Warburton hopes to complete the majority of signings by June 18th

MasterD

1 hour ago, Willis said:

This is my only problem with Warburton, I wish he wouldn't say these things, I wish he wouldn't talk about how many players he wants or who he wants or when he wants them.

It only sets a goal that he'll either achieve - in which case big deal

Or he won't get them in time or he won't get them all then people use his quote to criticize him. Saying he wants 6 pplayers by the 18th does no one any favours

They won't criticise Warburton, they'll critics the board for "not supporting him".

People should remember this will be the ideal scenario and transfers rarely run smoothly for a variety of reasons.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Willis said:

This is my only problem with Warburton, I wish he wouldn't say these things, I wish he wouldn't talk about how many players he wants or who he wants or when he wants them.

It only sets a goal that he'll either achieve - in which case big deal

Or he won't get them in time or he won't get them all then people use his quote to criticize him. Saying he wants 6 pplayers by the 18th does no one any favours

If he's quiet folk will criticise that nothing is getting done - I kinda like not speaking about it till the deed is done but hard to critique him keeping us informed 

Cannot fault what the gaffer says here. Media is gonna make mischief no matter what, cue much gnashing of their gums over his failure to identify targets , followed by speculation linking us to all and sundry. When they continually get it wrong snide digs will be directed  at the club (30 million war chest, etc) to cover for their own failings and to attempt to draw the gaffer on our business when he's made it plain that we will be respectful and keep matters private until they have been completed. I seriously can't fault MW here, it's the media that are constantly being pricks.

32 minutes ago, Poetry_In_Blue said:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with what he says, the paper has said half a dozen more on top of the two lads pre-signed, MW has never stated any number on top of that, only numbers he has said is 4 or 5 new signings for all we know that includes those two as they are new signings.

There is also nothing wrong about trying to work to a preferable deadline and nothing wrong stating it, it's clear, it's concise and it's honest and makes sense.

He has also not mentioned what players he wants to come in, players linked with us during the January transfer window were leaked by other clubs/scouts not our management team.

It's refreshing having someone in charge who has access to a wider market who he does his homework on and who won't pay over the odds for, after the last few years where we've been stuck with last minute panic buys and paying over the odds when there have been fees, I prefer this type of business being conducted than what we've suffered with in the past.

Youre right, but what does him saying it acheive?

If he says he wants six and gets them then no one bats an eye, they just say "well he got the 6 players he wanted"

If he doesnt manage to get all 6 then the rumor and speculation starts.

He doesnt need to say how many he wants, it gives him no advantage whatsoever, just gives a benchmark to the fans and the media who will comment if its not reached.

I said the same about King when he said he wanted X amount of players brought in.

Id prefer they'd just do their transfer business in private and only mention it when we've made a signing.

Look what happened when the tarriers paraded Mo Johnston in a celtic top only for him to sign for us shortly after, I know this isnt the same but it’s the kind of thing I want us to avoid.

That said, its not a huge deal, just something im not a huge fan of.

35 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

If he's quiet folk will criticise that nothing is getting done - I kinda like not speaking about it till the deed is done but hard to critique him keeping us informed 

Yes but then when we actually do make a signing that will shut them up.

On the other hand if he says hes going to make a signing then doesnt people will comment on that.

Probably need a good few especially IF we are to have European football. Can’t have a sparse squad when playing in 4 competitions.

Windas and Crooks bring the numbers up already but I expect a few to go like Bell, Templeton, Law and Clark. We also have the two loan boys with probably only Ball having the chance of staying next season.

5 hours ago, rfc1990 said:

I reckon we already have a few players signed up and we're just waiting for the end of the season to announce them.

Can`t remember which one specifically but in another one of the press conferences recently he certainly seemed to give off that impression

It has to be noted, he said this during January and for one reason or another we ended up missing out on Big Dave and MOH came in on the last day. 

I think the board need to recognise the managers needs/wants to have his players in early and take swifter action than they did during the Jan transfer window. 

We have to get our business done early because realistically we could be looking at 10 new signings this summer.

Ball, Zelalem & King are all due to go back to their clubs (although I think a couple of them might be back) Templeton, Clark, Shiels & Law are all out of contract and you would expect all of them to leave & hopefully we can shift Bell on too.

Even with Crooks & Windass coming in that still leaves us six down on where we are now and that's without even factoring the possibility of European football too.

We have loans due back but I think Thompson, Hardie & possibly Walsh are the only ones who might go on to play regular first team football with us and even then I think they will be loaned out again next season.

There's a lot of work to be done.

12 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

We have to get our business done early because realistically we could be looking at 10 new signings this summer.

Ball, Zelalem & King are all due to go back to their clubs (although I think a couple of them might be back) Templeton, Clark, Shiels & Law are all out of contract and you would expect all of them to leave & hopefully we can shift Bell on too.

Even with Crooks & Windass coming in that still leaves us six down on where we are now and that's without even factoring the possibility of European football too.

We have loans due back but I think Thompson, Hardie & possibly Walsh are the only ones who might go on to play regular first team football with us and even then I think they will be loaned out again next season.

There's a lot of work to be done.

I didnt realize Bell was still signed to us

1 hour ago, Willis said:

Yes but then when we actually do make a signing that will shut them up.

On the other hand if he says hes going to make a signing then doesnt people will comment on that.

I agree People will comment either way - and some negatively no matter what he does 

I sure hope he gets every player he tries to get, but there might be some failures.

I'm thinking of failures in the Scott Allen mode where hivs just wouldn't contemplate sending him to us and he ends up sitting in septic's reserves. That could easily happen again with, for instance. if we offered Cummings a contract.

What we should try to remember is what MW said when he came here. He only wanted players that wanted to play for Rangers and were enthusiastic, and we can point out in negotiations with such players where they can end up if they refuse the opportunity to play for Rangers.

Another thing is that we also have around 11 players out on loan to come back and a couple of them should be prime for the MW treatment next season, as well as a few more loans, but not Zelazem! lol

Love the sound of it, lets just hope it's bing, bang, boom and we are set, but it's the what if's that get you, what if we get a deadline day offer for Tav that is crazy how do you plan for that.

We missed the guy that went to Leeds, for more than we thought he was worth, most thought that's a good bit of business. The media tried to make something off it but the fan base just treated them with the scorn they were due, I want to see that same level headed approach from us.