Manager's Reaction

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MARK WARBURTON admitted to being left bemused after his side blew a two-goal lead to lose 3-2 to Falkirk tonight.

The Light Blues stormed into a 2-0 lead inside nine minutes thanks to Kenny Miller and Barrie McKay before the home side hit back with three late goals to stun Warburton’s side.

Asked how his side had conspired to lose the game, Warburton told RangersTV.tv: “I don’t honestly know, and David and I said the same thing on the sidelines there. In the first 15 minutes, we should have been five, six or seven up, and Peter [Houston] very graciously said the same thing on the sideline.

“There were a couple of warning signs and a couple of loose passes, but we were two-up and should have been out of sight.

“In the second half, again we did OK and made them work, but then we just took extra touches, were sloppy in possession and didn’t do what we do well.

“It was a wonder strike for the first goal – but Wes [Foderingham] had already made one or two good saves, so the warning signs were very, very clear to us.

“At those moments, you have to take care of the football, and we didn’t do that and we paid the price.

“If you stop doing what we have done well all season, then that’s what happens.”

The start from Rangers was phenomenal, but Warburton insists even in those early moments the warning signs were there for his side.

He continued: “I thought we were very, very good, and in the run of 15 unbeaten we have been on, there have been games in there – like against Dundee – where we have controlled the football and controlled the games.

“But in the first 15 to 20 minutes we were outstanding, and the movement, the timing of the movement, the ball release and the quality of ball release was very, very good.

“But, and it is a big but, there were little warning signs that we have to recognise – and if we stamp them out then the rest doesn’t happen.”

I agree with everything Warburton said, imo the warning signs were even clear to me as well just in this one match that we should have took our chances better and sought to keepgoing for the jugular, and not caved in and gifted it to an inferior side

First 20mins i thought it was going to be a rout and we should've been out of sight at HT but we seemed to think the game was won before then, we were sloppy, took our foot of the gas, lost concentration and paid the price. We'll learn from this defeat im sure and its a wake up call to the team that nothing is won yet. The players will be just as annoyed as us. We'll still win this league in the next few games thats for sure!

16 minutes ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

I thought he almost admitted he got the subs wrong, the way the game was going they looked likely to get something, should have been a case of protecting what we had and not carry on chasing goals.

That goes completely against warbs style of management and rightly so. We should never protected what we have said it the other day a would rather get beat trying to score goals than win hanging on at the end

"There were a couple of warning signs and a couple of loose passes, but we were two-up and should have been out of sight."

Yep, the signs were there and they weren't dealt with. Combine that with taking Miller and McKay off and we lost the grip we had on the game. I hate to say it, but MW has to take just as much of the blame for tonight as the players. The thing that is a real concern to me is that sloppy, complacent, casualness has reared its head time and time again. In all honesty we've had spells like that in a majority of our games from October/November onwards, spells where we could find ourselves leaving premiership games empty handed as a result. 

Complacency is an issue with the management, not just the players. And for us it's been the only chink in Mr Warburtons armour so far at Rangers.  There's always overreaction on here after a defeat, but it's just plain ignorant to deny that there is real lessons to be learned from tonight - lessons i feel we've ignored a fair few times this season. 

Until we get several additional quality players in, this will happen.  We don't have the squad depth and there are a couple of regular starters and subs who just shouldn't be there. We will still win this league out site with the current squad, but a step up in quality is neede for next season. Starting with the central defence.

5 minutes ago, danger ranger said:

Bemused, it's crystal clear what's wrong, football from a text book isn't going to cut it Mark, you need skilful players and people who can score goals, quite simple.

Right backs and left backs scoring double figures. Waghorn was scoring for fun and Miller has stood up to the plate and scored vital goals for us.

It's all about the goals.

If the players start taking extra touches and slow the tempo (which clearly doesn't suit us) then why not tell them to step it up. Don't see why this malaise (which has been evident a few times this season) has to be 45 mins long. Won't be able to get stuck in a rut next season. Changing the pace of the game will be essential. Not so much in the first half of the season more when the opposition get used to playing against our style. MW said the warning signs were there. Might as well react to it then. Overall I think these are all invaluable lessons for the squad and manager. Might as well learn from them now. 

7 hours ago, Prso's headband said:

Whys that? You fucking bemuse me

I just think that's a strange way to put it, didn't watch the interview as yet but started reading second post.

Not trying to make excuses but thelinesman giving tavs goal offside was a poor decision. That would have put us out of sight. 

I agree with MW on all points apart from one sub. Miller was getting tired and perhaps King was ineffective second half so Forrester was would have been my change. But it is sometimes better to put that extra deep midfielder such as shiels to get across the line. I honestly don't care how we get there now apart from winning the cup final and giving the unwashed a kicking. Results matter and at 2-1 it cost us making so many early subs and not having the option to shut up shop.