Ibrox the 9th best stadium in Europe

ibrox.jpg?itok=bW62P8hN

9. Ibrox, Rangers

Originally a vast concrete bowl, Ibrox once held 118,000 fans, but was redeveloped completely in the late 1970s, following a disaster in 1971 in which 66 fans lost their lives. Only the old, Archibald Leitch-designed main stand remained (complete with familiar criss-cross baldony) and as a listed structure, it was cleverly modernised with a new roof and extra tier in the late 1990s. The end result is a 51,000-capacity football ground that combines modernity with tradition and atmosphere.

http://talksport.com/football/top-25-football-stadiums-europe-160316188613?p=16

Beating the likes of Old Trafford, Emirates Stadium, Stamford Bridge, Allianz Arena, Juventus Stadium, and Celtic Park.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, LeeWallaceRFC said:

ibrox.jpg?itok=bW62P8hN

9. Ibrox, Rangers

http://talksport.com/football/top-25-football-stadiums-europe-160316188613?p=16

Beating the likes of Old Trafford, Emirates Stadium, Stamford Bridge, Allianz Arena, Juventus Stadium, and Celtic Park.

She's a beauty alright. Still remember my dad taking me to my first game 30 years ago and being in awe of the great place!!

4 minutes ago, The Monk said:

Dortmund`s

Was Ibrox not based on Dortmund's stadium after the ibrox disaster? Or did Dortmund get a new stadium for the World Cup, and its that stadium thats top?

I am obviously biased, but I think the stadium is beautiful.

3 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

Was Ibrox not based on Dortmund's stadium after the ibrox disaster? Or did Dortmund get a new stadium for the World Cup, and its that stadium thats top?

I am obviously biased, but I think the stadium is beautiful.

No, their stadium has been expanded over the years. It's very different now and much bigger, but anything that's been built has been added on to the existing one. Nothing was demolished.

I don't think there's any stadium that comes close to Ibrox externally. That magnificent red brick facade has an aura about it all of its own, you can almost taste the history of the club from looking at it. I still take a detour sometimes just to drive past it, and I just feel my heart swell as it looms up in front of me, there's a definite emotional attachment there.

There may well be "better" stadia but how many would you recognise from outside as instantly as Ibrox? 

Some of the choices are strange for me.  The Westfalen Stadion is great for atmosphere but outside it is no great shakes.   The Mestala in Valencia is another with great atmosphere when full but looks awful outside. The Camp Nou is the 2nd worst looking stadium out of the 25.    It looks like the ugliest car park you can imagine.   Cologne is nothing remarkable either.   

7 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

8 - Mestalla

7 - Anfield

6 - Stade Velodrome

5 - Camp Nou

4 - Bernabeu

3 - Wembley

2 - San Siro

1 -Westfalenstadion

Personally I prefer our stadium to Anfield and Mestalla. Not sure Wembley should be third as nice a stadium as it is.

I thought the San Siro had a pretty poor reputation, obviously not.

Camp Nou looks like a multi story car park from outside and lacks character inside.  Was very dissapointed.  

Our stadium is absolute class.  Chatting to Burnley fans outside the front door earlier in the year who were in absolute awe, I felt proud as fuck to be discussing the ground with away fans not suffering from the same mental issues as the typical roaster who follows another Scottish club.

Havent been to a great many big stadiums, but based on the exterior alone Ibrox is totally unique and no one can deny it is one of the most beautiful and loudest stadiums in the world.

Ive always said id love to own a Rangers pub that from the outside looked exactly like the Main Stand at Ibrox :lol:

Top 25

25 Chelsea, Stamford Bridge

24 Stade Louis II, Monaco,

23 Estadio da Luz, Lisbon,

22 Parken, Copenhagen,

21 St James’s Park, Newcastle,

20 Parc Olympique Lyonnais, Lyon,

19 Sukru Saracoglu, Istanbul,

18 Goodison Park, Liverpool,

17 Olypiastadion, Berlin,

16 Emirates Stadium, London,

15 Arena AufSchalke, Gelsenkirchen,