wear your top playing football with your pals

It used to be a scramble to see whos mum would buy them the new top first.

That's why im against this whole merch boycott, i want weans playing in the park pretending to be James Tavernier and Andy Halliday, weve went 3 years without any players to inspire us and now that we have them we should embrace it and have our weans idolising them like we did when we were kids and getting your Rangers top for the summer was a big part of that as a kid remeber that

1 hour ago, Smile said:

I remember when you used to be able to buy the whole strip they came in a box, was very classy.

I can remember getting the full kit in a box too. I'm sure it was Umbro that made them. 

The box had a lid you lifted to reveal a cellophane panel showing the shirt and the crest. Good times!

I found all my old tops in a suitcase at my mums house recently, some of them were too worn to wear but theres a good few that will be good for my Daughter in the coming years, shes been wearing the one from  9IAR season with the collar. Weve had some cracking tops over the years.

Whats folks opinion on this years top i actually think its smart as fuck