Gedion Zelalem

Zappa6995

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought he was going to miss that pen, great finish though so fair play. Don't like him as a player though, just seems to slow the game down every time he gets the ball and takes too long to make decisions, it really stifles our attack.

Everyone was posting critical stuff in the match thread during the game but I thought he was calm, composed, started a few decent counter attacks, did nothing wrong at all. He's lightweight and not very productive but well done to him today.

I think he's the type of player who will excel the higher level he plays at. Very easy on the eye, very comfortable on the ball. Not afraid to keep the ball, retain possession and can pick a pass. He doesn't like the hustle and bustle of lower league players harassing him, getting in his face, chomping at his ankles. However, give him time on the ball he is so composed. This experience, the good and the small lows, will do him the world of good. He's still a kid playing in a new country, a new team, learning his trade, becoming a man. I have no doubts he'll have a very good career in the years to come. Maybe not with Arsenal but certainly at a pretty high level. Good luck regardless Gedion.......

He's going to be a great player.  Shines under pressure in the same way Weiss did.  I wish he was on from the start or better yet, he came on instead of Nicky Law.  Doesn't matter now because we won anyway.  I hope we can keep Zelalem for next season because he's only going to get better and could help us tremendously in European games.

39 minutes ago, JamieD said:

Everyone was posting critical stuff in the match thread during the game but I thought he was calm, composed, started a few decent counter attacks, did nothing wrong at all. He's lightweight and not very productive but well done to him today.

Our support or famously inpatient though, I think he looks comfortable on the ball and can pick out a pass. He should be a good player in future.

I would say players like him are the future, I thought that triple-barrelled  name tuechter from Dundee would give us headaches but the atmosphere cut through him. It was a weird football match, and we won it.

He scored a belter of a penalty but other than that when he came on he was getting chopped by fresh air, jogging along side Celtic players without even having a go at putting in the tackle, and walking around with the ball instead of a speedy run. He doesn't cut it for me. 

1 minute ago, SuperPapac05 said:

He scored a belter of a penalty but other than that when he came on he was getting chopped by fresh air, jogging along side Celtic players without even having a go at putting in the tackle, and walking around with the ball instead of a speedy run. He doesn't cut it for me. 

He had a couple of times the ball broke to him and he could have stretched the legs and motored forward but he wasn't sure what to do. i think he will get better than he is but I compare him to Ferguson at 19 and he's not in that class.

From Stars and Stripes

Gedion Zelalem was subbed into one of, if not the most, intense rivalries in the entire sporting world and played a big part on Sunday. It was Rangers vs. Celtic, the Old Firm derby, in the semifinals of the Scottish Cup. With time winding down in regulation, the U.S. youth international stepped on the field in the 87th minute.

The high stakes match headed to extra time knotted at 1. After both sides scored in the extra period it would be decided in penalties.

Tied up 3-3 on penalties, Zelalem stepped up with all the pressure on his shoulders and converted his spot kick with confidence. He celebrated by 'shushing' the nearby Celtic fans. This kid has some moxie, this can't be denied.

Rangers would go on to win the shootout in the next round after Celtic missed. The second-division side prevail over their most bitter rivals and will compete in the Scottish Cup final where Zelalem will have a chance to win a trophy.

Rangers have clinched promotion and will be back with Celtic in the first-division next season, but it has to be so sweet to get the upper hand on them while being a division below.