remember when

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Corky True Legend said:

When I got my first strip, I wore it until I grew out of it; It was still the current 1st team strip. No names or numbers on the back either. My mother made up a No 5 and sewed it on for me.

Yeah me too. 

My first one was the plain Royal Blue about 70/71 and got my aunt to embroider the crest so it wouldn't wash out ! (still my favourite shade of blue Rangers top ) . Think that lasted about 10 years iirc. Not on me btw , but the team :D 

29 minutes ago, gmcf said:

Yeah me too. 

My first one was the plain Royal Blue about 70/71 and got my aunt to embroider the crest so it wouldn't wash out ! (still my favourite shade of blue Rangers top ) . Think that lasted about 10 years iirc. Not on me btw , but the team :D 

Mine was the royal blue with white "v" neck and trim on the sleeves. Plain white shorts & red & black socks. Can't be sure but I think it was Umbro.

15 hours ago, GrandSuckMaster said:

weirdly, i got the 98 strip in Tenerife before it was released here. Maybe that was common for other years.

To be fair, only you and those close to you would know that. 

The rest of us haven't a clue where you got your other strips.

4 hours ago, Smile said:

I remember when you used to be able to buy the whole strip they came in a box, was very classy.

Best birthday present ever was the full red away kit in a box. Bright red, with the huge red white & blue collar typical of the 70's. I was the only one at my primary school with this kit, I was the bee's knees.

Mine was the royal blue with white "v" neck and trim on the sleeves. Plain white shorts & red & black socks. Can't be sure but I think it was Umbro.

I would say yours was the iconic Rangers strip of them all , just proceeding mine.

Though that'll maybe be the perception of a certain vintage of Rangers fan :lol:

1 minute ago, SteveEarle said:

Scotland used to wear them too! I remember the boxed strips in squarer boxes. I got a few for birthday presents. Great times!

just thinking that as well, loved the scotland one as i felt it looked great being a really dark blue and the red and white stood out

23 hours ago, Perth_Campsie_Ger said:

You used to get excited as fuck waiting for the new kit to be unvailed, its wasnt like now where you have social media and budding designers like RFC52 doing mock ups weeks or even months before the are revealed to the public. Most of my first glimpses of a new strip would usually of been in the paper.

There was a boy I went to school with who always seemed to have the new top a good few days before they went on sale, fuck knows how he managed that. Think his dad was the manager of a sports shop or somthing.

Correct me if im wrong but did we not used to wear the new strip for the last couple of games of the season?

Bought my first strip from Camerons Sports in Larkhall,came in a box with the shorts and socks lol,£5.25 ,bought with my tips off the milk run.

ps was the Umbro one with the white collar with the red and blue stripes,1978 or 79.

4 hours ago, Willis said:

Was it a common thing to see folk wearing replica tops back then?

How far back is "back then"? LOL, if you mean us ancients then I can't say I remember folk cutting around the toon with replica tops on, we were lucky if we had a scarf haha!!, if memory serves me right I think that fad may have begun around the 80's maybe.

7 hours ago, bigsy said:

Bought my first strip from Camerons Sports in Larkhall,came in a box with the shorts and socks lol,£5.25 ,bought with my tips off the milk run.

ps was the Umbro one with the white collar with the red and blue stripes,1978 or 79.

Big Camerons sports shop.

Now THAT takes me back. Always got my Gers strips from there as well when I was a kid.

13 hours ago, slimjim1690 said:

How far back is "back then"? LOL, if you mean us ancients then I can't say I remember folk cutting around the toon with replica tops on, we were lucky if we had a scarf haha!!, if memory serves me right I think that fad may have begun around the 80's maybe.

In the 50's/60's only kids wore replica strips. Nae room for a hip flask for the adults. My first scarf was royal blue cotton with narrow red and white diagonal stripes, cut on the diagonal to a point at each end. Later got the matching bunnet.

In the 50's/60's only kids wore replica strips. Nae room for a hip flask for the adults. My first scarf was royal blue cotton with narrow red and blue diagonal stripes, cut on the diagonal to a point at each end. Later got the matching bunnet.

Ha ha!! We could have been twins mate.