The Chairman's Reaction

I have always felt as if the Chairman is a real blue who has littered the board with true blues rather than business men simply looking for a cut of the pie.  I never joined in the chorus of those who attacked him for his 30 million warchest remark when a relatively paltry sum was actually spent.

What he was saying was if that's what's required to get us back where we need to be then we will invest it over a period of years not a single Championship season.  And what's the point of scattering such sums of money around when we can get there with a much smaller investment? 

Take the cup and i'm confident he will release even more money than might have been the case to help give us a run in Europe and obviously the promise of Europe will be a boost to our prospects of attracting better quality than might otherwise have been the case.

Yesterdays match will have been watched all over the island and beyond and that too will have been a potential lure for targets who would like to get a taste of such high drama.

Using the scum as the benchmark?

I'm sorry but that's bullshit, there should be no benchmark only the achievement of excellence and trying to be the best you can be. Trying to meet a benchmark that is basically your rival's quality level will often see you coming off second best as you'll end up trying to be a pseudo-replica of it.

Meeting that kind of benchmark does not make for any kind of greatness whatsoever.f

Well wrong on that one King, so stop fucking saying it.

7 minutes ago, Jack The Flipper said:

I'm sorry but that's bullshit, there should be no benchmark only the achievement of excellence and trying to be the best you can be. Trying to meet a benchmark that is basically your rival's quality level will often see you coming off second best as you'll end up trying to be a pseudo-replica of it.

Meeting that kind of benchmark does not make for any kind of greatness whatsoever.f

That IS the benchmark for all he promised.  He didn't pledge we would win the Champions league.  He said that he would return us to the top of Scottish football and back into Europe.  If we're better than them he has fulfilled all of his promises so that IS the benchmark at this time.

5 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

That IS the benchmark for all he promised.  He didn't pledge we would win the Champions league.  He said that he would return us to the top of Scottish football and back into Europe.  If we're better than them he has fulfilled all of his promises so that IS the benchmark at this time.

You don't get it - no other team should be used as our benchmark.

Whether we are in the Scottish cup, The Championship, Lower League, Scottish Premiership, Europe - no other team should be used as a benchmark - every member of staff should try and be the best they can be and the team should be strengthened to the highest quality possible.

This is exactly what MW has been saying since he got here, and he's right. King is not.

7 minutes ago, Jack The Flipper said:

Whether we are in the Scottish cup, The Championship, Lower League, Scottish Premiership, Europe - no other team should be used as a benchmark - every member of staff should try and be the best they can be and the team should be strengthened to the highest quality possible.

This is exactly what MW has been saying since he got here, and he's right. King is not.

I agree with you but still don't think the Chairman has said anything he deserves criticism for.  His objective is to make us as good as we can be in stages with benchmarks along the way which will be adjusted as we go.  Being better than them is merely the first stage.

18 minutes ago, Jack The Flipper said:

I don't think you've read anything that MW has said during the runup to that game? He more or less said the same that Celtic are the benchmark, they're top of the SPL so that's who we need to beat.

Or is it just the fact it's King saying it?

So far the board have paid off Ashley, brought in players, and are covering our losses. Can't grumble after the state we were in. The management team have obviously been the key to our success but it's great to see our own back at the helm. I was told Ashley never spoke to Newcastle fans for 6 years. Fuck taking that shite of anybody. Feels like we're the proper Rangers again with guys like Gilligan on board and Greig, Smith etc back in the stands. I like the fact our club is so historical right down to the people running us. Would hate for us to become one of these franchise type clubs run by corporations. Some things are more important than money. 

1 hour ago, Jack The Flipper said:

I think you are being deliberately obtuse here, after the state we were in last year how on earth could you blame anyone at the club from saying that sellic were the benchmark that we had to strive for, like it or not they are still top of the heap at this moment in time (one game no matter how sweet the result doesn't alter that) so in trying to achieve that mark it meant we would then become top of the heap.

now of course when we reach that point I would be surprised if King would be content in saying "job done", I firmly believe he would then want to take the next step and have us advance our position and to then have us as the benchmark for the rest to attempt to achieve.

One step at a time.

I do not think I deserve the criticism I've received for saying we should be aiming as high as possible not just to meet the same level as our rivals.

I've said my piece, I'm not interested in the personal attacks.

Clearly the interpretation of benchmark differs. 

I'm out.

13 minutes ago, Jack The Flipper said:

I do not think I deserve the criticism I've received for saying we should be aiming as high as possible not just to meet the same level as our rivals.

I've said my piece, I'm not interested in the personal attacks.

Clearly the interpretation of benchmark differs. 

I'm out.

crossed wires from what I can see.

celtic have been "seen" as the top team in the country for the last 4 years. Granted we have been shit until this year.

we should be aiming to surpass them and set the benchmark. The benchmark is the "top" team so in fairness it was Celtic as of the last completed season but now we know they are confirmed as being shite.

we should be aiming to strengthen and totally eclipse them next year, we'll get so far beyond them when we set the benchmark that they won't even see the fuckingpark that the bench is in :uk:

1 minute ago, NeoGeo7 said:

crossed wires from what I can see.

celtic have been "seen" as the top team in the country for the last 4 years. Granted we have been shit until this year.

we should be aiming to surpass them and set the benchmark. The benchmark is the "top" team so in fairness it was Celtic as of the last completed season but now we know they are confirmed as being shite.

we should be aiming to strengthen and totally eclipse them next year, we'll get so far beyond them when we set the benchmark that they won't even see the fuckingpark that the bench is in :uk:

exactly ;)

Not a King acolyte but very encouraged by his comments regarding talking to MW and strengthening the team for next season.  Winning #55 next season will be a great achievement and must be our #1 goal.

Assuming we beat Hivees and games n Europe will be great for the development of our side and really be icing on the cake.

Onwards and Upwards

3 hours ago, Jack The Flipper said:

? Unfortunate and misguided turn of phrase from Mr King but I think he's commenting in the context of where we are now and where we want to be. However, being the most successful club in world football entitles us to, rightfully, believe every other club should view US as the benchmark and blueprint for success!! Maybe we're being a wee bit pedantic about semantics here but these things are important, given how we've been treated as a club and as Rangers fans over the past 4 years!!! Mr King NEEDS to have his finger on the pulse of fan's feelings on these issues if he's to gain our trust....and therein lies the problem....we're almost reluctant to give him that trust because we've been shafted by so many crooks and charlatans....this is the precise reason he MUST say and do the right things ALL of the time!!! Maybe Mr Warburton could offer Dave some advice on PR protocol and acumen whilst he's, so expertly, conducting operations on the football front AND the PR front!!!....on that note, actually, I'd give MW carte blanche to run and oversee EVERY  single dept at the club.....that's how highly I rate this guy!!!

They're only the benchmark until we smash through them and then we start making our benchmarks in Europe.  I don't think what he is saying is wrong. They're the benchmark but I don't see that we are aiming just to be a little better than them. We are going to well and truly surpass that benchmark and sooner than was expected!

9 hours ago, Jack The Flipper said:

You better tell MW to stop saying it also 

Go get a fuckin life

We just beat them at hampden a year after King came in and 9 months after MW came in.

You might not like it but Celtic will be champions of the SPL this year so that is the next benchmark we must pass and will pass.

We had no hope until King rescued us and the Board got a proper manager in.

enjoy the moment 

8 hours ago, Bluerod said:

You better tell MW to stop saying it also 

Go get a fuckin life

We just beat them at hampden a year after King came in and 9 months after MW came in.

You might not like it but Celtic will be champions of the SPL this year so that is the next benchmark we must pass and will pass.

We had no hope until King rescued us and the Board got a proper manager in.

enjoy the moment 

aye rab ;)

you're the one getting personal, i simply made a point.

jog on