Hibs win will have no bearing on Scottish Cup final

JFK-1

There is a danger that some Rangers fans may be reading too much into last night’s defeat to Hibs at Easter Road. Despite the old cliche, it was far-removed from being a dress rehearsal for the Scottish Cup final.

Yes, there is the old mantra that at a club the size of Rangers you are expected to win every game, but surely the gargantuan effort expelled by their players just three days prior to last night’s match at Easter Road has earned them a little grace?

The vast majority of Rangers supporters may have grudgingly accepted the loss at Easter Road, and understood the reasons behind it, but there were more than a few supporters criticising the side in the aftermath of the game.  There’s nowt as fickle as the football fan right enough.

Hibs had 24 hours longer to recover from their own 120 minute duel at Hampden, and it was clear that they were just a little (but not markedly) sharper than their opponents on the night.

Mark Warburton may have played down the effects of Sunday’s Old Firm tussle on his players after the match, but it had clearly taken a mental toll as his side’s levels of concentration slipped massively for all three of the goals, especially the first two, that they conceded on the night.

For all intents and purposes, the match was a dead rubber for the Ibrox men, whereas Hibs still have the carrot of trying to avoid two extra matches prior to the cup final by catching Falkirk in second-place in the Championship.  They needed the points more, and that saw them over the line with the aid of some dodgy defending from their fatigued opponents.

Will the result have any bearing on the Scottish Cup final? Of course not.  Hibs may take a slight boost from the win, but they already knew that they had players who could hurt Rangers on their day, and their manager Alan Stubbs is realistic enough to know that the Rangers side he comes up against on the 21st May will be a different animal.

The biggest problem for Mark Warburton may be maintaining his players’ focus and sharpness before the final.  Rangers play their last competitive game prior to the big day on May 1st at St Mirren, almost three weeks before the Hampden showdown.  Despite the old cliche, it was far-removed from being a dress rehearsal for the Scottish Cup final.

All going well for Hibs, they will have competitive football right up to the week of the final and even beyond if they are in the play-off final too.

Of course, you could argue that could have a negative effect on Alan Stubb’s side, but at least he knows his men will be firing on all cylinders throughout the month.

It will be interesting to see how the Rangers boss handles the next three fixtures against Alloa, Livingston and the Saints.  Does he rest his certain starters now in an attempt to keep them fresh, or does he squeeze every last bit of competitive action out of them with the three-week layoff ahead?

Whatever he decides to do, and even if results don’t go well in those fixtures, the Rangers support – as they mainly have - should cut their squad a little slack.

As long as Mark Warburton doesn’t allow complacency to become deep-rooted before the final, they have earned the right to a little respite.

Come May 21st, last night’s result will be forgotten, and we’ll see a contest that gives a truer reflection of both side’s capabilities.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/rangers/14443293.Hibs_win_over_Rangers_will_have_no_bearing_on_Scottish_Cup_final/

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

For us, maybe. But it will give them a bit of belief when we could have stamped authority down on them.

Conceeding 3 goals against that shite.

I'm also slightly concerned that gaining promotion through the play offs would give them a huge psycological lift before the final whilst we will have no meaningfull games before the final!

48 minutes ago, Cobham said:

I'm also slightly concerned that gaining promotion through the play offs would give them a huge psycological lift before the final whilst we will have no meaningfull games before the final!

They might have a few injuries to contend with

1 hour ago, Cobham said:

They can't get promoted before the cup final, the last play-off game is after it. 

6 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Game has absolutely no relevance unless you're a hivee.  They were delighted because it improves their league position.  

No bearing whatsoever on the Cup Final, only a rocket would believe it had.  

Rangers lose meaningless game and the world ends.

We didn't lose it we gifted it to them :pipe: 

Of course it has no bearing on the final, kinda disappointed we couldn't do Falkirk a wee favorer but hey ho, 2 wins against raith and morton and their superior GD will do them, and obv I'm loathe to accept that we gave 3 goals away to that shower of shite as well, but think them going in against us with unrealistic confidence is no bad thing.

8 minutes ago, wewillfollowrangers said:

Of course it has no bearing on the final, kinda disappointed we couldn't do Falkirk a wee favorer but hey ho, 2 wins against raith and morton and their superior GD will do them, and obv I'm loathe to accept that we gave 3 goals away to that shower of shite as well, but think them going in against us with unrealistic confidence is no bad thing.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit if they slipped up again away to Morton on Saturday.

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

Wouldn't surprise me a bit if they slipped up again away to Morton on Saturday.

Not really fussed who finishes where behind us, would like to see Killie beat he championship side in the playoffs.

Hivees  versus Dundee Hivees next season will be hilarious.

7 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Not really fussed who finishes where behind us, would like to see Killie beat he championship side in the playoffs.

Hivees  versus Dundee Hivees next season will be hilarious.

Think I would prefer to see Falkirk get a chance.  They deserve it after doggedly hanging in there the entire season with 2 relative giants to contend with.  If Hibs don't lose any more I think Falkirk will still take the second spot providing they can beat Raith on Saturday night. 

We missed a great opportunity to ensure they had to play 5 play-off games before the cup final but now there is a good chance they will get a week and a half rest and only have 3 games as I don't see them dropping any points in their last 3 games and think Falkirk will not beat RR away.  I am confiodent we will beat them in final but we ahould have made sure they were shattered from having played too much football leading up to the 21st. .

The only thing about that game of any relevance to the cup final was that the same teams will be playing it. I disagree that the result will give Hibs confidence going into the final; and in fact the result will be more beneficial to us because our lads will be up for it and fresher than the spoon burners. The most important thing for Stubbs and his bosses is promotion to the PL, not having 2 games in the Europa and getting pumped senseless then spending another season or two in Div.1

3 hours ago, Ozblue said:

The only thing about that game of any relevance to the cup final was that the same teams will be playing it. I disagree that the result will give Hibs confidence going into the final; and in fact the result will be more beneficial to us because our lads will be up for it and fresher than the spoon burners. The most important thing for Stubbs and his bosses is promotion to the PL, not having 2 games in the Europa and getting pumped senseless then spending another season or two in Div.1

That's my view as well.  The cup is our only remaining priority and it's a major one.  Their priority is promotion which all things being equal is still a very tall order for them given their recent form.  It might even be said the cup is a distraction they could have done without.

3 hours ago, Ozblue said:

Yeah if anything it'll give our players more incentive to win (if they needed it) as they'll want revenge for that match similar to the 4-2 game reaction after losing at ER. Hibs would be mad to prioritise this over playoffs now and with such a conjested fixture list something will have to give in terms of resting players.

Im not going to sugar coat it but they looked like we did on Sun. Hungry. Driven. Where as we looked tired. Tubbs and all the other teams now know how we play. MW doesnt seem to have a plan B. That worries me. We have massive possesion each game but lack the goals.  We have fantasticly fast wingers. We have midfielders that can drive into the box. And an old but fantastic goal scorer. But still lack goals. Id like to see maybe a game where we pass out and let the wingers go for it. And please no more short corners. Ficking waste. But i believe in MW and DW. Awesome combination. Looking forward to the cup final and next year.