Summer bids for our players

13 hours ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Think we would accept a bid of £2m for some of our players? Would we be correct in doing so?

Unless there was something better which could be acquired for the fee which seems unlikely since if there were anything better for that amount you would think the buyer would go for him instead I don't think it would be a good idea to sell anyone who is going to be a first choice right now and who still have 2, 3, or 4 years left on their contract.

We're trying to get into our first year back in the SPL with the core of a settled team who are already well coached on and accustomed to our style of play.  Selling them off could be like starting over again when we could hold on to them for at least another season and still make a good profit and maybe even a better profit if they excel at the higher level and in Europe.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, chris182 said:

£6m+ probably this summer, more if he reproduces the same next season

If somebody offered 6m in the Summer they would probably take it though maybe not because the manager certainly wouldn't want to let him go and I suspect what he wants must carry some weight at this time.  I would prefer to wait till next Summer when presuming we make Europe and he performs well there the price could rise to 10m+

If we let someone go for 2 or 3 mil though, I would have full confidence that the manager would spend 50% of that on a player better than we already had. If he can acquire the likes of Tarkowski and Gray for around 750k combined, then I can only dream of what he could get with 1.5mil

16 hours ago, Tav's Bandage said:

Depends on signings mate, would hope the players we bring in are of a much better level than guys like Holt and Halliday.

Trying to balance being realistic with expectation but i dont even think players like Waghorn should be guaranteed a place never mind poorer players like Halliday.

Whats your thoughts?.

Halliday's not been right since he put the bheggars midfield 5 in his back pocket.

Clown.

If the final choice came down to Warburton, I'm sure he is more equipped to judge what is a good deal for the club, etc. especially, given his financial experience. 

In saying that, I really hope we don't sell anyone, unless it is for silly money. Like someone else said, the tarriers have been overvaluing their players for years and getting away with it - something we should do. 

Our strategy has to be to develop, sell and reinvest.

Folk need to get their heads round it that all clubs in Scotland need to sell to survive, we'll be no different.

Maximising the sale value is the crucial bit. So many factors come into play. But some of our best players will move on, likely from next summer, it has to happen.

1 hour ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Our strategy has to be to develop, sell and reinvest.

Folk need to get their heads round it that all clubs in Scotland need to sell to survive, we'll be no different.

Maximising the sale value is the crucial bit. So many factors come into play. But some of our best players will move on, likely from next summer, it has to happen.

This is exactly how it will be, with very little income from TV and sponsorship our main income stream is season tickets and with the club in the top flight next season with an increase in season ticket  prices we should turn around our financial losses of recent years and get closer to breaking even or making a small profit.

So, for the club to continue to grow (and not rely on soft loans from investors) and invest in new players, current players will have to be moved on for maximum value. I don't see this happening this summer but from January onwards it will start to become the norm, most players will stay for a maximum of 2 years move on for a healthy profit and will be replaced by players from the youth ranks and players recruited from other clubs at much smaller fees.

I think McKay may be first to go, with him only signing a 1 year extension (currently under contract for just over 2 years) I think his agent is already looking to move him on, his maximum value will probably be reached in January if his current rate of development continues after that his values decreases as his contract length decreases.

Selling players for a handsome profit is great but selling them for a handsome profit when it suits the club is even better.  

At the moment I don't think it suits Rangers to sell any of the top performers (unless MW has a replacement up his sleeve).

8 minutes ago, Tav's Bandage said:

You honestly think Holt will be a regular starter next year?.

If guys at the level of Holt and Halliday are regulars next year then we wont win the league.

Aye Warburton has just gave them 4 year deals just to make you look like the absolute clown that you are.

Get it up ye.

13 minutes ago, Tav's Bandage said:

You honestly think Holt will be a regular starter next year?.

If guys at the level of Holt and Halliday are regulars next year then we wont win the league.

I wouldn't expect Holt or Halliday next year to be at the same level as Holt and Halliday this year. They'll be better and the team will be better.

You seem to be approaching this as though we don't develop or improve players. I'd argue that nearly all of the young guys brought in over the last 12 months are better now than they were when they joined. Most will continue to improve so it seems a bit hasty to be writing them off already.

13 minutes ago, TheMotor said:

I wouldn't expect Holt or Halliday next year to be at the same level as Holt and Halliday this year. They'll be better and the team will be better.

You seem to be approaching this as though we don't develop or improve players. I'd argue that nearly all of the young guys brought in over the last 12 months are better now than they were when they joined. Most will continue to improve so it seems a bit hasty to be writing them off already.

Possibly not and i dont deny that they will be squad players given Warburton keeps a smaller squad, however i just feel we need better quality in there, dont see what others see in Halliday at all clearly...

As i said in the thread previously maybe i expect too much soon but i hope for better next year.

10 hours ago, Tav's Bandage said:

Possibly not and i dont deny that they will be squad players given Warburton keeps a smaller squad, however i just feel we need better quality in there, dont see what others see in Halliday at all clearly...

As i said in the thread previously maybe i expect too much soon but i hope for better next year.

Did we not win this league at a cantor? Did we not outplay and completely dominate the scum, (supposed creme of Scottish football), and play Dundee off the park before that game? All with this team that you say isn't good enough.

Have you not watched us play this year? We have a team just now more than capable of challenging next season, but we are strengthening, so it can only get better.

10 hours ago, Tav's Bandage said:

Halliday ran the midfield against, 'the best team in the country'.