U-17 call up for Burt

OceanRain

CRAIG MULHOLLAND is delighted that six Rangers Academy players have been called up to the Scotland under-17 squad competing at the UEFA European Under-17 Championship Finals in Azerbaijan.

Head of Academy Mulholland spoke to the club website today after goalkeeper Kieran Wright, defender Aidan Wilson, midfielders Liam Burt and Jack Thomson and forwards Zak Rudden and Jack Adam were all been named within the squad for the competition.

He said: “We are delighted for the lads selected. To have so many experiencing the finals of the European Championships is great and really assists with our ‘best v best’ objective for young Rangers Academy players.

“To have more players than any other club in the group also demonstrates the potential and exciting times that the Academy and club can look forward to in the coming years.

“Billy McLaren our Academy scout will travel to the Championships so the club can provide any additional support required for the the players and their parents while of course also looking out for potential talent from the other nations.”

The Light Blues are the most represented club within the squad with six Academy players called up and Mulholland is delighted that the players will be challenged against some of the best players in Europe.

He continued: “Our challenge as an Academy is to ensure that we avoid the mistakes often made in Scottish football in the past and we don’t just assume this exciting talent will just continue to develop.

“We need to make sure that we prepare these lads as best we can through the critical transition to the 1st team phase by focussing on overseas cross border challenges, getting as many meaningful 1st team games under their belt prior to challenging in earnest for our own first team, while ensuring they also receive the best possible coaching, sports science, analysis and welfare.

“We need to be innovative and look at each player as an individual project making good decisions on loans, playing v training, etc.

“Our players at U17 are definitely as good as many of the top European nations but as a club, and indeed as a nation, we need to change the environment our players experience from 17 to 20 if we are going to succeed and produce a much higher quality of player.”

Liam Burt captains the Scotland under-17 side and he has also played at under-19 level for his country this season as well as getting his first taste of first team action from the bench at Ibrox.

Mulholland explained: “The really unusual thing is that Jack and Liam have already been involved with the 1st team despite still being U17.

“This demonstrates the clubs new commitment to developing our own players which is supported from the board down through the whole club and most importantly the Managers desire and willingness to include young players, regardless of age, provided they earn it and are showing the required attributes.

“A year in we are only at the start of our Academy project and it will take time for the benefits of our changes, new playing style and new culture to produce greatly improved outcomes.

“That said there is a positive feeling already within the club that there can never have been a more exciting time to be a young Rangers player with the building full of optimism and aspiration. We wish the six lads well on the next step in their journey at the finals.”

http://rangers.co.uk/news/academy-news/mulholland-delight-call-ups/
http://rangers.co.uk/news/academy-news/six-gers-head-euros/

2 hours ago, OceanRain said:

I never thought I would see the day where Rangers are becoming "Best practice" Professional from top to bottom, which I have been screaming about for years.

long may it continue. :thumbup::pipe:

It's a good start but I'm still dubious about even watching Scotland games on the telly as long as the anti-Rangers cretins that run Scottish football remain in place.

I had every intention of going to see the academy team play hertz today, but lost track of time.

The game should be nearly over by now. 14:37

35 minutes ago, Dutchy said:

It's a good start but I'm still dubious about even watching Scotland games on the telly as long as the anti-Rangers cretins that run Scottish football remain in place.

I had every intention of going to see the academy team play hertz today, but lost track of time.

The game should be nearly over by now. 14:37

FT: Hearts U20s 1-0 Rangers U20s (Roy, 72')

Just now, OceanRain said:

FT: Hearts U20s 1-0 Rangers U20s (Roy, 72')

I expected that really, I just wanted to visit the place as I've not been to there academy.

Same goes for hivs new training ground at Ormiston

28 minutes ago, soulboy said:

Are the U17 finals streamed anywhere on the net ? would be good to see how our boys do

7 minutes ago, AlBear85 said:

I read your post wrong. I thought you meant the academy matches. Apologies.

• 2 weeks later...