Are the players mentally fucked

bordersbear

They can and will continue to say all the correct things, but letting performances slip like this and then hoping to get it back for a one off game is very difficult to do.

This reminds me of the run up to the '94 cup final angainst united when we were going for back to back trebles.

I thinks it is psychological, that extra 5% that comes from the desire and the need to win that all the effort in the world cant bring, its not physical although you could forgive guys like Tav who's been ever present, look at Kenny's wee turn of pace in the first half its not lack of effort.

i m not really concerned, the players are just ticking over and the games are dead rubbers, feel for the fans who travel though its a lot of effort for them and I kinda think the players owe them a performance for that.

As long as the desire and hunger returns for the cup final.

I think we peaked during the Celtic game.  We've won the league, beat Celtic, and now the teams hit a bad patch.  I'd rather they hit a patch now when all the must win games are over.  They do however need to lift themselves back up again for the Cup final and I'm sure they will.  As long as we win that final it's been almost a perfect season for us. 

Complacency has definitely crept in at Ibrox and maybe not a bad thing because  we can fix it before the final. Bottom line is that though regrettable, we're playing non competitive football at the moment due to players focusing only on the final and wanting to steer clear of injuries. That said we need to put in a performance against St midden to stem the tide before doubt creeps in.

9 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

I think we peaked during the Celtic game.  We've won the league, beat Celtic, and now the teams hit a bad patch.  I'd rather they hit a patch now when all the must win games are over.  They do however need to lift themselves back up again for the Cup final and I'm sure they will.  As long as we win that final it's been almost a perfect season for us. 

You're a hard man.:P

Shows how expectations have changed in 12 months,  I'd have said winning the scottish cup, the petrofact cup and winning the championship in style would have been a perfect season in August, now I'm wondering what might have been had we not been caught by a few counters by st johnstone.

Lets not forget when contemplating a result like that tonight how much those players have achieved this season.

5 minutes ago, wewillfollowrangers said:

You're a hard man.:P

Shows how expectations have changed in 12 months,  I'd have said winning the scottish cup, the petrofact cup and winning the championship in style would have been a perfect season in August, now I'm wondering what might have been had we not been caught by a few counters by st johnstone.

Lets not forget when contemplating a result like that tonight how much those players have achieved this season.

If at the start of the season we were offered automatic promotion and a Scottish Cup win I'd have bitten your hands off.  Winning the Challenge Cup was a bonus in that we can now say we did it.  I couldn't care less about the League Cup and getting knocked out of it was probably a blessing in disguise.  A perfect season would've been 4 trophies, it looks like we'll win 3, I'm delighted (tu)

No tonight showed us how much of a thin squad we have, we had the ball but did fuck all with it. Without Holt, Waghorn, Forrester and McKay we were devoid of ideas and lacked the quality to breakdown a stubborn defence. As soon as Holt and McKay came on there was an instant improvement. I hope to fuck Waghorn and Forrester are back for the final because they have been sorely missed. 

The fringe players are fringe players for a reason, last night was a chance to show what they could do bossing the game and it just never happened it worked in reverse and the best team won, as above when Holt and McKay were introduced the whole game changed (albeit we still never scored) if we do want to carry a lean squad they all must be game changers not make up the numbers players, Tav and Miller of the starting 11 were imo the only ones to gain pass marks.

Law/Sheils/Templeton/Clark loanees King and Zalalem don't anywhere near pull their weight and wont be missed.

This is a vip transfer window that's for sure, my balloons been popped three times since last Sundays elation.

We just have some average players ,and a poor bench. Couple of injuries and we have to use people that can't perform. 

We better hope the players coming in go straight into the first team, or we will be struggling.

Also this get the ball to the ball and play it side to side until they think think see a break isn't always helping, we need people to shoot now and again, where is albertz when you need him.

They should be playing with a sense of freedom. Pressure is off and if they wanted they could be play really attacking, direct football. League already won so what's the worst that could happen? Would giving it a good go and getting beat 3-1 or 4-2 be any worse than doing what we're doing now and going down 1-0? 

I'm disappointed but not overly concerned. If I remember right, the Arsenal won the PL with four games to spare in 98, lost the remaining dead rubber games, then beat Newcastle convincingly in the FA cup final. 

Not the best comparison but it shows that these sort of things happen. Still hope to f**k we seriously up our game and gub St Mirren by 3 or 4 goals.

if they have no desire to go out there and play even though the league is won then warburton should be dropping them. put some new guys in. isn't that what he always says? you need to earn your place? most of them don't deserve to be there right now. 

The only positive of this for me is that MW now knows all about these players both physically and mentally going into the summer transfer window. As a result therefore he will know exactly the players and areas he will need to strengthen (if he doesn't know already)!

Don't think its mental fatigue at all. The players have shown they can peak when needed, petrofac cup final, semi-final and pulling away from Hibs in the league from 4-2 game onwards. As disappointing as it's been to watch I simply think they've been preserving their fitness and health prior to the cup final, even subconsciously. Livi have been hammerthrowers against us all season, which of our squad would want to join Harry or Waggy and risk missing out on the final? These are essentially meaningless games, hard for us to watch but still meaningless. The uproar if a Tav, Barry or Waldo was injured would be frightful. I do have sympathy for our fans that like me have travelled to these games but I feel we should take a realistic view of their importance.

12 hours ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

?