Who is Rene Meulensteen????

JWAC

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/03/17/rene-meulensteen-admits-wanting-rangers-job-in-the-summer-gutted/

Don't remember any of that, the HITC site is full of shite though isn't it?

In the summer Rangers were looking for a new manager after Stuart McCall had failed to take the club back to the Scottish Premiership after replacing Ally McCoist.

Plenty of names were linked with the role at Ibrox, including that of former Manchester United coach and Fulham manager Rene Meulensteen.

The Dutchman was out of work after being sacked by Fulham in February 2014 and the Rangers job was certainly an opportunity he would have relished.

Speaking to ELF Voetbal this week Meulensteen admitted he would have loved to have gotten the Rangers job, believing there was a good project at the club:

"That seemed like an awfully nice challenge. A club with a rich history.

Embed from Getty Images

"The story sounded good. I would have been there to build something, but the club opted for Mark Warburton with club icon David Weir as an assistant. Very sorry."

In all respect to Meulensteen, Rangers fans will no doubt be pleased that the Scottish Championship side did indeed opt with Warburton and Weir.

The pair are leading Rangers to the Scottish Championship title and are also in the Scottish Cup semi-final against Old Firm rivals Celtic - so things are certainly going well under the current management team.

His loss our gain, hard to imagine any new management team being more impressive in every aspect than Mark and Sir David.

But he's right to point out what an attractive proposition Rangers are, I'm sure Mark was delighted to get an opportunity to manage us and have a clean sheet to bring his ideas to fruition whilst taking one of the worlds biggest clubs back to its rightful place, think we undersell ourselves when we doubt what Marks getting out of managing us esp with regard to any future potential decision to leave.

What encourages me about Warburton, amongst other things, is that he certainly isn't in football for the money, by his own admission he is VERY comfortable in that area of life, so I keep hoping that his plans are very much long term at Rangers, 7-10 years. He is the first Rangers manager for donkeys years that we really cannot afford to lose. Personally I do think he will be here long term, as I believe we are in the first steps of embarking on another legendary period in our clubs history, not only domestically, but in Europe as well. It's wonderful to be in on the journey, can't fucking wait tbh.

3 minutes ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

What encourages me about Warburton, amongst other things, is that he certainly isn't in football for the money, by his own admission he is VERY comfortable in that area of life, so I keep hoping that his plans are very much long term at Rangers, 7-10 years. He is the first Rangers manager for donkeys years that we really cannot afford to lose. Personally I do think he will be here long term, as I believe we are in the first steps of embarking on another legendary period in our clubs history, not only domestically, but in Europe as well. It's wonderful to be in on the journey, can't fucking wait tbh.

Without trying to go off topic to your post, he won't be here 7-10 years.

The turnaround in fortunes isn't solely down to MW, nor DW. The club have already said that the ethos of the footballing side has been completely transformed from top to bottom. I'm more than confident if and when he does leave we won't be changing our approach to football.

17 minutes ago, jim white's a bear said:

Without trying to go off topic to your post, he won't be here 7-10 years.

The turnaround in fortunes isn't solely down to MW, nor DW. The club have already said that the ethos of the footballing side has been completely transformed from top to bottom. I'm more than confident if and when he does leave we won't be changing our approach to football.

If he leaves that legacy and footballing ethos to be carried on by others when he does go, that would be good enough for me. It is actually very encouraging and reassuring to hear that the club have said this, I didn't know that. It would be great to watch this style of football generation after generation no matter who the custodian taking us forward is.

4 hours ago, downviewbear said:

He was a very good coach under ferguson at man utd apparently the players loved his training sessions but doesnt seem to have it as a manager.

He was more than just a coach at United. He went in and changed the football philosophy at the Academy and then took over the reserves before he became assistant. 

As someone else said he is a very good coach but not cut out for management.

Not sure if it was Rene that burst the balloon when SAF near shat his keks :lol:  As far as MW staying for 7-10 years. I can see the same scenario that, if he doesn't stay long term we will end up with SDoW like Souness did with Walter. We all know what happened after that.   

Meulensteen is one of the most highly regarded coaches in the world.  However wherever he has gone as a manager he has totally bombed.  Lucky we never went for him.

As a side note, how is the Portuguese guy Periera getting on?  Remember reading here he would have been appointed if we went up but decided against when we fucked the playoffs.