Feeder club

Would you accept it if we became an official feeder club for an EPL team?

Im a little unsure how id feel about it to be honest and an initial reaction would be no way we are bigger than that but if say spurs signed a deal with us and paid us 5million a year plus loaned us their top accademy players as well as our teams having access to their facilities and likewise would you accept it?

A bit of a tin hat subject I guess but im interested to seemwht everyone else thinks.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

All Scottish teams are feeder clubs to these English clubs in a sense.

As soon as we have a player doing well especially in Europe then they are off to the EPL.

As an official feeder club I doubt it would happen.

Pretty much that, any of the Scottish teams have a player that interests EPL teams they're off, financially we can't compete.

I don't have a problem with it,if we can get a good 3-4 years out of a player then offload them down south for a hefty fee then what's the issue?

The problem we've had in the past is that we never had the youth coming through the ranks often enough to replace the players we've sold,Auchenhowie should be like a production line in that regards.

And with Warburton arriving he has laid the foundations for that to happen,the future is looking very bright for us as a club going forward in years to come.

17 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

All Scottish teams are feeder clubs to these English clubs in a sense.

As soon as we have a player doing well especially in Europe then they are off to the EPL.

As an official feeder club I doubt it would happen.

I also doubt it would happen but was interested to see the reaction.

You are right that we essentialy are already but if it was official with us recieving a fee every year plus the prospect of youth player plus the odd first team player in their way back from injury on loan

2 minutes ago, Perth_Campsie_Ger said:

I also doubt it would happen but was interested to see the reaction.

You are right that we essentialy are already but if it was official with us recieving a fee every year plus the prospect of youth player plus the odd first team player in their way back from injury on loan

It has it’s pros and cons really.

Look at Vitesse with Chelsea, they get some of the more talented youngsters in Europe but their fans are not happy because their team is ripped apart every season when the player gets recalled or put somewhere else. You essentially can’t have a bond with those players as you know it’s a short term thing and their heart might not be entirely in it.

Financially it’s beneficial to the club as you get support from the parent club on top of the obvious loans and reduced fees when bringing players in.

For fans it’s not ideal as being one of the biggest clubs in the world you don’t want to be seen as some English clubs bottoms feeders. If anything we should have a feeder club but away out in Europe somewhere but we are not in the situation to do that just now probably.

Regardless if it's us that's someone's feeder club or a smaller team being our feeder club - do these relationships ever work? not just for us but for any team? .. I think the old fashioned way of liking a player from a team and putting an offer in and having a good scouting network looking at every team and market is a much better idea. I don't think feeder clubs and link-ups work.

2 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

It's the term itself I find hard to accept.

Fully aware that we can't hold on to players forever and especially with the huge difference in money available to England compared to Scotland

Im the same to be honest, would be an easy way of getting a slice of the money for giving a team first refusal on a player that is performing well for us?

Realisticly there wont be many players that would move from scotland to a top epl club 

I dont see a situation where Rangers will ever be a feeder club for one EPL club, but to a certain extent players will always move in the direction of richer leagues. Until we have a billionaire in charge, or the makeup of Scottish football and the EPL changes, the best players from our league will always leave eventually. Souness briefly reversed that trend, but was not just financial. English teams were banned from Europe around that time so it was an opportunity for them to have European football. 

What we always have, and what I believe MW tries to sell is our history, huge fanbase, stadium, training facilities and chance of winning trophies and European football. He believes this will attract hungry players with desire and character, as opposed to players who would rather earn more with an average Championship or EPL team than develop. Too often players have left Scotland and gone onto mid table EPL mediocrity. This should stop. Players like that have no ambition. Unless the player is a Rangers fan, it is difficult to begrudge anyone a move to a title challenging EPL or European side if that arose, but players should not be leaving us for Stoke, Sunderland etc...

4 minutes ago, DrLaudrup said:

I dont see a situation where Rangers will ever be a feeder club for one EPL club, but to a certain extent players will always move in the direction of richer leagues. Until we have a billionaire in charge, or the makeup of Scottish football and the EPL changes, the best players from our league will always leave eventually. Souness briefly reversed that trend, but was not just financial. English teams were banned from Europe around that time so it was an opportunity for them to have European football. 

What we always have, and what I believe MW tries to sell is our history, huge fanbase, stadium, training facilities and chance of winning trophies and European football. He believes this will attract hungry players with desire and character, as opposed to players who would rather earn more with an average Championship or EPL team than develop. Too often players have left Scotland and gone onto mid table EPL mediocrity. This should stop. Players like that have no ambition. Unless the player is a Rangers fan, it is difficult to begrudge anyone a move to a title challenging EPL or European side if that arose, but players should not be leaving us for Stoke, Sunderland etc...

A thing I have thought about for a while that will never happen is that there should be a limit on domestic transfers to the old firm, look at dundee utd a few seasons ago, they had a decent team and are now getting relegated  after selling their team to ceptic, the more competative the league the more fans will attend and the more money there will be for better players resulting in a better product

10 minutes ago, Perth_Campsie_Ger said:

A thing I have thought about for a while that will never happen is that there should be a limit on domestic transfers to the old firm, look at dundee utd a few seasons ago, they had a decent team and are now getting relegated  after selling their team to ceptic, the more competative the league the more fans will attend and the more money there will be for better players resulting in a better product

It is an interesting idea but difficult to see how it could work. Obviously Celtic are the main culprits at the moment by essentially plundering Dundee Utd's best players. You could argue that says more about the relationship between Thompson, Macnamara and Lawell. If I was a Hivs fan :hanged: i'd be furious to see someone like Allan go to them and not play. That is an issue for him though. Guys like Kevin Thompson and Scott Brown obviously left and had good careers.

Going back to 9IAR, guys like Davie Robertson, Alan McLaren, Ian Ferguson, Goram and even squad players like Bollan and Cleland were all signed from other Scottish teams and were mainstays for us. I don't think you can impose a limit to just the Old Firm as you suggest, that would require the league to admit we are special and need special treatment which they will never do. 

1 hour ago, Perth_Campsie_Ger said:

Would you accept it if we became an official feeder club for an EPL team?

Im a little unsure how id feel about it to be honest and an initial reaction would be no way we are bigger than that but if say spurs signed a deal with us and paid us 5million a year plus loaned us their top accademy players as well as our teams having access to their facilities and likewise would you accept it?

A bit of a tin hat subject I guess but im interested to seemwht everyone else thinks.

Nope not for me - bad enough we are a selling club and I'm not to keen on even having loan players in as I feel we should be only developing our own. Being a feeder club is just acceptance of being a second tier club - I have better ambition for the club than that! 

38 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Just does not sit right with me.

Of course we should sell when the price is right, but we can do that without being an official feeder club.

It doesn't with me either.

I know it is going to happen but to think shite like Norwich can blow us away financially just annoys the fuck out of me.

But that's what happens when the winner of our premier league gets less than 3% of the money given to the worse team in the EPL. In fact next season the fee for ONE game for them would pay our champions for winning it 4 years  ?

I despise the very thought of the term 'official feeder club' being applied to Rangers! We are, at the very least, as big as ANY club in the EPL and beyond! However, reality bites....we truly are hamstrung in Scotland, with the obvious financial constraints we have to operate under, leaving us impotent in the marketplace, in many ways, when it comes to player recruitment, transfer fees, signing on fees, salaries etc! Therefore, and this really is the bottom line, we HAVE to build good relations with big clubs down south if it means improving our lot in the current climate! The consolation for us, apart from the prospect and obvious benefits of potentially seeing stars of the future in Royal Blue for a time, is that we appear to have a manager in MW who we can trust to conduct our business in this regard in such a way as to keep our dignity as a club intact!!

:7326:WATP:uk:

41 minutes ago, DrLaudrup said:

It is an interesting idea but difficult to see how it could work. Obviously Celtic are the main culprits at the moment by essentially plundering Dundee Utd's best players. You could argue that says more about the relationship between Thompson, Macnamara and Lawell. If I was a Hivs fan :hanged: i'd be furious to see someone like Allan go to them and not play. That is an issue for him though. Guys like Kevin Thompson and Scott Brown obviously left and had good careers.

Going back to 9IAR, guys like Davie Robertson, Alan McLaren, Ian Ferguson, Goram and even squad players like Bollan and Cleland were all signed from other Scottish teams and were mainstays for us. I don't think you can impose a limit to just the Old Firm as you suggest, that would require the league to admit we are special and need special treatment which they will never do. 

I agree that it couldnt be limited to the old firm thats why I know it wont happen. There should be somthing in place tho, its wrong that when teams are performing well the old firm can buy the players come january and the competition falls away. Id love a leauge where there is 4 or 5 teams competing for the title forcing us to find better players from outside scotland to imorove the squad which in turn attracts epl clubs and we make a profit and invest in youth as well as better players

Feeder club? No.

Club that produces talent for minimal fees and sells on to English clubs when its clear the player is far too good for Scottish football, then yes. The best part is it will cost nothing for these players with MW in charge our youth will shine through.  

Feeder clubs are ripped apart. Look at hivs-cellic then dundee utd-cellic. Ripped the very soul out them.

Our biggest issue, like I've said plenty of times is PR. We need to essentially sell the qualities the players we want to sell, and inflate his price tag.