Windass and Crooks goal stats

I looked at an Accrington fan forum recently and found the thread concerning Rangers getting Windass and Crooks and at that time 5 of the Windass goals were penalties according to them but that doesn't take anything away from his scoring exploits.

They were looking to get at least 2 to 3 million for the pair even with only 6 months left on their contracts so you can imagine how pissed off they were when it was Rangers who swooped in to take them which meant they would get a relative pittance.

In their view Crooks is the greatest loss, they rate him very highly.

I havent seen enough of these  2 players to judge. I refuse to place any substance on youtube clips. I tend to believe that half of any players brought in will be successes, half will be less than stellar. Though it has to be said MW success rate is better than most. I suppose what im saying is that I expect at least one of these guys to be good enough to be almost an automatic starter next season and one of them more of a squad player. Ive no idea which of the two will be the star for us.

2 minutes ago, North Antrim Bear said:

Just can't get excited about League 2 players, but I trust the gaffer.

For me mate we will only have top players if we develop them or sign them on the way up....once they are established elsewhere they are out of our  £ bracket.  Young guys, no reason they cannot develop into top notch.  Lets hope so.

25 minutes ago, markem said:

For me mate we will only have top players if we develop them or sign them on the way up....once they are established elsewhere they are out of our  £ bracket.  Young guys, no reason they cannot develop into top notch.  Lets hope so.

:541: Hope so, buddy. 

20 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

So who's place in the team does Windass take, as some feel he's walking into our 11?

Holt or Halliday, has to be one of those?

Wouldn't like to guess but he plays as a secondary striker at Accrington, we don't have that here at Rangers due to the formation, good chance he could play through the middle ahead of Miller ? 

McKay  Windass   Waghorn ? 

1 minute ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Be interesting to see what position the manager thinks will be the best for Crooks and Windass as both are pretty versatile. I might be wrong here but I thought Josh's natural position was in midfield? An attacking midfield position?

Attacking Mid/secondary striker same thing in my book.

11 minutes ago, cumnockbear said:

Wouldn't like to guess but he plays as a secondary striker at Accrington, we don't have that here at Rangers due to the formation, good chance he could play through the middle ahead of Miller ? 

McKay  Windass   Waghorn ? 

I'd say that is the most realistic option mate 

Just now, 1690tamRFC said:

I'd say that is the most realistic option mate 

I'd say so myself,Tommy. Accrington play 4-4-1-1 windass sits second striker/attacking mid what ever you want to call it behind the main striker Kee, i can't see where he would accommodate in a 4-3-3 in midfield especially playing a defensive mid.

9 minutes ago, cumnockbear said:

I'd say so myself,Tommy. Accrington play 4-4-1-1 windass sits second striker/attacking mid what ever you want to call it behind the main striker Kee, i can't see where he would accommodate in a 4-3-3 in midfield especially playing a defensive mid.

He will have to impress pre-season to take Nicky Clark's spot up front though bud, big things from the wee man next year ?

21 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Be interesting to see what position the manager thinks will be the best for Crooks and Windass as both are pretty versatile. I might be wrong here but I thought Josh's natural position was in midfield? An attacking midfield position?

As you say they are versatile and MW wants players who can play multiple positions. IMO, I see Windlass as more of a front three player but I'm sure Warburton would say he can play 7, 8, 10 and 11. We've seen McKay and Forrester play in CM this year. People need to get this 'natural position' idea out their head. In general we are in the market for talented footballers able to play multiple positions.

2 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

People have valid reasons to have some concerns over players not playing in their natural position though, the prime example would be Andy Halliday. Haven't you stuck up for Andy stating DM isn't his natural position and he will only get better in his preferred role next season? 

As pointed out by cumnockbear, our system doesn't have a position that seems to suit Windass, maybe he can play and perform out-wide, I'm not sure as I've not seen enough of the boy. But MOH has struggled playing in a wide right role in our formation which gives substance as reason for debating this subject. There's probably a hand full of fans on here who've seen Crooks and Windass perform rather than video highlights.

What's his natural position? LM? LW? LB? CM? Halliday is a good example of the type of players MW likes. Adaptable.

When he signed I thought he was a Left midfielder and defended the criticism of him at DM early doors. I think he has done a good job generally in that position though and we have looked better with Andy at DM than Ball this season. 

6 minutes ago, AlBear85 said:

What's his natural position? LM? LW? LB? CM? Halliday is a good example of the type of players MW likes. Adaptable.

When he signed I thought he was a Left midfielder and defended the criticism of him at DM early doors. I think he has done a good job generally in that position though and we have looked better with Andy at DM than Ball this season. 

Spot on mate, Halliday offers so much more than Ball in that position