Between 4 & 6

Just read a quote attributed to MW where he says he needs between 4 & 6 new players to add to the squad (one being a defender).

Given we have a fairly decent team albeit very young in it only being together for this season, what are the thoughts on what we need and need to let go.

I don't watch any other football unless Rangers are involved so can't comment on what we face next year, but i get the impression if we keep playing the way we do i expect teams to sit deep and hit the ball in behind us with pace next season. We have looked better with a more direct style (without Zelalem) of late however he may be the type of player we need moving forward.

Also interested to hear what the plan should be against them in the cup, i read that Tav has said we won't change our style.

Guest Lloyd72

dean shiels is the only player I would retain from the ones currently running out of time on their contracts, the positions we need to bring in are obvious id think but top of the list needs to be an experienced, hard tackler in midfield like john eustace could have been if he'd signed.

The thoughts going through my head are that the fringe players coming on don't seem to be offering much, will they move on and the current crop drop down or fight it out with better players. I don't see the need to keep players if they add nothing, thats the kind of spend we don't need, id rather we let several go and bring in better while blooding the younger players.

From what i saw of Thompson (ex Man U) he looks a real prospect but would be getting held back by the likes of Law.

5 hours ago, Lloyd72 said:

dean shiels is the only player I would retain from the ones currently running out of time on their contracts, the positions we need to bring in are obvious id think but top of the list needs to be an experienced, hard tackler in midfield like john eustace could have been if he'd signed.

:lol: the messiah himself, John Eustace.

I genuinely think people have this amazing perception of this guy and 90% probably haven't even seen him play. 

He trained for months and couldn't get fit so no, he wasn't good enough. Not to mention he was like 35 or something. 

I agree we need a tough tackling midfielder but an unfit, over the hill John Eustace isn't the answer.

It certainly won't be 4, we will lose likely 5-6 so he will need to bring in at least that many, and likely one or two more to account for higher league. IF we managed to get into Europe, I won't be surprised if it's closer to 7-8

32 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

One thing nobody really talks about but I do wonder about is cover for Wallace and Tavernier - they are pretty integral to our style of play but not really sure who would cover should they get injured 

To answer your question,Bp9, the answer is we have nobody who could slot in to those two positions and play anywhere near the level of those two players and their different overall qualities.

We could perhaps get players who are better defenders but if they haven't the attacking prowess of Tavernier and Wallace then our entire playing system would have to change. put another way; it's not going to be easy (or cheap) to find another two of similar standard.

34 minutes ago, Ozblue said:

To answer your question,Bp9, the answer is we have nobody who could slot in to those two positions and play anywhere near the level of those two players and their different overall qualities.

We could perhaps get players who are better defenders but if they haven't the attacking prowess of Tavernier and Wallace then our entire playing system would have to change. put another way; it's not going to be easy (or cheap) to find another two of similar standard.

Agreed - I think both have been ever present ( I know aird got a few sub appearances early on at right back) but it's a lot to hope they will remain injury free  - and the way we play does mean we depend on good layers in those positions 

1 minute ago, allgers said:

We have two players coming in on pre-contracts,  wonder how they fit in...

I think they're pegged to be squad players rather than first choice though who knows.  They're both young and I'm presuming he sees something in both so they may have the potential to be quickly developed into a first choice.

The only player of the out of contracts I can see us keeping is dean Shiels. Mr Warburton I think will want someone that has been there and done it in the premier league to even give the young  players that wee bit experience passed on. Plus forester will hopefully be staying. Crooks and windass coming in just another 4 to come then. Has anyone asked Kenny millers neighbour 

25 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

Agreed - I think both have been ever present ( I know aird got a few sub appearances early on at right back) but it's a lot to hope they will remain injury free  - and the way we play does mean we depend on good layers in those positions 

To me they are the two positions that we have been/are playing Russian roulette with,because if anything happened to them I think we could be in trouble. Every time I saw one of them go down it sent shivers up my spine.They attack so often and so fast it's a miracle they haven't been injured by the cloggers in this league at some time. The thought of Ball and Halliday having to cover in those positions doesn't give me a lot of confidence.

Definitely one of the first positions we should look at for next season.

2 hours ago, Bluepeter9 said:

One thing nobody really talks about but I do wonder about is cover for Wallace and Tavernier - they are pretty integral to our style of play but not really sure who would cover should they get injured 

Cover at full back is vital this Summer IMO.

Wallace and Tav are so key to how we play and we don't have anybody who can come in as a like for like replacement if either of them were to have a spell out.

If we play with flying full backs we need a real holding midfielder with a good football brain, pace and height, that way we have insurance. I don't know if there is anyone in that mould we have been linked with but it would help release both full backs at the same time as opposed to one going and the other sitting. 

Really like what MW and DW are moulding and don't believe we are anywhere near where they want us to be, will be interesting in the close season to see where our moves are.

Our main focus should be improving the spine of the team and not just the squad.

A really athletic centre half with lots of pace ( Bougherra type ) is required to slot in alongside either Kiernan or Wilson.

A centre controlling midfielder is required. Someone who is very comfortable in possession, has a good blend of pace, power and footballing intelligence.

A striker that has pace, power, skill and great finishing ability.

If we can efficiently tick these boxes and add another few quality squad additions then we will be in very good shape.

Quite a few will be leaving; then some of the younger players out on loan will be coming in. Warburton will also be expecting players like Jordan Thompson, who I believe he really rates, to step up and be ready for the first team. In that context I think we are looking at between 4 and 6 players.

4 hours ago, rfc_watp said:

:lol: the messiah himself, John Eustace.

I genuinely think people have this amazing perception of this guy and 90% probably haven't even seen him play. 

He trained for months and couldn't get fit so no, he wasn't good enough. Not to mention he was like 35 or something. 

I agree we need a tough tackling midfielder but an unfit, over the hill John Eustace isn't the answer.

Agreed so much. You'd think this guy was Makelele, Busquets and Alonso all rolled into one the way some on here rate him. 

We do need a sitting midfielder, cover for the fullbacks, wings and most crucially another centerback. 

Leaving from the squad will be

Sheils

Law

Clark

Bell

Zelalem

Ball

King

Coming in should be

Cover for Tav/ Wallace

A CB to partner Kiernan

a CDM

A top striker

It means one or two of Miller McKay OHallaron Waggy Forrester will not get a game which is hard to believe. I think their all good enough tbh. 

2 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Leaving from the squad will be

Sheils

Law

Clark

Bell

Zelalem

Ball

King

Coming in should be

Cover for Tav/ Wallace

A CB to partner Kiernan

a CDM

A top striker

It means one or two of Miller McKay OHallaron Waggy Forrester will not get a game which is hard to believe. I think their all good enough tbh. 

I think Zelalem will be back next season.

Just now, Turnberry18 said:

I think Zelalem will be back next season.

You could be right but then one of Holt or Halliday, Thompson misses out. The dilemma is great but Id hate to see the likes of Martyn Waghorn and Holt on the bench. They deserve it next season IMO. 

I like Zelalem and I think he'd flourish next season especially away from home with the games becoming more open.

Just now, Prso's headband said:

You could be right but then one of Holt or Halliday, Thompson misses out. The dilemma is great but Id hate to see the likes of Martyn Waghorn and Holt on the bench. They deserve it next season IMO. 

I like Zelalem and I think he'd flourish next season especially away from home with the games becoming more open.

I think the squad will need better depth, particularly in midfield. Most of our signings will probably be in that area.