On My Way To The Game Today.

WCPRANGERS1

Got on the number 9 in Jamaica St and just managed to get a seat at the front with my dad. Old guy behind us says "You got lucky there".

It was obvious we were headed to the game and a couple of seconds later the guy asks "Do you no who I am?" "No", I reply and ask my dad if he does, he shakes his head so out of curiosity we ask who.

Old boy says to my amazement "I'm Johnny Hubbard."

At 1st I doubted it but then start to notice his accent which makes me start to think it may be him.

Got talking and I asked he he enjoyed the SF he said "It was ok but it shouldn't have gone to penalties"

He then goes on to talk about how when he came over he had said he'd return to SA to stay but when he finished up he came back to stay in Scotland.

Told me a wee story that when he made his debut Sammy Cox told him when he got the ball he had to pass it to him. He did the 1st time but the 2nd time Sammy was covered so he ran up the wing sent a ball in to the box and we scored. When making his way back up the pitch he headed to Sammy and said "Now you pass the ball to me".

Getting off of the bus I shook his hand wished him well. My dad 24 years younger shook his hand and told him it was a privilige to meet him to which Johnny replied "No it's my privilige...especially meeting a fan older than me!"

Such an honour to meet the man and hear those tales.

On my way to the match I came off the 74 at Scotland st and Nicola Sturgeon was in the motor next to me at the lights at the bottom of the ramp, I lulled her into a false sense of sucuriuty by smilling, she waved and smilled back jusy as my hand popped up with two fingers sticking up and my tongue automatically stuck out, childish for a 60 year old yes but the look on her face was worth it.

4 minutes ago, piperpete said:

On my way to the match I came off the 74 at Scotland st and Nicola Sturgeon was in the motor next to me at the lights at the bottom of the ramp, I lulled her into a false sense of sucuriuty by smilling, she waved and smilled back jusy as my hand popped up with two fingers sticking up and my tongue automatically stuck out, childish for a 60 year old yes but the look on her face was worth it.

What you doing on a school bus?

20 minutes ago, piperpete said:

I am so jealous. I would give my eye teeth to fuck sturgoen off. You sir are a lucky man.

16 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Guess he is the oldest living Ranger.  His birthday is December, would be nice for the dans/club to do  something in recognition. 

Or invite him as guest of honour to the cup final and dedicate the win to him.

Or at least get the guy a taxi to protect him from father and sons not letting him just sit And take IN the scenery on his way to the game.:001:

25 minutes ago, piperpete said:

Or at least get the guy a taxi to protect him from father and sons not letting him just sit And take IN the scenery on his way to the game.:001:

We got up (like the gentlemen we are) to let 2 women have the seats because the bus was mobbed, when they got off we sat back down and he said "Oh I thought you'd away and left me".

Ive spoken to several players over the years but have to admit this was a genuine WOW moment,to meet someone from that era and of that status was just brilliant. 

He used to train the Rangers boys down in Ayr, I met him a few times then. A gentleman and a great player in his day. It's sad that too many younger fans will have never of heard of him.