Atlantic League back on the cards?

GOAT

FORMER PSV Eindhoven chairman Harry van Raaij has confirmed a consortium of businessmen based in England have approached him as they bid to resurrect the idea.

SHARES

COMMENTS

Enter your e-mail for our daily newsletter
 Subscribe
image: http://i1.<No links to this website>/incoming/article7377314.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/JS77524520.jpg

Celtic vs Ajax could become a regular fixture

THE Dutchman who tried to launch the Atlantic League 16 years ago has revealed secret talks are at an advanced stage to bring the proposal back to life.

Former PSV Eindhoven chairman Harry van Raaij - the mastermind behind the aborted plan to set up a cross border league including Celtic and Rangers - has confirmed a consortium of businessmen based in England have approached him as they bid to resurrect the idea which was booted into touch by UEFA in the summer of 2000.

Sources in Holland claim these closed door discussions have been on going for months and that they are being financially backed by potential sponsors and even a broadcast partner.

The entire project is based upon the blue print which Van Raaij drew up all those years ago along with former Rangers chairman Sir David Murray - a radical cross border shake-up which was backed at the time by Celtic and Anderlecht.

image: http://i3.<No links to this website>/incoming/article1227598.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/Sir%20David%20Murray

Former Rangers owner Sir David MurrayFormer Rangers owner Sir David Murray
And it’s believed to have been resurrected as a direct response to Karl-Heinz Rummenigge’s plot to create a Champions League cartel involving only the richest clubs from across the continent.

And last night Van Raaij said: “I have been sworn to secrecy so at this stage I cannot reveal anything else. But it’s a well constructed plan. Because you have asked me the question I will not lie about that but I cannot go into detail at this stage.”

It’s understood the new proposal would see clubs such as Feyenoord, Ajax and PSV Eindhoven quit their domestic league to compete against European rivals from a range of countries including Scotland, Belgium, Portugal, Greece, Switzerland, Sweden, Norway and Denmark.

Clubs from Germany, France and Italy could also be involved if they are frozen out of Rummenigge’s cartel - which would see the elite clubs from Germany, Spain, France, Italy and England form an invitation only version of the Champions League.

Record Sport revealed yesterday how Celtic’s chief executive Peter Lawwell has already reached out to Ajax among other European clubs in a bid to form a unified front to fight against the Big Five’s proposed revolution.

But it is Van Raaij’s firm belief that these second tier clubs are in fact about to form their very own league.

image: http://i1.<No links to this website>/incoming/article7377315.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/JS77527225.jpg

Scott Allan in action against Ajax
While Van Raaij has confirmed that the talks have reached an advanced stage he has refused to go public with the exact detail of the new proposals.

But he insists it is a modern day reincarnation of the plan he and Murray took to UEFA’s HQ in the summer of 2000.

He said: “At the time I went with the chairman of Rangers, David Murray to UEFA. We had a fantastic project which we called the Atlantic League.

“Rangers wanted to go the same way as I did. But so did Celtic and Anderlecht, they joined us in the process.

“Michael van Praag, the president of Ajax, thought it was a step too far.

“Our group brought the whole plan - including TV contracts etc - to Switzerland. But the whole project was shot out of the sky by UEFA. David and I got no permission to take it any further.

“The world has fundamentally changed since then and it’s sad that all these conservative football organisations have stood still for so many years. UEFA, the national federations, FIFA - they have never thought about what the EU meant for football.

image: http://i4.<No links to this website>/incoming/article1229754.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/6835967.jpg

David MurrayDavid Murray
“Corporate business has gone international. As a football club, if you want to have a bond with your sponsors then you must take it across national borders to bring in major revenue.

“But the only thing that has changed in football is the freedom for payers to move in Europe. Other than that, nothing has been done.”

Now, though, Van Raiij believes the English Premier League’s recently secured £5.14 billion TV deal has triggered a response throughout the rest of Europe.

He said: “The big football nations in Europe - Germany, France, Italy - are panicking about the dominance and power of the English Premier League. England as a football country is now unreachable.

“The rest of the leagues in Europe are never going to get near them again because of their TV contracts. This is the reason why all of a sudden all of the other nations in Europe are now ready to create a European League.”

Read more at http://www.<No links to this website>/sport/football/football-news/atlantic-league-back-table-dutch-7377289#qHW2iLmXABbf0sI4.99

http://www.<No links to this website>/sport/football/football-news/atlantic-league-back-table-dutch-7377289#jwGzGlIO8M2sRoJE.97

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The Atlantic League (whether we are in it or not) sounds like a shit idea. Also making the Champs League a closed shop would be a horrendous mistake also.

I enjoy the change when playing teams in europe whether it's Barcelona or Unirea Uzerceni. To play european teams every week would soon wear thin.

At the time I didn't think this was a good idea, I wanted to try and get into English football.  Facts are this is never going to happen.  Although I don't like the idea of inviting clubs from Greece etc, it should just be the way it was before, it's dead in the water if clubs aren't allowed to compete in the CL though.

1 minute ago, Cobham said:

The Atlantic League (whether we are in it or not) sounds like a shit idea. Also making the Champs League a closed shop would be a horrendous mistake also.

I enjoy the change when playing teams in europe whether it's Barcelona or Unirea Uzerceni. To play european teams every week would soon wear thin.

What's shite about it?  Give me PSV one week, Anderlecht the next, Copenhagen after that over Kilmarnock, Dundee and fucking Thistle any day of the week.

1 minute ago, GOAT said:

What's shite about it?  Give me PSV one week, Anderlecht the next, Copenhagen after that over Kilmarnock, Dundee and fucking Thistle any day of the week.

It's basically going from playing all the shite clubs in Scotland to playing all the shite teams in europe.

Just now, Cobham said:

It's basically going from playing all the shite clubs in Scotland to playing all the shite teams in europe.

If it's like the basic idea from 15 years ago it's giving all the big teams in Europe that play in shite leagues millions more in sponsorship, tv revenue, gates and letting them challenge the big rich clubs in Europe.  So no it's not.  If the idea is to challenge a closed shop CL full of Bayerns, Barcas and Madrids, then aye I agree there, that will never happen though.  If it does, football is dead.

1 minute ago, allgers said:

This could happen, just not in that format. The main problem is UEFA would they sanction anything going up against their cash cow the CL.

It should be a  league tournament to challenge the EPL, La Liga, Bundisliga, Serie A, not to challenge the CL.  Winners of the league, runners up, third etc enter the CL.

If the idea is to run a competition against a potential closed shop European League, no thanks.  If the idea is for the big clubs from lower ranked nations like Scotland, Belgium, the Scandinavian countries, Holland etc to form a league, or maybe even a two tiered league with relegation and promotion back to their local leagues, and maybe a cup competition open to all, and with European qualification to the CL and EL etc, then hell aye sign us up.

The closed shop CL makes sense - it is effectively like the NFL in America - no promotion or relegation, just teams battling it out. What makes that work of course is College football and the draft system. The Americans worked that out back in the 30s.

Not sure our football chiefs have the same foresight the Americans did that the same teams will continue to prosper and win and the competition, and hence the game, will die.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_draft#The_first_draft_.281936.29

Throughout this time, Bert Bell, co-owner of the Philadelphia Eagles, felt his team's lack of competitiveness on the field made it difficult for the Eagles to sell tickets and to be profitable.[3] Compounding the Eagles' problems were players signed with teams that offered the most money,[4] or if the money being equal, players chose to sign with the most prestigious teams at the time,[5] who had established a winning tradition.[6] As a result, the NFL was dominated by the Chicago Bears, Green Bay Packers, Giants, and Redskins.[7][8]Bell's inability to sign a desired prospect, Stan Kostka, in 1935,[4][9][10] eventually led Bell to believe the only way for the NFL to have enduring success was for all teams to have an equal opportunity to sign eligible players.[7][11][12] At a league meeting on May 18, 1935, Bell proposed a draft be instituted to enhance the competitive parity on the field in order to ensure the financial viability of all franchises. His proposal was adopted unanimously that day,[13][14][15][16] although the first draft would not occur until the next off-season.[11][12]

14 minutes ago, GOAT said:

If the idea is to run a competition against a potential closed shop European League, no thanks.  If the idea is for the big clubs from lower ranked nations like Scotland, Belgium, the Scandinavian countries, Holland etc to form a league, or maybe even a two tiered league with relegation and promotion back to their local leagues, and maybe a cup competition open to all, and with European qualification to the CL and EL etc, then hell aye sign us up.

This gets my vote(tu)

Let them make the Champs League closed doors. Everyone just stop paying for it on the TV will mean they have to stop. If they do that then why don't Rangers, Celtic say to other big teams that wouldn't be in it, The West Ham's, PSV's, Napoli, Stuttgart why don't we make our own league? Rather watch Man Utd vs Real Madrid every year or see Rangers play the likes of other huge teams that wouldn't be in the competition?
The gates would be packed every week and sponsorship's would be massive!

Surely an Atlantic League proper would require the participation of North and South American teams. Otherwise it's more a North Sea and possibly English Channel league, which doesn't sound quite so good.

It just wouldn't be practical. 

Fuck it! Let's just have the Universal Championship, where Rangers play Linfield every year to be the very, very bestest team in the whole wide universe.

31 minutes ago, GOAT said:

I agree with this, there would need to be relegation and promotion, initially from national leagues but eventually if enough money from TV and sponsorship there would be several divisions of the Atlantic league. With relegation in and out of the leagues back to national leagues. Our revenues need to increase from somewhere. Getting UEFA to provide CL qualification places wouldn't be easy IMO.

England, Spain and Germany would obviously not participate.

In the end I think these ideas are all a stepping stone to cross border leagues. 

Commercially sponsors know there is potential to be unlocked in clubs like ours. Naturally those at the top want to stay there. So they're trying to come up with stupid ideas. It'll probably take a proposal like the Atlantic league to break the mold and then all sorts of restructuring could take place. 

A group of clubs just need the balls and backing, from a sponsor, to go and do it. 

Let's face it CL is actually pretty boring most of the time. Much like the Epl. 

1 hour ago, Cobham said:

The chumpions league is a farce, watching the top (sorry, richest) teams from England, Spain, Germany, every bloody year, wears thin.  I used to love the European Cup, best team at the time would win it, not always the richest. I would be happy to see an Atlantic League and to hell with the ridiculously rich teams league.

43 minutes ago, GOAT said:

I like the idea also, but would qualification to a closed door CL be available. They say they want closed door for a reason - only a select few clubs get in.

This proposed league would feature a lot of European trophy winners who in reality have been left behind since the champions league changed to the benefit of every man and their dog in the bigger leagues.

The big clubs have became spoilt with the riches they receive but dare I say it that a few noses are out of joint recently as a lot of unfashionable clubs have been making the group stages to their detriment.

Whether the Atlantic league is a serious option or not time has come to shake football up, none of the big clubs care about the Europa league and the champions league is getting far to predictable as in to who can possibly win it.

In 10 years Sky Sports along with FIFA has managed to absolutely destroy football. The CL idea is simply to get the big teams breaking away - no relegation, no promotion into that group. And once its in place, nobody in it will ever vote to change it -until it possibly stagnates and impacts there revenue streams.

Actually an Atlantic league in response, could look like a really dynamic, exciting league if managed and marketed properly - it has the potential to make the CL look stagnant and a bit of a rich boys clique - who really wants to watch Man City versus Chelsea for the gazillionth time? I wouldn't get out my bed to watch them now. Additionally the Atlantic league can sell it own TV rights - so there is also the potential here that more people could watch that league due to the large fan bases that some of these big club/small country clubs have - rather than the CL.