Rangers Crest

So this is quite lazy but I was thinking about our crest after reading another thread. Does anyone know the history behind them and why there are 3/4 examples. I know over the years they change at a lot of clubs just wondered if anyone knew the story behind ours? 

image.jpeg

image.png

image.png

image.png

6 minutes ago, bringonthbarca said:

So this is quite lazy but I was thinking about our crest after reading another thread. Does anyone know the history behind them and why there are 3/4 examples. I know over the years they change at a lot of clubs just wondered if anyone knew the story behind ours? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rangers_F.C.#Crest_and_colours

The famous 'RFC' Scroll crest is instantly recognisable to football fans across the world and is steeped in history.

It is believed to have been used by the Club since its formation in 1872 although the oldest item to be found with this crest stamped on it is from 1881-82 season. The Members Ticket for Rangers' previous home at Kinning Park is now on display in the Ibrox Trophy Room and this traditional design remained in place for over 70 years.

In 1959 the club moved away from this detail, replacing the Scroll crest with a lion and the Club's now famous motto  'READY'.  A new circular look was also chosen, as can be seen from the image taken from a Rangers Handbook from 1959-60. 

At the end of the 60s this again changed with Rangers having to register a new Crest which would become synonymous with the Club.  The 'READY' Crest again featured a circular design but with 'The Rangers Football Club Ltd' shortened to 'Rangers Football Club' on the outer rim.  In the middle a larger football was put in place with the lion and 'Ready' motto more prominent. This has remained the same ever since.

Although the 'RFC' Scroll Crest was omitted in 1959 it made a welcome return in 1968 when it was placed on the club's home jersey for the very first time.  It was later added to the shorts a decade later for the start of the 1978-99 season.

Over the years there have been minor alterations to the Scroll Crest found on the club's strips.  From 1990 to 1994 'Rangers Football Club' and the 'READY' motto were placed above and below the Crest respectively on the Admiral and Adidas manufactured jerseys. 

In 1997-98 the Crest was placed in a shield in what was Nike's first year in partnership with the Club but perhaps the most significant change was before the start of the 2003/04 campaign.  Having clinched their 50th League Championship under the guidance of Alex McLeish, a year in which Rangers secured a domestic Treble, the Club decided to add five stars above the Scoll Crest, one for every ten titles won.

http://www.gersnet.co.uk/index.php/online-museum/club-history/483-the-rangers-crest

7 minutes ago, scottyscott1963 said:

Only the RFC scroll crest has appeared on the shirt and the other 3 have never been on the shirt and were at separate dates :541:  Edited as the answer is above me by Ocean Rain.

Both of these have appeared on shirts.

crest.png

crest2.png

EDIT: You mean the other three in your article, don't you? Ignore me, ffs...

1 hour ago, bringonthbarca said:

I know over the years they change at a lot of clubs just wondered if anyone knew the story behind ours?

Im pretty sure the RFC one is because it stands for Rangers Football Club, dont quote me on that though

19 minutes ago, Bossorange said:

Was it ever used on a kit mate??

17 minutes ago, Willis said:

According to the wiki the classic RFC one is the only one that's ever been on our shirts

Home kits: http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Rangers/Rangers.htm

Away kits: http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Rangers/Rangers-change-kits.html

Just now, OceanRain said:

Cel*ic didn't place the crest on their shirts until the 1977/78 season.

And they only did it so folk could more easily identify pedos in their area

33 minutes ago, WishartsAshes said:

There have been three different scroll badges used on the jerseys

Scroll1.jpgScroll2.jpgScroll3.jpg

Ive just realized that my tattoo is slightly wrong, my tattoo is of the RFC badge without the scroll or the stars, but the C on mine is the same from the middle one here, doesnt have at wee indent on the C like the other badges do its just a point like in the middle one.

10 hours ago, scottyscott1963 said:

That's them :541:  Think Scot Symon used the top one for a few years. Cheers mate. That should help the op.

Davie White was manager when the crest was first used on a strip 1968 , this one 

7693c02ded8bcca3a562043534fc737e.jpg

8563462236_399d9ca97e_m.jpg

Was first used 1990 when Souness was manager