What do we need for next season?

GOAT

I looked at the stats from Sunday and despite feeling we dominated the game (which we did possession wise), the mhanky mhob still had all the chances on goal.  We defo need a creative midfielder who can find space with defence splitting passes.  We defo need another striker capable of running into these spaces, or finding the space.  We need a tall, strong, pacey centre half aswell IMO.  A defensive midfielder is also a must.  Maybe another winger. 

Other positions we just need cover/competition for etc.  But next season if we're going to have all of the possession against them again we need someone to create something from it, because IMO if we had that on Sunday and a striker that could find that little bit of space we would have destroyed them.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends what stats you read. 

The ever dependent BBC had them at 33 shots at goal which is total rubbish. I count 3 for them in the whole first half.

The priority always will be a CDM, is Crooks the answer for that or is he the 6ft 4 eat your babies CB we need? Who knows. We will need a couple of squad players to make up for hopefully seeing the back of Sheils Law and Clark. We will probably need a quality striker. As much as I love Miller at the moment theres no way he could go 36 games, cups and possibly Europe. 

It's a shame cause it means one or two of MoH Waghorn Miller or McKay will always becon the bench and IMO they all deserve a starting place. 

So to sum up, unless Aird becomes MLS player of the year and has a stormer of a season we need cover at RB. We need a CB a CDM and striker, we need to cover the loss of law sheils and clark, zelalem and ball (who I still think will sign permanently). 

We already have Windass and Crooks so 4 more permanent signings and one or two loans and were more than ready. If out of the 6 permanent signings 4 are of the quality MW has already shown he can pick we will challenge for the league from the first day. We need to be switched on for the first round of away games where every bitter team in this country will give 150% in everything they do and once we beat them it'll go back to normal order restored and lift 55 in 2017

I thought that same mate but have to remember half of that mobs shots came from half way out side the box...

for next season a defensive mid is a priority but also considering how important Tav and Wallace are to our style of play I think we need reasonable cover at RB and LB. 

3 minutes ago, Leeds_Bear said:

I thought that same mate but have to remember half of that mobs shots came from half way out side the box...

for or next season a defensive mid is a priority but also considering how important Tav and Wallace are to our style of play I think we need reasonable cover at RB and LB. 

If we can get a couple of 18-21 year old full backs as cover, but capable of stepping up when and if required it would be brilliant.

Don't think we need another winger Forrester can play either wing and tbh think he's done more than MOH so will be interesting to see who starts next season between the 2 as Mckay is a given to start.

Also if we do sign a striker where does Waghorn fit in ?

If we could find someone who can play RB and LB and a CH i think we're good to go.

Can't wait to see who we get very good and interesting times ahead

People seem to forget the lads we have out on loan who might step up to the plate and become first team regulars, enough people cry out that our Academy players are never given a chance well the experience they will have been gaining actually playing first team football might give them the experience and impetus that they require to make the grade.

We have the two players coming in and I would expect to see another striker and an experienced DM definitely coming in so that would be 4 new players, Hardie could replace Clark and Murdoch could replace Law on top of that another possible couple of loan signings.

Though those numbers would need to be increased for our European campaign next season when we win the Scottish Cup.

We have 3 loanees leaving along with Shiels, Law that are bench regulars, Templeton although he's a waste of space.

We can't have 5 1st team players/regulars leave and a diddy, and bring in 4. We'd have to rely on being extremely lucky with injuries/suspensions. To compete over a league season and 2 cups and possibly the Europa we need more than that.

Forgot about Clark, that's another that will likely leave.

46 minutes ago, MasterD said:

We have 3 loanees leaving along with Shiels, Law that are bench regulars, Templeton although he's a waste of space.

We can't have 5 1st team players/regulars leave and a diddy, and bring in 4. We'd have to rely on being extremely lucky with injuries/suspensions. To compete over a league season and 2 cups and possibly the Europa we need more than that.

Forgot about Clark, that's another that will likely leave.

Clark has another year on his contract, it's unlikely that he will be going anywhere, Shiels has said the club is in talks with his agent, Law hasn't made any comments.

Thank GOD Templetons contract is finally finished.

We will more than likely loose 3 CM's in Shiels, Zelalem & Law so we need another one on top of Windass & Crooks. We definetley require cover for Tav & Wallace it's a miracle neither have been injured so far. We will loose King so we need another higher quality winger to complement McKay, Forrester & O'Hallaron, I would send one of Burt or Walsh out on loan and keep the other. We will need a higher quality replacement for Clark to provide decent cover/competition for Waghorn as I also expect Miller to take a step back this year and take more of a coaching role.

Out--

Cammy Bell

Gedion Zelalem

Nicky Law

Dean Shiels

David Templeton

Billy King

In--

(New Fullback) - One that can play on either side.

(New CB)

Dominic Ball: Loan (hopefully)

Matt Crooks: £50k

(New CM)

Josh Windass: £50k

(New Winger)

(New Striker)

I think its evident we need a strong commanding centre back as every single corner sviatchenko got on to it, and a solid cdm who can sit in front of the defence giving them the cover we have sort of lacked this season when tav/wallace have bombed forward leading to us conceding,  i would also add another striker a tall one who can hold up the ball for our wingers getting into space and for competition for waggy and MOH unless warbuton chooses to keep ryan hardie and give him a chance in the first team unless he gets loaned out again

1 minute ago, gav1991 said:

I think its evident we need a strong commanding centre back as every single corner sviatchenko got on to it, and a solid cdm who can sit in front of the defence giving them the cover we have sort of lacked this season when tav/wallace have bombed forward leading to us conceding,  i would also add another striker a tall one who can hold up the ball for our wingers getting into space and for competition for waggy and MOH unless warbuton chooses to keep ryan hardie and give him a chance in the first team unless he gets loaned out again

Don't expect a tall striker to hit balls upto that isn't Warburtons way he doesn't need a plan B his plan B is to do plan A better. I would expect Hardie to be loaned out again hopefully to a higher level than Raith this time.

Need to be killing matches off more efficiently with our regular two thirds of the possession.  After the first 45 minutes on Sunday we should have been so far ahead that the second half was just killing time till the end.  What to recruit to remedy that I don't know.

But aside from that as the above comment mentions we need a commanding centre half because they were killing us with high balls into the box every time they got the chance.

2 minutes ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

Don't expect a tall striker to hit balls upto that isn't Warburtons way he doesn't need a plan B his plan B is to do plan A better. I would expect Hardie to be loaned out again hopefully to a higher level than Raith this time.

I dnt mean for lumping the ball upto just to recieve a pass and hold ball up for players to advance into space and for crosses into the box we would have height and strength up front

We cant be sentimental with the guys we have. Thats just the way it goes. At times we struggled with Cellics physicality on Sunday so we need to add power and pace right up the spine of the team so the three must haves are CB, CM, CF. We should be able to get quality in - even on Bosmans -  due to the fact we can afford to let a lot of guys go and free up lots in wages. So the bank doesn't need to get broken.

The spending has to be sensible. However if MW wants someone badly and the  selling club wants £1M and DK is offering £150K and we loose him I would not be chuffed.  However thats a bit negative.

• We are the most talked about club in Britain (for good reasons)
  • We are back in the top tier
  • We play good football (Like Barca according to Mo :lol:),
  • Our Managers stock is rising by the day. 
  • We will have freed up plenty on the wage bill.
  • We have the real potential for European football.
  • We are the people.

I think players will jump at joining us now that wouldn't have even 12 months ago.

29 minutes ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

We will more than likely loose 3 CM's in Shiels, Zelalem & Law so we need another one on top of Windass & Crooks. We definetley require cover for Tav & Wallace it's a miracle neither have been injured so far. We will loose King so we need another higher quality winger to complement McKay, Forrester & O'Hallaron, I would send one of Burt or Walsh out on loan and keep the other. We will need a higher quality replacement for Clark to provide decent cover/competition for Waghorn as I also expect Miller to take a step back this year and take more of a coaching role.

Out--

Cammy Bell

Gedion Zelalem

Nicky Law

Dean Shiels

David Templeton

Billy King

In--

(New Fullback) - One that can play on either side.

(New CB)

Dominic Ball: Loan (hopefully)

Matt Crooks: £50k

(New CM)

Josh Windass: £50k

(New Winger)

(New Striker)

Well, that saves me typing! :D

With respect to the "shots on" stats, I said yesterday that they're misleading.  Most of their attempts were from set pieces or distance, not really clear cut.  On that basis I'd guess it as close to even.  We're more inclined to try to create chances from closer in than shoot from distance (exception Barry!).