Rangers v Arsenal 89.

dougie76

The previous season that we were involved it was actually held in Dubai and we played Everton. I won't mention what happened after the ninety minutes in case any younger posters don't know and want to watch.

What I will say is this fixture was very popular in both countries and had national coverage in England too, as you can tell from John Motson being the match commentator here...

2 minutes ago, WadeWilson said:

The season before it was actually held in Dubai and we played Everton. I won't mention what happened after the ninety minutes in case any younger posters don't know and want to watch.

What I will say is this fixture was very popular in both countries and had national coverage in England too, as you can tell from John Motson being the match commentator here...

That sounds more like Barry Davies.

23 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

That sounds more like Barry Davies.

You're correct. Cheers. I was wondering why I was less irritated than usual while listening.

I can still hear Barry Davies say: 'You have to say that is magnificent' about El Diego's goal of the century against England.

‘He has Burruchaga to his left and Valdano to his left – he doesn’t need – he won’t need any of them… OHH!! You have to say that’s magnificent!’

The point still stands though, I guess. It was a big game in England and Scotland with coverage from both countries' respective broadcasters.

Just now, WadeWilson said:

You're correct. Cheers.

I can still hear him say: 'You have to say that is magnificent' about El Diego's goal of the century against England.

‘He has Burruchaga to his left and Valdano to his left – he doesn’t need – he won’t need any of them… OHH!! You have to say that’s magnificent!’

The point still stands though, I guess. It was a big game in England and Scotland with the countries' respective broadcasters.

Yeah, I remember those! Brilliant commentator.

33 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

Yeah, I remember those! Brilliant commentator.

Good wee article with Mr Davies' best bits. The pass from Valderrama against West Germany is a defence AND midfield splitter.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/04/24/oh-i-say-its-the-10-best-ever-bits-of-barry-davies-football-commentary-4692517/

2 hours ago, centenarystand said:

I watched that at Highbury on the beamback that night and there was a good Rangers support in attendance.

I was at Highbury as well, with my mate.

Parked the car too close to the corner of the road, and after the match couldn't find it. Asked a vendor if they had seen anything and was told it had been towed away.

Had to jump the barrier to get on the tube as was out of cash, then had to convince the twat that I would pay as it was a company car, and I had no credit card. Cost £110 to get it back IIRC.

And we fucking lost.

Sure this was one of my first games but I thought Arsenal won 1-0 and that I saw Ian Wright. My memories worse than yours OP if this was the only year we played them in the late 80s. Can only remember sitting in the Copland thinking our players were gods :) Good find, shall look forward to watching when I get home.

3 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Was at that game in Dubai, remember spending hours in  the Red Lion but recall very little about the match. 

Edit.  Just wathched the video and got a few flashbacks.:lol:

I didn't know of that game, that I remember, and didn't know there was a British Championship. Did it last long?

42 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

I didn't know of that game, that I remember, and didn't know there was a British Championship. Did it last long?

It wasn't a fixed event, more a sporadic unofficial thing as far as I can tell.  There was a match between Rangers and Everton in the early 60's as well.  Possibly two legs if memory serves. 

9 hours ago, Turnberry18 said:

Celtic played Liverpool the year before in Dubai which, I.iRC Liverpool won.  Don't have history other than those two games.  May have been called the Emirates cup, memory is foggy. 

@turnberry18 

Correction, it was the Dubai Champions Cup

The Dubai Champions Cup (originally called theDubai Super Cup) was an annual association football match contested between the champions of the English and Scottish leagues. The competition took place for three consecutive seasons from 1986-87 to 1988-89 in the United Arab Emirates port of Dubai.

The first match took place on 9 December 1986 at the Al Wasl Stadium between English champions Liverpool and Scottish champions Celtic. The match finished 1-1, with Liverpool winning 4-2 on a penalty shoot-out.

English champions Everton and Scottish champions Rangers played the match the following year in December 1987. Rangers came from two goals behind to level the match after 90 minutes at 2-2. This was despite referee Keith Cooperdisallowing six goals for the Ibrox club during the game. Rangers went on to win 8-7 on penalty kicks.[4]

The final match took place on 4 April 1989 at the Al-Nasar Stadium. The competition was now renamed the Dubai Champions Cup and featured the sides that took part in the 1986; Liverpool and Celtic. Once again the match finished level after 90 minutes, 1-1

Was at the Arsenal one. The Everton one I remember. I think it was highlights I saw of that at the time, but I can't remember if there was radio coverage too. Think there might have been.

Reasonably big events in their day. A good idea, really, back in the days when there was no great gap between the top in England and Scotland and before satellite TV moved the goalposts.

8 hours ago, Briton said:

It wasn't a fixed event, more a sporadic unofficial thing as far as I can tell.  There was a match between Rangers and Everton in the early 60's as well.  Possibly two legs if memory serves. 

There were only three Dubai games for the Dubai Super Cup, details in previous post

19 hours ago, dougie76 said:

l have vague memories of this game, anyone there that night and what where they all about? Completely forgot all about it, lm getting old?

The game was a boring as fuck non event .That's how no one ever remembers it .Also Arsenals away kit had me at the Doctors feeling nauseous for the whole month 

18 hours ago, WadeWilson said:

The previous season that we were involved it was actually held in Dubai and we played Everton. I won't mention what happened after the ninety minutes in case any younger posters don't know and want to watch.

Durrant was some player pre injury

1 hour ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

There were only three Dubai games for the Dubai Super Cup, details in previous post

Yes I know.  Rangers and Everton did play what was billed as a 'British Championship' in 1963(ish) though.