Mark Warburton wants to implement 'incentivised' banker-style bonus scheme at Rangers

LeeWallaceRFC

IT WASN’T the best analogy Mark Warburton has ever come up with in terms of appealing to the Govan masses.

After all, defending bankers and their astronomical bonuses is unlikely to go down too well with punters living on Broomloan or Copland Road.

But the Rangers manager’s point was a valid one when he described the system and strategy he wants to adopt at Ibrox in order to keep his players hungry for success.

Warburton used to be an investment banker himself. So he can be forgiven for making the skewed comparison.

Just like he did at Brentford, he wants to keep his current squad on their toes by offering heavily-incentivised contracts and bonuses.

If Gers get automatic promotion this season, Warburton and his team will be rewarded accordingly. And he’s told them if they excel in the Premiership next season – and get back into Europe – they’ll reap the benefits again.

Last week Barrie McKay signed only a one-year extension to his current contract, despite team-mates Andy Halliday and Jason Holt being tied up until 2020.

But Warburton says McKay’s deal was deliberate. He wants the 20-year-old to stay focused on performing at a high level instead of drifting off the radar like other talented kids in the past.

The Rangers gaffer said: “Shorter deals maintain the hunger of a player. Whenever you sign a player you know they might never be better than they are now.

“This may be the best they are ever going to be or they could be a world beater in a year’s time. So you’ve got to try to make informed judgments.

“The club’s job should be, if the player impresses he never has to knock on the door. You call him in. At Brentford we were calling boys in every six months to improve their terms because they were improving themselves at a high level.

“They gained promotion, we rewarded them. They got top six in the Championship, we rewarded them and so on.

“They knew if they performed well they’d be looked after. It kept them driven. That was far more 
beneficial than someone having a four or five-year contract under their belt and smoking a cigar.

“I want the players here to be hungry. I want them to maintain standards but they’ve also got to know that we’ll reward them.

“At Brentford, we had a great bonus scheme, second to none in the Championship. You incentivise the players and make it performance based.

“The bankers always get criticised. People say it’s not right when they get a seven-figure bonus. But he might just have made $10million for the bank.

“So if you pay him a million the bank is $9m better off. Why would you not give him it. The bonus is only 10 per cent of what he’s made.

“The incentive is there to make you drive and drive. The more you earned for the company, the more you got. Why can’t that be the same in football with points and goal difference?”

Warburton has already relayed his ideas to Ibrox managing director Stewart Robertson about the type of bonus structure he’d like to see implemented.

For instance, he sees no reason why a player in his squad should be on more ‘appearance money’ than any of their team-mates.

He said: “I know of two big investment banks in England who used a flat-rate salary for staff and they made their money via bonuses. You only make good money as such if you deliver a profit.

“That to me is great. If you come into work every day knowing that if you do well you’ll be rewarded, that’s a great culture to have. What’s wrong with it?

“We have good communication with Stewart and Andrew Dickson.

“Our job is to put in ideas which we feel will benefit the football club, without having drastic change. But if you incentivise anyone, they’ll take it.

“It’s important to tell the players this. I’m not a fan of walking into a squad and you see players on different appearance bonuses. How does that work? You and I both play 90 minutes but you get one amount and I only get half. I don’t get that.

“So there are things you can do that help unity and harmony. If someone is getting double for the same performance, that’s not good for the dressing room.

“I’m a fan of players getting the same and that has to be phased in over a period of time because of existing contracts. But if you can get to a stage where there is consistency in key areas you’re in a good place. The players know that as well.

“I understand when people say you have to protect assets with long contracts. But really, how much is that worth? Players sign five-year deals and leave six months later. It’s all about balance.

“Look after the asset, make him feel wanted and incentivise him. Give someone five years and too much money and they’ll lose their appetite.” Hunger is something Warburton has in abundance. But he’s also aware – such is the ruthless nature of management – that to foster the kind of environment he wants takes time.

He said: “I’d like to get to the very top in football but you only get there by delivering. I’ve got to deliver very clear targets here.

“But it takes time. You have to put foundations in place and build from there, as opposed to a short-term fix.

“What’s the average time you get as a manager? Eight months? It’s ludicrous. If the owners and board can see a bigger picture and you can deliver, you’ll get your rewards in terms of moving forward in football.”

http://www.<No links to this website>/sport/football/football-news/mark-warburton-wants-implement-incentivised-7410411?#wKqMOXvkMOtLckRV.97

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like the philosophy behind short term extensions and keeping a player focused How many times have you seen players sign on for the pay load and put the tools away, I could name a few. 

The only downside would not be making money from selling players because they have not long to go on their contract - decent players with a couple of years left on a contract are worth more than a short time left.

But I suppose if our philosophy is that we are not a "selling club" then that would not matter. 

His analogy is, however, faulted. Football is a team game and you would have to pay every player the same bonus. For example, if Waghorn got a bigger bonus for scoring more goals, other forwards may be more prepared to try the 1/2 chance than square the ball to Waghorn standing in front of goal; and what about the penalties. Does the player who won the penalty or the scorer, assuming they are not the same player, get the bonus, or both of them. But then, What about the player who made the defence splitting pass, and so it goes on.

Having been on both sides of the fence regarding bonuses, I always felt that the back-up staff really lost out as the "high-flyer" could not do without the admin staff but do they share in the bonus? Do they fuck.

I always remember the story Davie Wilson tells about when close season wages were separately negotiated. Davie complained that Jim Baxter was offered more than him to be told that Baxter was a better player. Davie's reply - "In the close season, he's not".

6 minutes ago, Smile said:

Reads like we are always trying to make excuses why McKays not signed a longer deal compared to the other players, it's quite jumbled up in parts and isn't really clear.

What part isn't clear to you?

I don't see where it's jumbled at all.  I also agree with a lot of his points, especially the appearance money thing.

3 minutes ago, gogzy said:

What part isn't clear to you?

I don't see where it's jumbled at all.  I also agree with a lot of his points, especially the appearance money thing.

Last week Barrie McKay signed only a one-year extension to his current contract, despite team-mates Andy Halliday and Jason Holt being tied up until 2020.

But Warburton says McKay’s deal was deliberate. He wants the 20-year-old to stay focused on performing at a high level instead of drifting off the radar like other talented kids in the past.

The Rangers gaffer said: “Shorter deals maintain the hunger of a player. Whenever you sign a player you know they might never be better than they are now.

This seems a lot of nonsense, or all our players would have had short term deals.

It's stuff like this that makes me even more delighted we got Warburton, because he's changing the ethos of the club as well as the way we play on the park.

For years and years we've moaned about paying over the odds for players and this seems to be the ideal solution to that problem.

Let's hope those in power are learning from this so we carry on this approach when Warbs does finally move on.

1 minute ago, Smile said:

This seems a lot of nonsense, or all our players would have had short term deals.

Mark Warburton wants to implement 'incentivised' banker-style bonus scheme at Rangers       

Maybe an unusual way of saying hes fairly sure Holt and halliday will be good enough for next season, but that he's still not made his mind up on mckay. Sensible way to do it really, we can no longer afford to have scores of guys on high wages filling the bench or not even making the squad. With his previous career in banking it should be expected that he's financially savvy, and so here he appears to be showing that. 

22 minutes ago, Smile said:

Reads like we are always trying to make excuses why McKays not signed a longer deal compared to the other players, it's quite jumbled up in parts and isn't really clear.

Weren't you blaming the board for not signing Barrie fast enough a while ago? If Mark thinks Barrie is only worth a short term contract in order to keep him hungry then he has to live with any consequences. The board have done what he asked of them. Wind your neck back in.

Players who spend their careers with us injured or just not caring will lose out financially which is a good thing. The days of players like Templeton making a fortune and making less appearances than Santa will be coming to an end. 

10 minutes ago, Smile said:

So?  He is signed until 2018 and this is the first season where you could say he has proven his worth, the other players Warburton knew better, and if in 6 months to a year we might find McKay signing another contract extension.  We just don't know.  We also don't know if McKay wanted a longer contract extension.

1 minute ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

Weren't you blaming the board for that a while ago? If Mark thinks Barrie is only worth a short term contract in order to keep him hungry then he has to live with any consequences. The board have done what he asked of them. Wind your neck back in.

Players who spend their careers with us injured or just not caring will lose out financially which is a good thing. The days of players like Templeton making a fortune and making less appearances than Santa will be coming to an end. 

Barrie held all the cards here not the board or Warburton in terms of the deal.

8 minutes ago, FSM said:

Sounds great, but is this philosophy going to discourage the more experienced and  higher profile players from signing for us?

I doubt it, MW & DW plus our facilities and the chance to play in Europe and win trophies will be a good incentive, and players who sign for us will then have a bigger profile playing at Ibrox.

10 minutes ago, FSM said:

Sounds great, but is this philosophy going to discourage the more experienced and  higher profile players from signing for us?

It must be hard now getting any decent player to come to Scottish football as its so poor now.

3 minutes ago, Poetry_In_Blue said:

So?  He is signed until 2018 and this is the first season where you could say he has proven his worth, the other players Warburton knew better, and if in 6 months to a year we might find McKay signing another contract extension.  We just don't know.  We also don't know if McKay wanted a longer contract extension.

Added a year to his contract really nothing more.