Warburton hopes to complete the majority of signings by June 18th

MasterD

MARK WARBURTON hopes to complete the majority of his summer shopping by the time Rangers return to pre-season action this summer.

The Ibrox boss has already clinched moves for Accrington Stanley pair Matt Crooks and Josh Windass and is in the market for half-a-dozen new recruits ahead of Rangers’ Premiership title challenge next term.

Rangers will hope to round off their campaign with Scottish Cup success when they face Hibernian at Hampden on Saturday, May 21 but there is plenty of work to be done in the following weeks.

Warburton said: “We’ve always tried to get our permanent signings in as early as possible to bed them in knowing any EPL loans will come last week in July, first couple of days in August.

“That’s how it always works. They go away with their first teams, they’ll travel wherever they go whether it’s Singapore, Malaysia or North America, then if we do get them it’ll be that last week in July. So get your permanents in as early as possible.

“We don’t work like that (with a firm budget), we go on a case by case basis and put our players forward and why we think they add value and quality to the squad. Then we go from there.

“Up until now we’ve had great support. Conversations have been very positive, communication lines between Stuart (Robertson) and Andrew (Dickson) have been first class so we are in a good place right now.”

The Light Blues squad will report back to Murray Park on June 18 and will spend time in America over the summer before a potential crack at the Europa League or the first domestic action next term.

And boss Warburton hopes to have as many new faces on board as quickly as possible to ensure his side are up to speed ahead of the big kick-off.

He said: “We have been working for weeks and weeks. The groundwork has been going on probably since the January window closed to try and identify the targets, the likelihood of securing them, what might it cost, what might prevent us, what could be the curveball.

“You can be right down to the wire on a signing and it falls down at the last minute. You see it time and time again.

“We have been at medicals with players when suddenly they have gone, there is a copy of the paper on the chair where he was and he is up the M6. That is how it works.

“So we have to make sure that all the work is done and we get them over the line. Ideally, we report back here on June 18, and we would want as many of our permanents in as possible by then if we can do that.”

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my only problem with Warburton, I wish he wouldn't say these things, I wish he wouldn't talk about how many players he wants or who he wants or when he wants them.

It only sets a goal that he'll either achieve - in which case big deal

Or he won't get them in time or he won't get them all then people use his quote to criticize him. Saying he wants 6 pplayers by the 18th does no one any favours

41 minutes ago, Willis said:

This is my only problem with Warburton, I wish he wouldn't say these things, I wish he wouldn't talk about how many players he wants or who he wants or when he wants them.

Or he won't get them in time or he won't get them all then people use his quote to criticize him. Saying he wants 6 pplayers by the 18th does no one any favours

He said he wanted 1 or 2 signings back in January and ended with 4 or 5,so who knows what could happen in the summer.

The professional way our club is run currently is night and day. I always felt that even during our most successful periods we didn't have a proper scouting network so it is great to so this beginning to fall into place. I like the idea that MW will probably have known intended targets for weeks, so there is no panic, nothing in the press and juts quietly going about business. Our club is total class at the moment, long may it continue. 

1 hour ago, Willis said:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with what he says, the paper has said half a dozen more on top of the two lads pre-signed, MW has never stated any number on top of that, only numbers he has said is 4 or 5 new signings for all we know that includes those two as they are new signings.

There is also nothing wrong about trying to work to a preferable deadline and nothing wrong stating it, it's clear, it's concise and it's honest and makes sense.

He has also not mentioned what players he wants to come in, players linked with us during the January transfer window were leaked by other clubs/scouts not our management team.

It's refreshing having someone in charge who has access to a wider market who he does his homework on and who won't pay over the odds for, after the last few years where we've been stuck with last minute panic buys and paying over the odds when there have been fees, I prefer this type of business being conducted than what we've suffered with in the past.