More than a result: A Return.

OceanRain

Yesterday, for me, had nothing to do with getting into the next round of the Scottish cup. I certainly wasn't shedding tears at the end because we'd made it into a final. I wanted us to lay down a marker. 

While McCoist (and to a lesser extent McDowall and McCall) was in charge we bumbled our way through the lower leagues and capitulated in embarrassing cup exits, a humiliating derby performance and, the last straw, failure to qualify (via the bloody playoffs) for the Premiership last year. Meanwhile, Cel*ic had the house to themselves. League title cake walks, they predicted. European qualification pole position, they thought. Trebles aplenty to collect, said the press. In fact, it had been decided that by the time we got back to top flight football, the gulf between Cel*ic and ourselves would be so vast that even 10-In-A-Row was a distinct possibility, if not a certainty.

And they've fucked it. They've utterly, utterly fucked it.

In that space of time they simply stagnated. Nothing short of that. Stood still and took it for granted that they'd win the league each year and scrape into the group stages of the Champions League by spending as little money as possible while selling off the family silver - in the form of their best players - for as much money as they could get their grubby wee hands on. They also kept costs down by bringing in a woeful management team and yet more questionable signings. A shite team, being led by a clueless manager, being backed by a support who have rapidly dwindled in home attendance on match days and who are (ONCE AGAIN) screaming for bloodshed in the boardroom. 

In complete contrast, Warburton and Weir currently have this team playing the best football in the country. A fast, high-tempo, passing game with a percentage share of possession which is completely dominating. A squad of individuals who collectively play for their jerseys, for the badge, and for the fans. A style of football which Deila had waxed lyrical about bringing to Cel*ic Park and has failed miserably in doing so.

And yet, where has been the praise from the Scottish media? Where were the tributes that were offered up to Hearts last season? Or Hibs this year when it looked like they were "serious title challengers"? (No laughing at the back, please!) How many of the papers gave us a chance yesterday? There was only one group of people willing to admit that we could beat that Cel*ic team - us, the Rangers support. No one else wanted to concede that it was possible. And that's down to either a complete lack of awareness as to what's been happening at Ibrox since The Magic Hat arrived (unlikely) or down to a far more serious and deep-rooted problem within the Scottish press - a hatred for Rangers Football Club. I'll leave you to decide which of those two scenarios it's more likely to be. 

But, fuck them and fuck Cel*ic. Yesterday at Hampden, in possibly the most emotional game I can ever remember, we didn't so much lay as ram that marker down their gloating throats. Not just in front of their own supporters, not just in front of the self-deceiving eyes of the Scottish press, but in front of the world. Yesterday we showed all those watching what we, ourselves, already knew - that the predicted, nay, yearned for gap between the two sides had failed to materialise. We showed that it had been a complete myth - perpetuated relentlessly by all and sundry - and, in actual fact, we were the better team. After four seasons of imposed exile, here we were playing the champions elect off the pitch at the national stadium. There could be no denying it. It was there for all to see. We were a better footballing side than Cel*ic.

Yesterday wasn't simply the next stage in a cup competition. It was the next stage in the revolution which is re-establishing the order of power in Scottish football. It was a demonstration of the work that's been done, the obstacles overcome, the support that's been unwavering, and the passion which now ripples, once again, through every fibre of this club's being.

It was about announcing, to an audience of millions, that there's still not a team like the Glasgow Rangers.

4 minutes ago, OceanRain said:

In that space of time they simply stagnated. Nothing short of that. Stood still and took it for granted that they'd win the league each year and scrape into the group stages of the Champions League by spending as little money as possible while selling off the family silver - in the form of their best players - for as much money as they could get their grubby wee hands on

That's what killed them and it's so sweet that they now know it.  They had a real chance to construct a dominant position it could have taken us a decade to catch up with and they made a complete arse of it.  They thought that even when Rangers did make it back to the SPL there would still be years to go before we could compete so didn't care about anything much beyond being a little better than Aberdeen.

Yesterday the stark reality of their complete ignorance gave them a boot in the arse they will never forget.  They earned that boot in the arse and how I loved watching the boot going all the way in front of a global audience.  I see no easy way out of this for them given how we played them off the park with a large chunk of the first team sitting in the stand and Summer recruitment still to come.

Good post OP. Will remember to like it when they come back on.

Got to laugh at the monumental fuck up they have made of our time away. That Ronny Roar stuff gave me a wee feeling he might be a dud as it's the sort of thing a college baseball coach does but I never expected them to sell all their best players and replace them with signings like Calton Cole. Talk about mismanagement. I think that lot were deeply in the shit themselves. Good thing is they'll look back on this period with more pain than us because they'll be absolutely sick if we lift the cup and are in Europe next season. They might even desert if we won 55 next season. I'm guessing every Rangers fan is much happier with our lot right now than them. Credit to all at the club and the support because we are most definitely back and might even be in better shape than we were when that runt Whyte took over the club. The only way is up for Rangers now.

35 minutes ago, OceanRain said:

Yesterday, for me, had nothing to do with getting into the next round of the Scottish cup. I certainly wasn't shedding tears at the end because we'd made it into a final. I wanted us to lay down a marker. 

While McCoist (and to a lesser extent McDowall and McCall) were in charge we bumbled our way through the lower leagues and capitulated in embarrassing cup exits, a humiliating derby performance and, the last straw, failure to qualify (via the bloody playoffs) for the Premiership last year. Meanwhile, Cel*ic had the house to themselves. League title cake walks, they predicted. European qualification pole position, they thought. Trebles aplenty to collect, said the press. In fact, it had been decided that by the time we got back to top flight football, the gulf between Cel*ic and ourselves would be so vast that even 10-In-A-Row was a distinct possibility, if not a certainty.

And they've fucked it. They've utterly, utterly fucked it.

In that space of time they simply stagnated. Nothing short of that. Stood still and took it for granted that they'd win the league each year and scrape into the group stages of the Champions League by spending as little money as possible while selling off the family silver - in the form of their best players - for as much money as they could get their grubby wee hands on. They also kept costs down by bringing in a woeful management team and yet more questionable signings. A shite team, being led by a clueless manager, being backed by a support who have rapidly dwindled in home attendance on match days and who are (ONCE AGAIN) screaming for bloodshed in the boardroom. 

In complete contrast, Warburton and Weir currently have this team playing the best football in the country. A fast, high-tempo, passing game with a percentage share of possession which is completely dominating. A squad of individuals who collectively play for their jerseys, for the badge, and for the fans. A style of football which Deila had waxed lyrical about bringing to Cel*ic Park and has failed miserably in doing so.

And yet, where has been the praise from the Scottish media? Where were the tributes that were offered up to Hearts last season? Or Hibs this year when it looked like they were "serious title challengers"? (No laughing at the back, please!) How many of the papers gave us a chance yesterday? There was only one group of people willing to admit that we could beat that Cel*ic team - us, the Rangers support. No one else wanted to concede that it was possible. And that's down to either a complete lack of awareness as to what's been happening at Ibrox since The Magic Hat arrived (unlikely) or down to a far more serious and deep-rooted problem within the Scottish press - a hatred for Rangers Football Club. I'll leave you to decide which of those two scenarios it's more likely to be. 

But, fuck them and fuck Cel*ic. Yesterday at Hampden, in possibly the most emotional game I can ever remember, we didn't so much lay that marker down as ram it down their gloating throats. Not just in front of their own supporters, not just in front of the unseeing eyes of the Scottish press, but in front of the world. Yesterday we showed all those watching what we, ourselves, already knew - that the predicted gap between the two sides had failed to materialise. We showed that it had been a complete myth - perpetuated relentlessly by all and sundry - and, in actual fact, we were the better team. After four seasons of imposed exile, here we were playing the champions elect off the pitch at the national stadium. There could be no denying it. It was there for all to see. We were a better footballing side than Cel*ic.

Yesterday wasn't simply the next stage in a cup competition. It was the next stage in the revolution which is re-establishing the order of power in Scottish football. It was a demonstration of the work that's been done, the obstacles overcome, the support that's been unwavering, and the passion which now ripples, once again, through every fibre of this club's being.

It was about announcing, to an audience of millions, that there's still not a team like the Glasgow Rangers.

Great read m8.

OP spot on, couldn't have put it better.

the sheer arrogance that mob have been demonstrating for 4 years "we don't need Rangers" "here we go 10 in a row" etc. All the while they've been utterly shite, getting worse with every passing year yet deluding themselves that they are the best team in the country because they win the league by default, get pumped in Europe and seek any players that actually had any quality and also signing the "best" players from opposing teams to make them weaker trainer than actually provide any benefit to their own squad.

theyve have blown the chance of a lifetime and yesterday confirms just that. We squandered 3 years ourselves but in the appointment of messers Warburton and weir we have managed to get into a great position under the radar (well not really its just no one wanted to acknowledge what we were doing).

Yesterday was important on so many levels and certainly getting into Europe next year is a major achievement assuming we pump mini scum next month, but for me yesterday was payback for the last 4 years and a clear indicator that we are more than ready for 55.

Good stuff 

I've been thinking all day that last years failure was a blessing 

not only has it given mw a year at a lesser level to get his philosophy through to the team 

its held the savilles back and made them even weaker ,losing another 10m reputedly with an overpriced overrated underachieving squad to maintain next season on higher than required wages 

we are a leaner in financial terms squad,hungrier and fitter ,Europa qualification to the group stages gives an extra 8m to the funds while even if they do the same its far less significant ,and in real terms only a break even situation at best 

in my opinion they are in an impossible position as they don't have the freedom to copy us by going for a warburton style manager who can bring in value for money hidden gems ,they won't have the chance that we have had to build a cheaper team under less pressure 

if they tried that we could see a return to the early 90s where they struggled to even qualify for Europe through league position and the downward spiral would continue 

winning the league next season is now achievable with nominal investment and the chance to dominate for the rest of the decade is now possible 

the phrase one step back 2 steps forward has never been more apt in our long proud history and with all the shite  we have had to put up with over the last 5 years it's the least we deserve 

When you consider that Waghorn (a man who scored a third of our goals this season) has been out for two months and that we're operating on a squad so threadbare we didn't have the numbers to make up a full bench on Sunday, it's phenomenal. I'm already excited about the arrivals of Matt Crooks and Josh Windass over the summer. With the prospect of even more signings, I think we're in for another hell of a campaign.

24 minutes ago, A.T.G said:

I just sat on my right baw, squealed like a dug and you still can't get the smile off my face

If it starts to fade just find the video taken from their end as they watch the shoot out. I've never enjoyed a deafening silence within a section of stadium quite so much.

Just now, OceanRain said:

If it starts to fade just find the video taken from their end as they watch the shoot out. I've never enjoyed a deafening silence within a section of stadium quite so much.

Not only did they witness a loss of a semi final, they first hand got a taste of being second best which is something they had forgotten

Your post is tremendous mate, hats off to it, summed up everything that everyone is feeling, from both sets, we are joyous, we are a better team. Not only have you said it but the lurgan bigot, paki bonner and Charlie Nicholas too, never before have I seen a Celtic end at hampden empty to leave a large trail of shite behind them

4 minutes ago, A.T.G said:

Not only did they witness a loss of a semi final, they first hand got a taste of being second best which is something they had forgotten

Your post is tremendous mate, hats off to it, summed up everything that everyone is feeling, from both sets, we are joyous, we are a better team. Not only have you said it but the lurgan bigot, paki bonner and Charlie Nicholas too, never before have I seen a Celtic end at hampden empty to leave a large trail of shite behind them

And hopefully something they're going to have to get used again from here onwards.

Cheers, mate.

2 minutes ago, A.T.G said:

Absolutely spot on. They simply had no scenario in their heads that they would lose yesterday. Let's be honest, they were shown how to play football the proper way by a well coached and disciplined team. Not the first time this season either going by their European displays. They are shitting it for next season without doubt. Over to the board now to support Mark in making the ultimate comeback and getting us back to the top of Scottish football where we belong. 

One other thing: the lego eater was made to look stupid yesterday during the game - but he looked even more thick with that so-called stare down to our boys during the handshakes. Totally over the moon for Halliday and Holt for teaching the arrogant idiot a footballing lesson.

10 minutes ago, davis2804 said:

Absolutely spot on. They simply had no scenario in their heads that they would lose yesterday. Let's be honest, they were shown how to play football the proper way by a well coached and disciplined team. Not the first time this season either going by their European displays. They are shitting it for next season without doubt. Over to the board now to support Mark in making the ultimate comeback and getting us back to the top of Scottish football where we belong. 

One other thing: the lego eater was made to look stupid yesterday during the game - but he looked even more thick with that so-called stare down to our boys during the handshakes. Totally over the moon for Halliday and Holt for teaching the arrogant idiot a footballing lesson.

I was embarrassed for Brown, he was trying to be a thug when we were playing the beautiful game

When the game gets played that way there is only ever one winner

Good always triumphs over evil

1 hour ago, Gary Wilmot's Wedding Brek said:

We've had stacks of praise. Makes you sound a bit of a handwringer I'm afraid not recognising that.

And you sound like you're either an apologist or you mentally qualify for handicapped parking.

Whichever it may be, you have my sympathy.

Beating them was more of a fuck you ..4 years of Scottish football hating us,calling us a new club,demoting us,and trying everything to shut us down and we came back on Sunday with an almighty fuck you we're back and there will be no mercy.

5 hours ago, A.T.G said:

I was embarrassed for Brown, he was trying to be a thug when we were playing the beautiful game

Being a tough guy only works when you can catch tthe players you are meant to be intimidating. The nearest The Lego Muncher got  to Halliday and Holt was at the handshakes. :thumbup: