Summer bids for our players

This is something that's not really been discussed. I imagine the performances of the likes of Tavernier, Holt, Waghorn ect will attract some interest from clubs down south. Obviously Warburton won't want to sell our key players, and the squad seem a really tight-knit bunch, however do we reckon we could see any departures if any good offers come in?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, BF2 said:

Obviously Warburton won't want to sell our key players, and the squad seem a really tight-knit bunch, however do we reckon we could see any departures if any good offers come in?

Yes but they would have to be ridiculous offers,there's no point in selling any of our best players atm when we could do it in a couple of years down the line when hopefully we're back in the CL.

Maximum value should be the focus here,obviously I'd like to see our players stay here for the rest of their careers but we have to remember that when it comes to most footballers,money talks.

The way the guys talk I highly doubt any of MW signings will leave, especially the ones on the same 3 year contract as him. Like Fod said when MW was apparently linked with Fulham, can't see the manager selling this place and 3 year project then leave before its complete. 

My problem is with Mckay. His agent obviously knows he will hit the heights, hence the year extension and not a 2-4 year deal. I'd be gutted if he left for buttons because of his small contract

6 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Yes but they would have to be ridiculous offers,there's no point in selling any of our best players atm when we could do it in a couple of years down the line when hopefully we're back in the CL.

Maximum value should be the focus here,obviously I'd like to see our players stay here for the rest of their careers but we have to remember that when it comes to most footballers,money talks.

I agree it would have to be very generous offers. I don't see any reason why anyone would want to leave before at least having a crack at winning the Premiership.

No offence to them, but Tav, Kiernan and Waghorn's career was going nowhere in England. Now they've arrived at Rangers where they are getting regular first team football, winning medals and trophies, the best chance they will ever have to play Champions League football and (most importantly) the adulation of 50,000 of the world's greatest fans every other week.

Unless they are cash mercenaries (which they don't seem to be) and as long as the club give them a deal they are happy with, then I can't see why they would want to leave just yet.

I am not sure any of them would be keen to go - Warburton is very clever about who he signs.  Several of these guys showed real early promise yet spent the last few years either not featuring or bouncing from club to club.  Take a look at them now, playing for Rangers and all that goes with that, careers progressing, trophies being won, potential European football already and stability - its probably the happiest point of many of their careers.  Don't get me wrong we might still accept a bid but I think it would need to be hugely appealing to the club and player for anything to progress.  What a incredible turn around in our position.

Can't see many being all that interested until they've done it more consistently in the top division tbh. I think we might have more of a problem at the end of next season. 

As long as we sell players with a few years on their contract, so we get a good price, it's all good.

I can't see any teams down south signing them after one season in the Scottish championship. I reckon next season though there could be a bit of interest in our players if they perform to a similar standard. 

I would get them on new deals with minimum transfer fee clauses inserted asap. 

The end of next season is more likely than this one imo.

If our players can do it in the top league consistently, and hopefully a decent European run, then they'll attract bids.

Huge improvement needed at the club to raise profiles of players the way the bheggars do with their conveyor belt of 5m quid sales of average players. 

2 minutes ago, folkestoneger said:

We will see how serious our board are by their reaction to any decent bid. 

I don't think that's a fair place to put the board in to be honest, as far as any club in Scottish football stands the now any serious bid would have to be considered, it's just the way it is 

1 minute ago, 1690tamRFC said:

I don't think that's a fair place to put the board in to be honest, as far as any club in Scottish football stands the now any serious bid would have to be considered, it's just the way it is 

I agree if it was a stupid bid but not if it was only a decent one. If we are to progress we need to set out a marker .

If we don't receive any bids or interest for our players or Warburton then something is seriously wrong. The reality is that we've lit this season up beyond expectation and if there is no interest other clubs have not being doing their job properly. Therefore I expect lots of real interest but even more made up speculation from the press to unsettle us. We should prepare ourselves for this but that doesn't mean anyone will leave.

Regardless of interest I don't see any top player leaving. I can't see any players joining a huge club like ours, having an incredible season, playing under a great manager, in front of thousands and thousands of fans week in week out, playing week in week out consistently, winning games, winning trophies, playing attractive footbal, being treated like gods and this is ONLY in the championship! Next season there is the Carrott of higher level, old firm games, possible champions league football qualification, better players coming in, more exposure, possibly better contracts etc! 

If they think this season was amazing, then they better strap in for next season!

22 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Think we would accept a bid of £2m for some of our players? Would we be correct in doing so?

Yes. It's just the sad reality of the market in Scotland, if we got two million for McKay it would be good business (obviously I'd rather he stayed) but if he was playing in English football you could times that figure by ten due to the crazy inflated prices they cunts are willing and able to pay. 

I can see a few bids coming in for McKay and if it's bids coming from downsouth I can imagine it would be hard for us to turn them down if the boy see the £ signs. Just hope we can keep ahold of the main players.

In an ideal world bids would be coming in for Bell etc. and they would be off bud I don't see that happening.