The Man with the Magic Hat

D'Artagnan

For those of who like me were the product of a strict Brethren upbringing the word ‘Messiah’ is only used exclusively for one character in history, and Him alone. But I don’t think anyone would argue that the arrival of Mark Warburton has been akin to mana from heaven for the long suffering blue legions.

It would probably have been sufficient if the gaffer had come in spent a few shekels on decent tried and tested pros and secured promotion that way back to the top flight.

Perhaps had he laid the foundations of a youthful squad we would have been prepared to even wait a further term to secure promotion as we watched the ‘Warburton Babes’ develop into a promotion winning side.

And perhaps that patience would have been just as evident if we saw the nucleus of a footballing side, playing attractive exciting football which not only took our breath away but was also capable of sweeping aside the opposition.

But no not for Mark Warburton. Not only did he place an emphasis on youth, not only did he establish the nucleus of an exciting, attractive skilful squad, not only did he win the championship at a canter ‘“ he did it all on a shoestring budget. When his team, weakened as it was through injury, then went on to secure a Scottish Cup Final slot disposing of the SPL Champions elect with a brand of football likened to watching Barcelona you begin to understand that something truly magic is happening down Ibrox way ‘“ with or without the now famous ‘magic hat’.

Football honours aside, Mark Warburton has given us back something else ‘“ our pride, our belief, our optimism and our willingness to dare to dream. He has done it based on principles which this club was raised on ‘“ hard work, dedication, professionalism and desire. He exudes a self-belief which is contagious. When doubters suggested we had to vary our play with a Plan B as teams adjusted to the free flowing Rangers ‘“ Warburton stuck to his ideals insisting we just had to do Plan A better.

The man is a class act who knows his football and footballers inside out. His professionalism and discipline made headlines when it was revealed Rangers players are subjected to urine tests to check for dehydration. When these sort of stories are deemed ‘newsworthy’ up in Scotland is it really any small wonder that our nation lags behind the rest of the footballing world?

The gaffer has the necessary ruthless streak required by all successful managers as the talismanic Waghorn discovered last Sunday, where despite his pleas, there was no place on the bench for anyone not deemed fully fit. No room for sentiment nor favourites.

Mark Warburton and Rangers were made for one another. The two share a football philosophy based on hard work, desire and dedication, his values reflect the values of our club with both having a burning ambition to bring greater success to Rangers Football Club.

Mark Warburton is on record as saying ‘I would love to be here for a long time’

Funnily enough so would we gaffer.

7 minutes ago, bombaybadboy08 said:

Great read, D'Art.

I wouldn't be so sure with the patience part though after the hissy fits on Weds night :lol:

That's what happens when expectations rise. When Warburton came in we were on our arse and just wanted change.

Just now, brazz1972 said:

That's what happens when expectations rise. When Warburton came in we were on our arse and just wanted change.

We also said we would be patient if we had a young squad, things were looking better behind the scenes and we started to scout players who would make us money when selling on again.

Some people need to remember that not only has that been delivered, but 2 trophies the previous manager would have had to buy outright to get his hands on them are also heading for our trophy cabinet.

Oh, and the small matter of beating celt*c while we're a division below them.

If Mark Warburton complained of having sweaty balls, I would give them a wipe over with a sponge for him.

Just now, bombaybadboy08 said:

We also said we would be patient if we had a young squad, things were looking better behind the scenes and we started to scout players who would make us money when selling on again.

Some people need to remember that not only has that been delivered, but 2 trophies the previous manager would have had to buy outright to get his hands on them are also heading for our trophy cabinet.

Oh, and the small matter of beating celt*c while we're a division below them.

If Mark Warburton complained of having sweaty balls, I would give them a wipe over with a sponge for him.

I totally agree. I just mean the fan base in general.

25 minutes ago, Moody Blue Legend said:

Good read, D'Art. (tu)

It was only Mo Jo who compared us to Barca though, and he looked half pished! :D

Mentioned couple of times during the game that Mo looked bevvied, no one took me up on it, glad you noticed.

As for the D'Art piece, MW is not the Messiah he's just a very naughty boy.  Sorry couldn't resist that.

Anyhow D'Art is right in his description of the character traits admired by MW, we used to call that Protestant Work Ethic.

40 minutes ago, bombaybadboy08 said:

Great read, D'Art.

I wouldn't be so sure with the patience part though after the hissy fits on Weds night :lol:

The panty-wetters on this board are best ignored though. They're not a fair representation of the support in general, just spoiled kiddies who would find something to greet about, even if we were genuinely Barcelona-like.

The wider support has shown a lot of patience with our occasional wee slip up in standards. Most understand, as D'Art points out, that Warburton has been doing great things on a shoestring and with inexperienced players.

I haven't felt this excited about the possibilities at Rangers for almost 30 years.

Great read D'Art. My own personal favourite is the camaraderie that he has brought to the dressing room. You can tell these boys are just drinking it in and loving every minute being here. They trust him and he trusts them. Its a great feeling knowing the squad harmony is so high. Its a far cry from the attitude of the overpaid and disjointed teams that came before.