Zelalem v Alloa

TMB

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on how he played today.  He was passing the ball around again and seems very composed in doing so.  He did lose it a couple of times but busted his arse chasing it down and won it back again which was great to see.  He was shooting more than usual and I have a feeling he was told to do that.  Came close with some of his shots but it wasn't his day today.  The people around me were on his back today and I feel like this level of criticism isn't deserved.  He's 18, he's still learning, his game time has been limited, but he's done pretty well for us overall.  This kid could've went to any number of clubs but decided to play for Rangers, even in the Championship.  Personally, I do hope we comes back next season. 

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought he was one of our better players. Struggled to break down their defence as the whole team did.  Looked more confident when shooting today. Think the fact he's so casual makes him easy to criticise. 

In my opinion, from what I've seen the lad definitely has potential, but he definitely isn't suited to the Scottish game. He's far too lightweight and struggles play his natural game because of the hammer throwers. A loan to the English Championship/League 1 I reckon is his next move.

Was one of the best games I have seen him play.  Looked up for it, got involved a lot and didn't hide.

Even took a few cracks at goal for a change.   I don't see him going on to be a world beater, but I think he will do well in football, he has bags of potential and seems to play some great passes.

Guest Lloyd72

If he was scottish people would be comparing him to Iniesta, he's a great possession player and suits our system well. Takes some bottle to play for rangers consistently at 19, especially coming from a club like Arsenal with a reputation as one of the best young midfielders in europe.

7 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on how he played today.  He was passing the ball around again and seems very composed in doing so.  He did lose it a couple of times but busted his arse chasing it down and won it back again which was great to see.  He was shooting more than usual and I have a feeling he was told to do that.  Came close with some of his shots but it wasn't his day today.  The people around me were on his back today and I feel like this level of criticism isn't deserved.  He's 18, he's still learning, his game time has been limited, but he's done pretty well for us overall.  This kid could've went to any number of clubs but decided to play for Rangers, even in the Championship.  Personally, I do hope we comes back next season. 

Thought he did pretty well last week & was no worse than the rest today.

Not helped by Halliday being 'so so' & nothing much going right for Holt - both too worried about their own games to give him much support.

Still needs to have a 'taking the game by the scruff of the neck' moment, but did get a bit more 'dig' into his shooting on a couple of occasions (less said about his last effort, the better!). 

I thought he did well today, certainly bettered Halliday and Holt IMO. He has a swagger about him that I like and has the ability to go left or right, can turn on a sixpence, isn't afraid to keep the ball and has a great awareness of what's around him for one so young. I think he'll absolutely have a successful career, how high that may be though remains to be seen.

Personally, I've never quite understood the criticism he gets, and he does seem to receive some unfair treatment. If Holt, Halliday, Tav, Waghorn, McKay, Wallace etc make a mistake (which is fine IMO), they're unlucky, good effort, keep it up, nice try etc but if it's Zelalem, or Clark, or Law for example there is somewhat of an overreaction, almost hypocritical stance IMO and you can feel, and hear the frustration, moans and groans within a minority of the support. 

Of course it's all about opinions but for a young lad, on loan for what i'd imagine hasn't broken the bank, I think he's brought value to the club for which we and he has benefited from. He has so much to learn but I think he's done fine. I'd take him back next season if the option was available.

I don't get the criticism he gets tbh. He came on last week , a youngster , and the big occasion didn't faze him , cant  think once where he gave the ball away . Today , he was my best player. 

Sometimes get the feeling he's too ahead of everyone else. 

Some might have missed his recent interview about staying next season:

He said: “Firstly I'm going to go back to pre-season with Arsenal and see how I do there. If it doesn't work out there then this is another option."

"I haven't spoken to the gaffer here yet about it but I'm sure that conversation will come up."

“This is what I wanted in football to play in these types of games and big derbies be it Arsenal v Tottenham or Rangers v Celtic,” he added