Zelalem v Alloa

TMB

There is a player in there and should bulk up awe bit over the next couple of seasons.

Obvioysly has huge self belief given his penalty against the mhanks and if you noticed yesterday he grabbed the ball straight away at ours yesterday only for Halliday  to say it was his.

His movement is excellent IMO and will probably go on to play at a decent level. 

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By the same logic that people think he only gets stick because he is a young arsenal player, i think he gets away with a lot because he is a young arsenal player. If your good enough you are old enough. He is supposed to be a young international who is apprently ranked in the fifa top 50 young players in the world. He should be able to cope with the scottish first division, at times against part time players. Too often he gives the ball away, he is no use in a tackle and at times actually looks completely uninterested, cant strike a ball either. He is Ok bringing him on against someone pish when 4-0 up and he can stroll about the middle playing square balls and doing that shoulder drop step over. Imo if he was a 19 year old tipped for big things with us and getting as much game time as he is 99% of fans would think he isnt good enough and/or not ready yet.

Do we like him this week then?

Technically this boy is one of the best at the club,3 or 4 years down the line we'll be wondering how we even managed to get him on loan. He'll play at the very top.

Nicky Law is pyoor better though :rolleyes:

It's near impossible to play a killer pass through a 10 man defence. So he sprayed it around as he knows he can't shoot for toffee. It was our other players that didn't do what they are good at. 

If he can work on his shooting then he'll become a more exciting player that fans can really take to. 

7 minutes ago, Glasgowrangersafc said:

By the same logic that people think he only gets stick because he is a young arsenal player, i think he gets away with a lot because he is a young arsenal player. If your good enough you are old enough. He is supposed to be a young international who is apprently ranked in the fifa top 50 young players in the world. He should be able to cope with the scottish first division, at times against part time players. Too often he gives the ball away, he is no use in a tackle and at times actually looks completely uninterested, cant strike a ball either. He is Ok bringing him on against someone pish when 4-0 up and he can stroll about the middle playing square balls and doing that shoulder drop step over. Imo if he was a 19 year old tipped for big things with us and getting as much game time as he is 99% of fans would think he isnt good enough and/or not ready yet.

Absolute nonsense. Stick to watching netball.

8 hours ago, Laudrup1984 said:

I think another point to note is, the young boy has been hyped up by Arsenal, USA and a number of high profile football/soccer publications/players/ex players/managers etc as being the real deal, the next big thing. As such, and before he even came here, some, understandably, but probably unfairly were expecting him to be Messi, beat 4 or 5 players and ping one into the top corner every week. In reality, that's not his game nor his style and it's not his fault many are talking him up so highly. He's just a young boy trying to learn his trade. And if you compare him to Ball for example, Ball almost arrived without anyone knowing, with little or no expectation. However, I think he's done fine too just like Zelalem. As expectations for both were at opposite ends of the scale though, some of us can unfairly, maybe even sub consciously see things differently. If Zelalem arrived in a similar manner to Ball I think the majority of fans would say he's been a success IMO.

Yip. 

Also have to remember that Zelalem is a year and a half younger than Ball. He's the youngest regular in the squad by that 1 1/2 year gap. He's had a year and a half less development time than Ball and much less than everyone else. And someone said he's produced less than the rest of the squad. Well, given his age that's not all that surprising.

And the comparisons to Murdoch? Murdoch was a year older when he started to play regularly. Murdoch doesn't have the technique and awareness and has little chance of being a player at a high level. Zelalem does.

We have to remember where the likes of McKay, Hutton and Adam were at that stage in their careers. None of them were as advanced as Zelalem. Even Ferguson wasn't. 

Zelalem has to add creativity and incisiveness to his game if he's going to be a player, but I don't see why he can't as he matures, and he has plenty of time to mature quite alot. He has a good technical base, and a good temperament to start from. 

4 minutes ago, Sket said:

Absolute nonsense. Stick to watching netball.

What part of what i said was nonsense pal? Does he not give the ball away too often? Would you say he is decent in a tackle? Would you say he strikes a ball well? Would you say he always look up for it and determined in the middle of the park. Do you think he has been good enough this year as a first team player? If so then you eyes must be painted on ma man ????

Clearly a good player but he needs more strength in those legs, far too easy to muscle off the ball but I like what he can bring and will be interesting if we try to bring him back..........not sure the lad will be up for it though because the crowd are unfairly on his back.

9 hours ago, IanBlack8 said:

No 19 year old that I've ever watched has the swagger he has, honestly think he will be a brilliant player for arsenal. Well done today wee man. 

I beg to differ with that. Barry Ferguson had more of a swagger at that age and the ability to back it up. 

23 minutes ago, Glasgowrangersafc said:

What part of what i said was nonsense pal? Does he not give the ball away too often? Would you say he is decent in a tackle? Would you say he strikes a ball well? Would you say he always look up for it and determined in the middle of the park. Do you think he has been good enough this year as a first team player? If so then you eyes must be painted on ma man ????

He very rarely gives the ball away,actually ball retention is one thing he is incredibly effective at. No he doesn't shoot much but who does,we seldom hit shots from outside the box,instead we try to pass our way into the net. Lightweight,yes but he's still a boy. He's not a Viera or Toure. He's a slight,technically sound footballer who will get better with age. The boy is a player.

15 minutes ago, 1690tamRFC said:

I beg to differ with that. Barry Ferguson had more of a swagger at that age and the ability to back it up. 

Barry was special. Bossing the world's best at a very young age.

7 minutes ago, Sket said:

Barry was special. Bossing the world's best at a very young age.

Yeah, but even then, at Zelalem's age Barry wasn't doing much either. Not surprising, because it's still very young. He was a year older when he started bossing European teams.

1 minute ago, Inigo said:

Yeah, but even then, at Zelalem's age Barry wasn't doing much either. Not surprising, because it's still very young.

By the time Zelalem is 22-23 he will be an established Premiership midfielder who will be millions upon millions of pounds out of our price range. 

1 minute ago, Sket said:

By the time Zelalem is 22-23 he will be an established Premiership midfielder who will be millions upon millions of pounds out of our price range. 

That would be my guess too. 

13 minutes ago, Sket said:

He very rarely gives the ball away,actually ball retention is one thing he is incredibly effective at. No he doesn't shoot much but who does,we seldom hit shots from outside the box,instead we try to pass our way into the net. Lightweight,yes but he's still a boy. He's not a Viera or Toure. He's a slight,technically sound footballer who will get better with age. The boy is a player.

Aye, when the ball is in our half and he is playing square passes then, aye he keeps  the ball but going forward i think to often his pass goes astray. As i said its just my opinion but i base it not on zelalems potential future career but what he has done so far as a rangers player and again i'll say in my opinion he hasnt done very much and if he was a young rangers player coming through getting as much game time. Most would deem him not good enough or ready. I think we would have been just as well giving jordan thompson his game

I like him. He is the kind of player who can control the pace of the game, not many players have that in their locker.

Only criticism is, he sometimes slows the pace down at the wrong time, and thats where the groans in the crowd come from, Thats down to a lack of experience, A few have said he can't handle the 100 mph of Scottish football and I get that. I think he has the potential and skills to be a great player. Our fans are not ones for patience tho. He reminds me of a young Barry Ferguson with more skill but less grit and determination. Wouldn't mind seeing him in a Rangers strip in 6/7/8 years time.

9 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

People are genuinely blind if they can't see that there is a player in him,we're famous for giving out dogs abuse when it comes to younger players if they don't immediately start playing out of their skin for us.

Who knows where he could end up in years to come.

everyone can see there is a player in him, its just a pity that the player cant get out because there is a skinny wee pussy of a body stopping him

when he came on against hibs how many times did a hibs midfielder simply blow him aside with a gust of wind, he's far too lightweight and powderpuff for our game, even in the top division he will be, he hasnt got the build or the bravery for up here

he would be more suited in a european league where it isnt 100mph, he just isnt strong enough for our game, and tbh its not 100% his fault, scottish football is just so shite that players of his build and mentality dont cut it

5 minutes ago, Glasgowrangersafc said:

Aye, when the ball is in our half and he is playing square passes then, aye he keeps  the ball but going forward i think to often his pass goes astray. As i said its just my opinion but i base it not on zelalems potential future career but what he has done so far as a rangers player and again i'll say in my opinion he hasnt done very much and if he was a young rangers player coming through getting as much game time. Most would deem him not good enough or ready. I think we would have been just as well giving jordan thompson his game

Bump this thread in 3 years then you will see how wrong you are.

20 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Yeah, but even then, at Zelalem's age Barry wasn't doing much either. Not surprising, because it's still very young. He was a year older when he started bossing European teams.

different kettle of fish with fergie, he always had the ability, walter just didnt give him the chance because the push for 9 and then 10iar

fergie didnt need bled into wee dicks team, advocaat seen what he had and threw him into the middle of the park in his first game and left him there for 4 years

9 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

People are genuinely blind if they can't see that there is a player in him,we're famous for giving out dogs abuse when it comes to younger players if they don't immediately start playing out of their skin for us.

Who knows where he could end up in years to come.

This is spot on, in about 5 years that young lad will be playing in the EPL or Spain or somewhere like for one of these so called big clubs, football is hanging out of him 

Just now, Jimbeamjunior said:

whats the point, if zelalem is still here in 3 years then aye, but what he has produced this season we could have had our own youths players doing, least we own them

Clearly the ones we own aren't good enough yet otherwise they would be on the pitch instead of Zelalem. Unless of course you think the gaffer is wrong? 

Warburton knows best. He rates the boy highly,don't be surprised to see him back next season.